The Student Room Group

A2 Negative feedback - Blood Glucose?

Hi, we haven't really covered this section (teacher pulled a "now i want you to go away and learn this" on us -.-)
I'm going to summarise what i assume is correct for this section and want people to tell me how right/wrong i am. Ty :smile:

When there's high blood glucose, the molecules bind to receptors the beta cell membranes in Islets of Langerhans. The cells secrete insulin into the blood, which binds to receptors on liver cells. The insulin causes the permeability of the cells to increase so they take up more glucose. The glucose is converted into glycogen which is stored, hence lowering glucose levels.
When there's low blood glucose, cells in the pancreas secrete glucagon into the bloodstream, which binds to receptors on the liver cells. This converts the stored glycogen into glucose, increasing glucose concentration.

Is this ^ right? That's the basic gist that i've got from reading about it, correct me if i'm wrong please.
Reply 1
Original post by tom1817
Hi, we haven't really covered this section (teacher pulled a "now i want you to go away and learn this" on us -.-)
I'm going to summarise what i assume is correct for this section and want people to tell me how right/wrong i am. Ty :smile:

When there's high blood glucose, the molecules bind to receptors the beta cell membranes in Islets of Langerhans. The cells secrete insulin into the blood, which binds to receptors on liver cells. The insulin causes the permeability of the cells to increase so they take up more glucose. The glucose is converted into glycogen which is stored, hence lowering glucose levels.
When there's low blood glucose, cells in the pancreas secrete glucagon into the bloodstream, which binds to receptors on the liver cells. This converts the stored glycogen into glucose, increasing glucose concentration.

Is this ^ right? That's the basic gist that i've got from reading about it, correct me if i'm wrong please.

Yep it seems right to me.
Reply 2
Do i need any more detail than that?
Cause there's an essay on "Negative Feedback In Living Organisms", would that be enough detail for something like that? (Padded out a bit ofc)
Reply 3
Well if it's negative feedback in living organisms I would include osmoregulation and thermoregulation in hot blooded animals. I would also mention that this is to achieve homeostasis.
Reply 4
I've done a bit about thermoregulation in humans, and imo it's pretty well the same for animals?
I'll add osmoregulation too, thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by tom1817
I've done a bit about thermoregulation in humans, and imo it's pretty well the same for animals?
I'll add osmoregulation too, thanks.

Yeah the things you learn for thermoregulation in humans are very similar to that of most mammals.
Reply 6
I've done sweating, vasodilation/constriction, increaded adrenaline secretion and shivering, and i'm about to go into blood glucose.
Thanks for all the advice :adore:
Original post by tom1817

@ the bit in bold; NO! it is sufficient to know that increased*** blood glucose causes the beta cells to secrete insulin but that is not the (main and best characterised) mechanism by which they do so.

also note; other peripheral tissues can store glycogen (e.g. muscle glycogen > liver glycogen) and it is not the only way to convert glucose to a storage molecule (!!). in addition; other tissues respond to insulin (adipose etc) whereas glycogen's effects are primarily at the liver. the mechanisms by which insulin and glucagon influence cellular metabolism are also more complex that simply turning on/off the production of glycogen. for example; do you want glycolysis going on if you have low blood glucose (where there is increased glucagon)?

just so you don't go away thinking about glucose metabolism the wrong way - it's far far more complex and finely regulated than you are suggesting :tongue:.

ps: for a fun extra thought, how might you suppose 'glucose permeability' in the liver (and other tissues) is increased by the action of insulin? recalling from AS the action of a certain kind of membrane protein
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by John Locke
@ the bit in bold; NO! it is sufficient to know that decreased blood glucose causes the beta cells to secrete insulin but that is not the (main and best characterised) mechanism by which they do so.

also note; other peripheral tissues can store glycogen (e.g. muscle glycogen > liver glycogen) and it is not the only way to convert glucose to a storage molecule (!!). in addition; other tissues respond to insulin (adipose etc) whereas glycogen's effects are primarily at the liver. the mechanisms by which insulin and glucagon influence cellular metabolism are also more complex that simply turning on/off the production of glycogen. for example; do you want glycolysis going on if you have low blood glucose (where there is increased glucagon)?

just so you don't go away thinking about glucose metabolism the wrong way - it's far far more complex and finely regulated than you are suggesting :tongue:.

ps: for a fun extra thought, how might you suppose 'glucose permeability' in the liver (and other tissues) is increased by the action of insulin? recalling from AS the action of a certain kind of membrane protein

Pardon? :p:
Original post by Ataloss
Pardon? :p:

how embarrassing :tongue: hahaha! lucky job someone noticed!

duly editted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending