The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I don't believe we have a license for blood to be let in our clinical skills building. Oh, the irony.

I wouldn't want other students practising on me tho - I get nervous enough when it's a fully qualified phleb who's been doing it for 20 years!

ahh I see.. nah I'm pretty chillaxed. I was the first volunteer and just held both my arms out and was like "go for it!"
No way would I let any of my peers bleed me. The horror.
Reply 2422
I mentioned the other week about some guys that somehow injected themselves and OD'd on insulin.

Well, one is still in a coma in ITU, and the other is in HDU with ?permanent? brain damage and doesn't remember much. :frown:

Sad times. Apparently they were drunk at a party, someone said it would get them high or something (know one knows for sure yet), they ended up going through multiple vials of insulin! They didn't even know each other, but they were at the same party.

I think it may be a criminal investigation now.
If we already have physios, who are well regulated and work within the NHS, then why do we need chiropracters if, as you say, they do the same thing?

I thought physios were muscle based and osteos were bone based. No?

Original post by SMed
Do you know any of the evidence-based manoeuvres? Better yet, how about science-based.

There's little point talking about 'my boyfriend's best friend's mother' (lol, really?), as these are anecdotal cases. Overall, there is little to no good evidence of efficacy for chiro and acupuncture.

Ouch, no need to bite my head off! It came around because we were at her son's wedding and I was telling her about what I did, she asked what I thought and I told her about the weird guy some of us get placements with an she pulled a face. Then she explained what she did and also belittled the other guy. She goes on courses and reads papers and doesn't do it just to swindle money out of people. What she does actually helps. I was a complete skeptic too, because all I'd heard about was this odd guy who jumps all over people. Since then, others have been to a different chiro placement and they do things in a similar way to this lady and they see it works too. This is a forum. It's mostly anecdotal evidence. No need to get so high and mighty. Look, chiro even appears in the NICE guidelines, is that good enough for you?
http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk/For-Health-Care-Professionals-Research-12-mi.aspx

It wasn't too long ago people were looked at funny for eating dirt to cure themselves. If they didn't, we wouldn't have antibiotics now. It's not a bad thing to have an open mind sometimes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2424
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Ouch, no need to bite my head off! It came around because we were at her son's wedding and I was telling her about what I did, she asked what I thought and I told her about the weird guy some of us get placements with an she pulled a face. Then she explained what she did and also belittled the other guy. She goes on courses and reads papers and doesn't do it just to swindle money out of people. What she does actually helps. I was a complete skeptic too, because all I'd heard about was this odd guy who jumps all over people. Since then, others have been to a different chiro placement and they do things in a similar way to this lady and they see it works too. This is a forum. It's mostly anecdotal evidence. No need to get so high and mighty. Look, chiro even appears in the NICE guidelines, is that good enough for you?
http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk/For-Health-Care-Professionals-Research-12-mi.aspx

It wasn't too long ago people were looked at funny for eating dirt to cure themselves. If they didn't, we wouldn't have antibiotics now. It's not a bad thing to have an open mind sometimes.

Sorry about biting your head off.

Skeptics demand evidence, not anecdotes. NICE is not infallible. Homeopathy is offered in some trusts too.

What I'm getting at is that you say you were skeptical (this is good for all things practically), but then you make out that this one woman basically convinced you. That's not evidence.

And, I am NOT being closed-minded. All I'm saying is that claims need evidence. It's not like no research has been done, where we can have an open mind until questions have been answered. It has been researched, THOROUGHLY, and it is now at the point where money/resources is simply being wasted on trying to prove silly quack remedies.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SMed
I mentioned the other week about some guys that somehow injected themselves and OD'd on insulin.

Well, one is still in a coma in ITU, and the other is in HDU with ?permanent? brain damage and doesn't remember much. :frown:

Sad times. Apparently they were drunk at a party, someone said it would get them high or something (know one knows for sure yet), they ended up going through multiple vials of insulin! They didn't even know each other, but they were at the same party.

I think it may be a criminal investigation now.

Wow, that's pretty horrific. I guess most people just aren't aware of what insulin really is and what it can do.
I let a fresher cannulate me on her first day....got it in as well!
Original post by Mushi_master
No way would I let any of my peers bleed me. The horror.

We bleed each other in first year clinics - it's only fair you are willing to let each other do it before doing it on a patient.

We're generally all healthy and really easy to bleed... nice median cubital veins for harvesting :colone:
Original post by SMed
If it were any other drug or therapy, and it was only as good as placebo, then that would be a completely ineffective FAILED drug. The end. Just because it's acupuncture/chiro or any other quack remedy, does not change this.

What I mean is - better than control - i.e. doing nothing.

If some needles in my back helps my backache - wicked.

The difference with drug therapies is their side-effect profiles.
The needles I guess what - bleeding and maybe a wound infection if you're really unlucky?
But not renal failure/displacement of other drugs etc...
Reply 2429
When the student took my tooth out it was at KCH. I then got dry socket which hurt like a mother****er.
Maybe I'm biased because we aren't allowed to practice procedures (even venflons) on each other, but I don't think I'd trust another student to do anything to me...

I took blood from my coursemates

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I don't want people practising on me, just cause all the blood donation people have to call in their supervisor people to stick me cause my veins are all small and rubbish, and some of them are too close to my artery to be used :p:

You too, hey? Do you have to sit there squeezing a bandage like I always end up doing?
Orthopaedics is hard work - We've been told to pitch up for 8am trauma meetings, every day. Doh.
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
You too, hey? Do you have to sit there squeezing a bandage like I always end up doing?

:yep:
Original post by digitalis
I let a fresher cannulate me on her first day....got it in as well!

:rofl: could be misinterpreted in so many ways...
Original post by Captain Crash
:rofl: could be misinterpreted in so many ways...

It was a tight squeeze and only a little blood came out....:colone:
Original post by digitalis
It was a tight squeeze and only a little blood came out....:colone:

Oh dude.................... >_> haha.

you sorted elective?
Original post by Philosoraptor
Oh dude.................... >_> haha.

you sorted elective?

Nein, haven't given it any thought!
Reply 2437
red hair isn't working out for me.

brunette or blonde? going to go back to one of them tomorrow

opinions?

*photos deleted*

I'm thinking brunette -- between medium & dark?
properly dark makes me look ooollllddd :sad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sarky
When the student took my tooth out it was at KCH. I then got dry socket which hurt like a mother****er.

Consider me proved wrong :tongue:
Original post by Philosoraptor
We bleed each other in first year clinics - it's only fair you are willing to let each other do it before doing it on a patient.

We're generally all healthy and really easy to bleed... nice median cubital veins for harvesting :colone:

I would assume we would to to be honest, I just can't think of many people I know who I'd let anywhere near me with sharps! :tongue:

And lekky - shame about the loss of red hair! From those pics though the dark hair is the winner.

Latest

Trending

Trending