The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz

Have you decided on The Tannery now then :wink: I told you it looked half decent... you're even worse at deciding than I am!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by dmz
:facepalm: i get that, i hope i do meet you again for real so you can say some similar **** to me :smile:

yer, you're not really the best person to be giving advice on how to make friends

That makes sense. Anyway, I better stop posting as soon i'll be catching up with your figures...
Reply 902
Original post by ModernLeper
I really liked Clarence Dock, Devonshire and James Baillie, just deciding which one!
Oh also I forgot to answer the coldness question, CD was just really nice and warm :biggrin: I think after CD I just had really high expectations for the social facilities everywhere, so seeing this dodgy common room just made my heart sink a little bit
Ermmm probably hah! everyone had laptops and stuffff, another thing which put me off the Tannery, no option for internet TV!
not that many people buy Tv licences, but still I want the choice...
Just go up by yourself, I'm sure they'd let you have a shufti at some places :P

I was down with CD at first, i had high expectations so it let me down a bit, but the common room made me cling on for a very long time but the distance is probably not all that realistic, think i'd still be happy living there though.

Yer, the common room seemed to suck but i liked the student union.

Are you sure? cos i went on the site in charge of the internet speeds etc and they gave that option :dontknow: So you wouldn't be able to watch tv if you bought one? Might have to consider that like e-mail in or something
Reply 903
Original post by Economomics
That makes sense. Anyway, I better stop posting as soon i'll be catching up with your figures...

Yer, i don't really wanna keep your mother waiting either, she must be upset enough she has a faggot for a child

Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Have you decided on The Tannery now then :wink: I told you it looked half decent... you're even worse at deciding than I am!

Yer, i think so :frown:, I'm being made less excited about it lol. Yer i suck at decisions. Have you seen it for real? what does it look like?
Original post by bmt
Nah but i stayed in my mates flat there a few weeks ago, and stayed in clarence dock for a night. Would like to be in JB and if not clarence dock, good atmosphere there but its in the middle of nowhere. where did you apply?

Oh, yeah I visited Clarence and it did feel like it was in the middle of no where! I applied to Henry price I'm so excited :biggrin:
Reply 905
I asked my daughter to post but she's too busy on FB. We went round 6 halls on Saturday and this is what I noticed - I have to say though that I am hopeless at noticing decor, carpets etc.

Generally I thought the rooms were much of a muchness - all roughly the same size with quite small bathrooms and all with similar furniture. My daughter scoffs at that and says there were a lot of differences, but as I say I don't notice things like that. The kitchens varied in size but not hugely and as others have said it seems that it's up to you to clean both your own room and the kitchen, corridors etc. I was a bit surprised at this - my other daughter went to Warwick and they had cleaners. We only looked at en-suite self-catered rooms.

Clarence Dock - great apart from the location. Probably the one I liked best - good atmosphere, good bar, nice rooms and quite a community feel. The gym is a plus and there's a Tesco Express 2 minutes away. We had a panini and chips in the bar which was fine.

The Tannery - a bit scruffier than I expected and I didn't think the common room was that great. It's directly opposite Sentinel Towers with a Nisa underneath. Close to the university but in a bit of an urban wasteland next to a busy road. I drove though and we didn't walk around the area at all so it might be that there is a nicer bit just around the corner.

Sentinel Towers - full of post-grads and international students, no common room. The guide said it was quite quiet.

Leodis - I liked this - quite a villagey feel with a good common room and outside barbecue area. The drawback is that it is in the middle of some fairly bleak council estates. It is quite secure though (as they all are) with good fencing and windows that only open a little bit. Daughter didn't like it.

James Baillie - this whole site is much leafier with trees and feels more like a campus. Generally the location is better than any of the others, just up the road from lots of curry houses etc. The traffic was awful though into town (even on a Saturday afternoon) so I'm guessing it takes a while to get the bus in in the morning.

Devonshire - a different feel from all the other modern blocks we looked at. A common room that is like something from an Oxford college - all leather sofas and opening onto a quad with arches etc. Very close to JB. I was irrationally put off by the 'public school' feel to it all but could see its attractions. Most of the rooms aren't en-suite.

