The Student Room Group

Father fell out with me over the census...

Scroll to see replies

Ah, if my mum saw I ticked no religion she would have gone crazy. End of the day it's your views so there's nothing he can do about it.
Original post by Schumacher
You are born in Scotland, you are Scottish.

Don't get involved with all the rubbish we get about pretending to be Irish or whatever. You're born and bred in this nation, not Ireland.

Huh?

You are born in England, you are English.
You are born in France, you are French.
You are born in Germany, you are German.

Err, no? Your ethnicity stays the same.
Reply 22
Original post by 0utset
Oi you why dont you **** back to where you came from :smile:

Your dads just your dad everyone has their opinion, You fill out the nationality you feel you are it makes no difference its a piece of paper..

Id tell him that, its pointless to argue you are what you are and he has no say...

@schumacher - I wish more people read that :biggrin:

I've lived in the same county/country my whole life. :smile:
Reply 23
Does it matter? I'm half Irish, half Thai- all Tharish. Born in Saudi, grew up on a air force base with British kids, spent some time in a Thai boarding school full of Taiwanese children and I now study in a Scottish University, been here for the last 3 years.

I wrote, Irish-Scottish I think. My religion is Jedi.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
He has now apologised but said he should've done more to 'instill a stronger sense of Irish identity'(!!)

So...he basically wanted to get more incredibly drunk with you all the time... :biggrin:
get over it... your pathetic
watch out he'll put a nail bomb in you car :P
Reply 27
Original post by Fabtastic
Wtf - what happened exactly ? :p:

I was like 15, I came home later than she wanted me too (about 10pm). I was like I'm really sorry, and she said OK, and EVERYTHING WAS FINE...

Then she accidentally turned off the TV with the Sky remote control, and I kept trying to tell her how to put it back on (it was really easy), but she was like no, be quiet I'll do it.

And then out of nowhere she flipped, and went crazy and was like get out of my house, and wouldn't see reason.

I ended up sleeping in my dad's car (this was before he passed away).

But yeah... My mum is one crazy bitch. :colonhash:
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous

I mean, someone tell me he's behaved completely out of order here and I've not done anything wrong? In the nineteen years of my life I can honestly say we've never had such a fight and I'm miserable over this. He has now apologised but said he should've done more to 'instill a stronger sense of Irish identity'(!!)

If you didn't live in a country that historically...and currently...has a problem with sectarianism, then you and your father would not have come to grief over your actions. If you can just take a step back and look at both sides as impartially as possible, you will maybe appreciate that for a father to see his child take on the identity of a nation that has been perceived as an enemy of Ireland for hundred of years would be felt as a betrayal of his roots.

Let's draw a comparison: a Jewish child of Israeli parents brought up in Palestine would affend his/her parents if he adopted feelings of loyalty and identity to Palestine and Palestinians...because of the long-term conflict that's been plaguing the two identities. Then let's look at say, Australia or the USA. These problems never arise because there has been no emnity (or short-lived emnity) between these countries and Ireland.

History has a lot to answer to in these situations. Try and empathise a little more and apologise to your father for failing to understand the enormity of his feelings...and tell him not to blame himself for your lack of Irish identity, explaining that sometimes environment play a much bigger part in how we turn out than either nature or nuture.

I see my dad all the time and we never, ever fight over this, let alone discuss it really.

Build those bridges with your dad by talking in a mutually respectful manner, trying to understand how he feels and appealing to him to try to understand how you feel. And reassure him that you are proud of your Irish roots whilst not feeling Irish. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Yawn11
I was like 15, I came home later than she wanted me too (about 10pm). I was like I'm really sorry, and she said OK, and EVERYTHING WAS FINE...

Then she accidentally turned off the TV with the Sky remote control, and I kept trying to tell her how to put it back on (it was really easy), but she was like no, be quiet I'll do it.

And then out of nowhere she flipped, and went crazy and was like get out of my house, and wouldn't see reason.

I ended up sleeping in my dad's car (this was before he passed away).

But yeah... My mum is one crazy bitch. :colonhash:

That's wayy past anyone's bedtime ! :hmmm:

Sorry to hear that man.

I've always got threats about being thrown out of the house but luckily I always manage to talk my way out it it :colondollar:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by im so academic
Huh?

Christ was born in a stable...was He a horse? :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Original post by J_90
I think I put mine in the bin....

Fairly sure you get in trouble / fined if you don't do it..
Reply 32
Original post by Jallenbah

Ah cool.
Reply 33
Original post by yawn
If you didn't live in a country that historically...and currently...has a problem with sectarianism, then you and your father would not have come to grief over your actions. If you can just take a step back and look at both sides as impartially as possible, you will maybe appreciate that for a father to see his child take on the identity of a nation that has been perceived as an enemy of Ireland for hundred of years would be felt as a betrayal of his roots.

Let's draw a comparison: a Jewish child of Israeli parents brought up in Palestine would affend his/her parents if he adopted feelings of loyalty and identity to Palestine and Palestinians...because of the long-term conflict that's been plaguing the two identities. Then let's look at say, Australia or the USA. These problems never arise because there has been no emnity (or short-lived emnity) between these countries and Ireland.

History has a lot to answer to in these situations. Try and empathise a little more and apologise to your father for failing to understand the enormity of his feelings...and tell him not to blame himself for your lack of Irish identity, explaining that sometimes environment play a much bigger part in how we turn out than either nature or nuture.

Build those bridges with your dad by talking in a mutually respectful manner, trying to understand how he feels and appealing to him to try to understand how you feel. And reassure him that you are proud of your Irish roots whilst not feeling Irish. :smile:

You know OP said he feels Scottish not English right? :p:

Original post by yawn
Christ was born in a stable...was He a horse? :rolleyes:

The country you were born in is slightly different to the building you were born in.. (Also nationality is not really comparable to species, slight racism there?).

Plus 'Christ' wasn't born anywhere but thats another thread entirely.
I put down Jedi. I'm not going to reveal my true identity.
Reply 35
Original post by LtCommanderData
Born and raised isn't the same as born and bred

Original post by im so academic
Huh?

The OP is born in Scotland, has been raised in Scotland and considers themselves to be Scottish.

Their father wants them to put down Irish for reasons which I don't want to go into and have absolutely no relation to the census whatsoever.
Original post by Schumacher
The OP is born in Scotland, has been raised in Scotland and considers themselves to be Scottish.

Their father wants them to put down Irish for reasons which I don't want to go into and have absolutely no relation to the census whatsoever.

My point was purely a language one (which I feel still stands), I was making no judgement either way about the situation at hand.

Personally, I wrote "none" for national identity
Reply 37
Original post by LtCommanderData
My point was purely a language one (which I feel still stands), I was making no judgement either way about the situation at hand.

Personally, I wrote "none" for national identity

Fair enough.

It's just a really stupid issue which hinders Scotland and is actually quite childish.

But each to their own and all that..
Reply 38
Aww, I was expecting a "I came out on the census" thread. TSR, I am disappoint.

Original post by Jallenbah

Not if you pretend you're not in when the woman with the clipboard comes round. (they only come round once)

Original post by Mithra
Plus 'Christ' wasn't born anywhere but thats another thread entirely.

What? You're denying that Jesus even existed? :s-smilie:
Reply 39
Original post by JoeTSR
What? You're denying that Jesus even existed? :s-smilie:

Its very suspect, put it that way :p:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending