Tips before starting uni!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jjackson18624
I see your going to York, so am I :sexface:

Are you there now? studying? or hoping to go this year? :rolleyes:
Original post by Gallabay
Are you there now? studying? or hoping to go this year? :rolleyes:

Nah, I started at Durham last term after a gap year. Hated the course, so reapplied for Philosophy and i've got a place at York :smile:.

Maybe see you in halls :biggrin:.
Reply 42
Nah, I started at Durham last term after a gap year. Hated the course, so reapplied for Philosophy and i've got a place at York :smile:.

Maybe see you in halls :biggrin:.

Im a first year mate, so ill be living in my house next year :P Though ill hopefully be a styc, so depending on your college i might see you :P
Im a first year mate, so ill be living in my house next year :P Though ill hopefully be a styc, so depending on your college i might see you :P

Ah, was wondering why it says 20 on your profile! Uh, well, I might see you :teehee: I'm just gonna pick the college closest to my lectures, this plan worked well for me last time! Then again its quite a close knit campus i guess.
Reply 44
Go easy on the liver.
Reply 45
Ah, was wondering why it says 20 on your profile! Uh, well, I might see you :teehee: I'm just gonna pick the college closest to my lectures, this plan worked well for me last time! Then again its quite a close knit campus i guess.

Erm, if you do, dont choose derwent unless your happy to literally live in a hovel. The place literally disgusts me.
Erm, if you do, dont choose derwent unless your happy to literally live in a hovel. The place literally disgusts me.

Haha, I'll bear that in mind thanks.. but it's about the experience, right???:p:

Living in a hammock in the rainforest, being eaten alive by leeches and mosquito's really lowers your expectations however !

As part of the Malaysian experience I also got to stay in a hostel that was literally on top of a club. Good prep for halls.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Haha, I'll bear that in mind thanks.. but it's about the experience, right???:p:

Living in a hammock in the rainforest, being eaten alive by leeches and mosquito's really lowers your expectations however !

As part of the Malaysian experience I also got to stay in a hostel that was literally on top of a club. Good prep for halls.

Living in a portacabin with nothing but an electric heater to keep you warm at night, working 18 hour days, also lowers your expectations. and i still think derwent is disgusting ;-)
Some of the things said about housemates on here doesn't look too promising!
I'm quite a sociable person but I'm quite worried about making friends all over again at University :P
Oh yeah, and fresher's flu isn't just one instance - it's a series of illnesses and you'll probably spend about 70% of the first semester ill.

Also, at least one of the people you live with will be a dick. You'll probably despise them.
Reply 50
Original post by mellie220
Some of the things said about housemates on here doesn't look too promising!
I'm quite a sociable person but I'm quite worried about making friends all over again at University :P

Ignore the naysayers - its like anything: youre always gonna find someone you dont get along with. The beauty of Uni is that if youre sociable, and put yourself out there in the first few weeks, and with Socs etc, you'll never be short on friends. But like i said, its virtually impossible to get along with everyone you meet, Uni is no different. :redface:
Reply 51
What do people do in the evenings at university if you don't go out and just wanna lounge around in your pyjamas? As in, do people sit in the kitchen of their flat or in their bedrooms or what?
Original post by chloeee!
What do people do in the evenings at university if you don't go out and just wanna lounge around in your pyjamas? As in, do people sit in the kitchen of their flat or in their bedrooms or what?

I'll be organising Real-Life-Role-Playing-Games in and around the hall / campus.
Ignore the naysayers - its like anything: youre always gonna find someone you dont get along with. The beauty of Uni is that if youre sociable, and put yourself out there in the first few weeks, and with Socs etc, you'll never be short on friends. But like i said, its virtually impossible to get along with everyone you meet, Uni is no different. :redface:

I suppose - can't get along with everyone :smile: Just hope my housemates are as sociable as me! (not too much though, need to study as well :rolleyes:)
That's encouraging, I will remember to join lots of socs when I go, sure I won't feel as nervous when I'm actually there though - just the idea of being so far away from home with people I don't know sounds scary.
Biggest thing I learnt: Spending so much time worrying about making friends etc was a waste of time....it all just sort of happens naturally

and

you can't expect to get on with everyone :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by Cicerao
I believe ours was £40. When you read that it gets you into 10 events or whatever, you think wow, great value! Then you check the times and dates and most of them are happening simultaneously, so you actually can go to about 5. And then your flatmates decide not to go anyway so it really is just a waste of money in my opinion.

Guess it depends on your uni. Ours was £20, got us into most events over the two weeks and allowed us to not pay entry fees or have to queue to get into clubs. Our events didn't overlap either.
Don't try to guess or plan what your experience is going to be like.
There will be highs when it's the best experience of your life but there will also be lows where you question if you're cut out for it. But at the end of the day, it is what you make of it. Learn by experience and well just live!
If they turn out to be bat**** insane, it is :P

Give details! NAOW!
Reply 58
The most important tip I can give is to lower your expectations.
A lot of people seem to see uni as this amazing experience, where you get drunk every night and everything is happy happy happy!
It isn't. You will have good nights, and you will almost certainly have bad ones. Uni is after all, what you make out of it!
Reply 59
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending