The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good luck guys :smile: ..wish you all the best..!

Its a hecka lot of work for you from now till interviews, but just take all the things one by one and it should be ok :smile:
Original post by navarre
It's real, and the topic is the coagulation of milk- only vaguely related to enzymes. It's those random as **** questions that get me, the ones you cannot revise or prepare for, no matter what you do.

I know what you mean and the EMPA and HOW SCIENCE WORKS are what i really hate about the Biology course. But just stay calm, read around the subject, look through practice papers and learn key word terms, then when those *****d up questions come then make intelligent guesses :smile:

when you got it?
Original post by navarre
It's real, and the topic is the coagulation of milk- only vaguely related to enzymes. It's those random as **** questions that get me, the ones you cannot revise or prepare for, no matter what you do.

had task 1 today; twas cryptic bull****
Reply 643
Original post by SylveeDiggs
I know what you mean and the EMPA and HOW SCIENCE WORKS are what i really hate about the Biology course. But just stay calm, read around the subject, look through practice papers and learn key word terms, then when those *****d up questions come then make intelligent guesses :smile:

when you got it?

Wednesday (practical), Friday (exam)

Ironically, I love practicals like EMPAs- because it's the only time you can do a practical by yourself, and it's the one time the school has all the scientific equipment for it.

Hate the exam, mind
Original post by navarre
Wednesday (practical), Friday (exam)

Ironically, I love practicals like EMPAs- because it's the only time you can do a practical by yourself, and it's the one time the school has all the scientific equipment for it.

Hate the exam, mind

trust me it helps if you actually like them, makes things so much easier. From what i gather you should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 645
hello there I am hoping to apply to medicine for 2012 entry too! :biggrin:
Original post by SteveCrain
Incidentally, I quit after the first 2 days

You got work experience and then quit after two days? Do you mind if I ask why?
Original post by Stegosaurus
You got work experience and then quit after two days? Do you mind if I ask why?

Because I was sat with the nurses from 9-5 listening to them bitch about the one out of the room and bringing them cups of tea.
Reply 648
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
:frown: I just want to live in a big city and go to a PBL uni. :redface: What about you?

Why PBL? :smile:
Reply 649
Because I was sat with the nurses from 9-5 listening to them bitch about the one out of the room and bringing them cups of tea.

That must've been so awkward.

So a doctor agreed to take you on for work experience and then didn't actually provide you with any work experience? How bizarre :s-smilie:
Original post by Stegosaurus
So a doctor agreed to take you on for work experience and then didn't actually provide you with any work experience? How bizarre :s-smilie:

A doctor agreed to allow me into the GPs surgery. I did sat in once or twice aswell, so it's not that bad.

Anyway, for most people it's not for the experience but to write it down on their PS. I have other experience anyway.
Reply 652
im doing biology chemistry maths an physics i love it but it can be a real pain sometimes :smile:
all thebest to everyone :biggrin:
Original post by t_star
Imperial Birmingham Nottingham and St Georges :smile:

How about you?? :smile:

Im trying to put 2 BMAT 2 UKCAT
probably UCL/IC + Cambridge; and 2 others 1 being insurance
p.s. i LOVE London
Original post by LaMode0914
I NEED WORK EXPERIENCE!!! Haven't got any so far..how do u get it? All places have said no to me :frown:

Be persistent. I contacted around 15 GP surgeries before I managed to get some. Initially, the work exp was only meant to be one or two days but because the GP was lovely he let me shadow him for a week. So, yeah, just contact EVERYWHERE, basically. Try private hospitals, apparently they're more lenient than the NHS ones?
HYMS, Aberdeen/Glascow and I'll probably apply to Liverpool.

Oooh, good luck! Hopefully I'll see you at a Liverpool interview in a few months time. :p:
At my school, at the beginning of this academic year, there were 4 people that wanted to do Medicine.
I'm the only one left that's on track to get the grades, and the other three are saying "I don't even know if I want to do medicine any more"

Christ!
Original post by liviaaa
Why PBL? :smile:

I don't have a high enough attention span for lectures which means I'd prob fall asleep and end up self-teaching anyway. :p: PBL involves teaching which I enjoy doing tbh. Plus it's applied knowledge the whole way through so you get the medical feel the whole way through. And I know it's immature but I love the idea of trawling through books and journals and websites for info... plus you can go into however much or little detail you want with topics (within reason but you know what I mean lolz) so I can go mad with the topics I enjoy and skim through the ones I don't. Studies've shown that while integrated/traditional students have known more than the PBLers while studying, the PBLers retain more afterwards. And it cuts down on the boring nitty-gritty science bits. :colondollar:

Would you prefer PBL or mix of lectures/PBL or trad?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SylveeDiggs
well from a young age ive always been in love with imperial, but back then i was young and i was only in love with it because if the look the power the name and the thought of saying to someone "i go to imperial" lol. As i got older i went there and actually feel in love with it, like i felt at home. Then i checked the course and fell in lov with that too. Then i checked the entrace test and saw....BMAT. I heard we have to apply before we get our BMAT scores so i dunno if i want to risk it. My other ideal uni would be HYMS, Sheffield, Nottingham, Kings, UEA, St georges, basically a lot of places lol i cant decide. I really like intercalated (traditional mixed with PBL) but i also really like PBL and wouldnt mind too much in the end as long as i get an offer lol but im so scared!

You?:biggrin:

Ahh, that's a dilemma! Do you reckon Imperial is worth the BMAT? On the one hand, it's only one choice but then on the other no one can afford to take chances with medical applications!
It's good that you don't mind, though, means you can apply to your strengths :smile:

Ah, don't be scared, it's miiiiles away. I kinda think it's too early for this thread to exist. :colondollar: Just give it your best shot, that's all we can do really.

Ideal unis for me = Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow. :smile: Esp the first two cos it's so cold in Scotland! :cry:
Reply 659
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Would you prefer PBL or integrated or trad?

Sorry to jump in but I noticed this thread and I feel like crasting. Integrated isn't a mix of PBL and Trad - a course could be 100% PBL and be integrated. An integrated course means that clinical contact is integrated into the pre-clinical years, as opposed to the strict pre-clin/clin divide at places like Cambridge.

Oh and Liverpool is a good choice :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending