The Student Room Group

Are ugly people better when it comes to relationships?

I've noticed that a lot of good looking people I knew from school and now at uni don't seem to have relationships that are very succesful. On the other hand quite a few ugly/less attractive people seem to be really happy and have been in good relationships from a lengthy time. I'm not sure if less attractive people are more inclined to go for personality more or they are just happy to settle for something rather than nothing.
Maybe they feel "lucky" to have a relationship in the first place so more likely to try and make it work?

Whereas good looking people may be more arrogant and more likely to move on.

Again this is all just generalizing.
It's probably because ugly people stop caring about who other people are snogging and don't stalk other people to try and find pointless correlations between attractiveness and lengths of relationships. Us people with either low self esteem or "boring" lives like to focus on things that matter more than sex or girlfriends.

I know, it seems counterintuitive at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's rather pleasant. You also tend to focus more on work and unequivocal jibes at your substandard sex life go through one ear and out the other, which causes people around you who are trapped in the vicious net of "OMG I DONT HAVE A GF" to start idolising you, and eventually to begin fancying you (as age increases and immaturity decreases).

In conclusion, <insert cliché about being oneself or some other Disney movie line here>. (Personally, I like the one with Mufasa appearing as a vision in the stars to Simba in LK1, but you may take your pick).
Personality aside, maybe the ugly/less attractive people are actually really hot in bed. :sexface:
Original post by ithoughtofthis
Personality aside, maybe the ugly/less attractive people are actually really hot in bed. :sexface:

I concur.

:sexface:
Reply 5
I'd say no.

My mate thought that, tried it out, discovered he was more of a ****. Showed off to his friends and stuff because he thought she was out of his league.

It's about the person not their looks apparently. :rollseye:
Reply 6
Original post by kanyewest
I've noticed that a lot of good looking people I knew from school and now at uni don't seem to have relationships that are very succesful. On the other hand quite a few ugly/less attractive people seem to be really happy and have been in good relationships from a lengthy time. I'm not sure if less attractive people are more inclined to go for personality more or they are just happy to settle for something rather than nothing.

who are we to decide, whose ugly and whose not?
Original post by ithoughtofthis

I agree :sexface:
Reply 8
Ugly people are better in bed, cause they're grateful for the attention, so they put some effort in.
Firstly, everyone is beautiful in their own way :smile:

But to answer your question; those who want it to work, will make it work. Those who don't, won't. I don't think being better looking or worse looking (which imo is bizarrely categorical), makes much of a difference. Some 'better' looking people may be shallower and pick at the negatives in their partner. In which case they need to grow the **** up and accept nobody is perfect. Some 'not-so-good' looking people may be more appreciative, or something along those lines.

Relationships, are more than first instincts. A lot of relationships that work could be between people who initially had not so much attraction, or you didn't think they were such a nice person, but when you got to know them, you liked their personality and overlooked the negatives in them.

At the end of the day, it's down to the two people. If they want it to work and both work hard to try and make it work, it will.

Quick Reply

Latest