The whole thing reminds me of house-buying (not that most of you would know about that!) - the nice place has a bad location and the ones with the good location are too much in demand so you can't rely on getting in - and they're more expensive.

Hope this is slightly helpful to those of you who couldn't make the open day or didn't get to see everything.
Reply 906
Original post by Mother2
I asked my daughter to post but she's too busy on FB. We went round 6 halls on Saturday and this is what I noticed - I have to say though that I am hopeless at noticing decor, carpets etc.

Generally I thought the rooms were much of a muchness - all roughly the same size with quite small bathrooms and all with similar furniture. My daughter scoffs at that and says there were a lot of differences, but as I say I don't notice things like that. The kitchens varied in size but not hugely and as others have said it seems that it's up to you to clean both your own room and the kitchen, corridors etc. I was a bit surprised at this - my other daughter went to Warwick and they had cleaners. We only looked at en-suite self-catered rooms.

Clarence Dock - great apart from the location. Probably the one I liked best - good atmosphere, good bar, nice rooms and quite a community feel. The gym is a plus and there's a Tesco Express 2 minutes away. We had a panini and chips in the bar which was fine.

The Tannery - a bit scruffier than I expected and I didn't think the common room was that great. It's directly opposite Sentinel Towers with a Nisa underneath. Close to the university but in a bit of an urban wasteland next to a busy road. I drove though and we didn't walk around the area at all so it might be that there is a nicer bit just around the corner.

Sentinel Towers - full of post-grads and international students, no common room. The guide said it was quite quiet.

Leodis - I liked this - quite a villagey feel with a good common room and outside barbecue area. The drawback is that it is in the middle of some fairly bleak council estates. It is quite secure though (as they all are) with good fencing and windows that only open a little bit. Daughter didn't like it.

James Baillie - this whole site is much leafier with trees and feels more like a campus. Generally the location is better than any of the others, just up the road from lots of curry houses etc. The traffic was awful though into town (even on a Saturday afternoon) so I'm guessing it takes a while to get the bus in in the morning.

Devonshire - a different feel from all the other modern blocks we looked at. A common room that is like something from an Oxford college - all leather sofas and opening onto a quad with arches etc. Very close to JB. I was irrationally put off by the 'public school' feel to it all but could see its attractions. Most of the rooms aren't en-suite.

The whole thing reminds me of house-buying (not that most of you would know about that!) - the nice place has a bad location and the ones with the good location are too much in demand so you can't rely on getting in - and they're more expensive.

Hope this is slightly helpful to those of you who couldn't make the open day or didn't get to see everything.

Helped a lot but now i'm back to square one :sigh:
Original post by dmz
Yer, i think so :frown:, I'm being made less excited about it lol. Yer i suck at decisions. Have you seen it for real? what does it look like?

No :frown: it was one of the main ones I wanted to see and ran out of time for because we got lost :colondollar: I'm thinking of contacting UNITE (I think they run it) to see if they would let someone take a look? I already contacted Leeds Accommodation about it and they said it was unlikely you'd be able to look around the inside of anywhere, just the outside, except for a couple of general open days in June (but that might just be looking around places like HP cos I think it's been mentioned that they tend to show people that one on open days) so not really helpful! :frown:
Reply 908
everytime i make my mind up, someone comes along, lol. I'm just gonna pick 1 out of random from the 4 i liked
Original post by Mother2

Makes me lean back towards CD and away from The Tannery :s-smilie: thank you for that! Wish I'd been able to see more of them...
Reply 910
No :frown: it was one of the main ones I wanted to see and ran out of time for because we got lost :colondollar: I'm thinking of contacting UNITE (I think they run it) to see if they would let someone take a look? I already contacted Leeds Accommodation about it and they said it was unlikely you'd be able to look around the inside of anywhere, just the outside, except for a couple of general open days in June (but that might just be looking around places like HP cos I think it's been mentioned that they tend to show people that one on open days) so not really helpful! :frown:

I'm gonna have to wait for June before applying then, I'm quite fed up of everything :frown:, I;d settle for JB if there wasn't a chance i'd get chucked somewhere i didn't really want. I was Happy with CD but distance was made into quite an issue, I liked Leodis but it just felt so ordinary, Tannery but not seen it and no-one seems to like it out of the ones that have :sigh: I'm fed up now, lol
Reply 911
Makes me lean back towards CD and away from The Tannery :s-smilie: thank you for that! Wish I'd been able to see more of them...

I liked CD saved the distance, maybe i should just go back to CD
Reply 912
Original post by dmz
everytime i make my mind up, someone comes along, lol. I'm just gonna pick 1 out of random from the 4 i liked

If it were me I'd be trying to ask current students - there must be some on here - who can give their view of living in the different places.
Reply 913

Remember I'm a mother and my opinion is not to be trusted! I'll try and get my daughter to post about The Tannery - think she's put off because I'm on here.
Reply 914
Original post by Mother2
If it were me I'd be trying to ask current students - there must be some on here - who can give their view of living in the different places.

Everyone seems to have different opinion but i think i'm gonna leave it for a while

Original post by Mother2
Remember I'm a mother and my opinion is not to be trusted! I'll try and get my daughter to post about The Tannery - think she's put off because I'm on here.

Did she liked the tannery? I went from CD - Leodis - JB - Tannery.

My friend who lived in CD said he had to move out after a week, but another girl from my college said she likes it.
Reply 915
Original post by dmz
Everyone seems to have different opinion but i think i'm gonna leave it for a while

Did she liked the tannery? I went from CD - Leodis - JB - Tannery.

My friend who lived in CD said he had to move out after a week, but another girl from my college said she likes it.

Her top 3 were CD, JB and Devonshire. She ought to speak for herself really but I think she liked CD but not the location and liked the Headingley location a lot.
Original post by dmz
I'm gonna have to wait for June before applying then, I'm quite fed up of everything :frown:, I;d settle for JB if there wasn't a chance i'd get chucked somewhere i didn't really want. I was Happy with CD but distance was made into quite an issue, I liked Leodis but it just felt so ordinary, Tannery but not seen it and no-one seems to like it out of the ones that have :sigh: I'm fed up now, lol

This is what they said:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for you to view accommodation at any other time. You can look from the outside but will not be able to have a personal tour. However, there might be the opportunity to view some accommodation on the main University open days on 24 and 25 June. Details to be confirmed nearer the time."

The whole buses issue at CD is a big problem :frown: thats what made me start thinking aqbout halls closer to everything in the first place. As others have said, if only it was closer this would all be a lot easier!

Original post by Mother2

There seems to be a real shortage of current students to ask! Otherwise I would readily be bothering them for their opinions :wink:
Reply 917
This is what they said:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for you to view accommodation at any other time. You can look from the outside but will not be able to have a personal tour. However, there might be the opportunity to view some accommodation on the main University open days on 24 and 25 June. Details to be confirmed nearer the time."

The whole buses issue at CD is a big problem :frown: thats what made me start thinking aqbout halls closer to everything in the first place. As others have said, if only it was closer this would all be a lot easier!

There seems to be a real shortage of current students to ask! Otherwise I would readily be bothering them for their opinions :wink:

Yer, like i don't really want to be coming back at 11pm and even then chance missing the bus :sigh: it's not worth thinking about anymore
Reply 918
Just applied to North Hill Court! Is anyone else applying for this? The room sizes looked lush and loved the area!
Original post by dmz
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST MADE MY MIND UP! Thanks though :h:, :lol:

where else did you go that you can compare it with? It was cold in the rooms or...?
Around what time did you go? I had same reception at JB and Leodis but they were bored of their heads already cos it was about 4.
Bedroom counts a lot more than bathroom cos i'm not in there too often, as long as they have hot water and don't look dirty and gringe-like?
I'm not an environmentalist but i understand your concern. Were the rooms newer looking than JB?

Also it's 10mins walk from city centre, 20 max from uni, and 10 from where i wanna work
Damn!!

I really liked the common room, really nice social and spacious

Latest