The Student Room Group

national service?

do you think it could help britain become great again? and why?
No.

Because conscripts fight badly, it would cost a ton of money to expand the armed forces enough to accommodate a conscript force, and because it doesn't solve any the problems it's proponents think it does. There will still be poverty, crime, a lack of self-respect and respect for others, etc., just like there was (to a greater degree, actually) when national service was used.
Reply 2
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
No.

Because conscripts fight badly, it would cost a ton of money to expand the armed forces enough to accommodate a conscript force, and because it doesn't solve any the problems it's proponents think it does. There will still be poverty, crime, a lack of self-respect and respect for others, etc., just like there was (to a greater degree, actually) when national service was used.

urrm no your completely ****ing wrong,there was a much greater respect for authority in those days, and there would be significantly less crime,and there would be alot more respect for all,good day sir,you have been owned.
no. do you really want to give chavs guns
Reply 4
Lol, in the H&R forum?

I am in favour of National Service.
Reply 5
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
no. do you really want to give chavs guns

no i want people to stop calling them chavs and perpetuating predujice and have them taught how to be more respectful and responsible
Reply 6
No, I don't like idea of me going to fight for our country and leaving the people I love behind.
Reply 7
what has national service got to do with health and relationships
Original post by arron
no i want people to stop calling them chavs and perpetuating predujice and have them taught how to be more respectful and responsible

They get called chavs because they are disrespectful and irresponsible.

Manners cost nothing, and they start with speaking properly.
Reply 9
im posting on H&R because this is where most posters are

and barden, you do realise if people stopped that kind of langauge it would help right?
Reply 10
Original post by arron
do you think it could help britain become great again? and why?

Nope. What would we use it for? The army don't want it and quite frankly we don't have the money.
Reply 11
Original post by arron
urrm no your completely ****ing wrong,there was a much greater respect for authority in those days, and there would be significantly less crime,and there would be alot more respect for all,good day sir,you have been owned.

You kinda just owned yourself with that line of argument there. Also, there's always a space after commas.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by arron

your not going to do that with national service. sorting out their families / schools would be far more effective
Original post by arron

*You're.

Good day sir, you have been owned.
Reply 14
Original post by arron

what about all those nasty anti-authority revolutionaries that originated from conscript armies, eeeh?
Reply 15
Original post by arron

Actually in regards to the above statement, I think you are a bit wrong.

Respect for authority has declined over the years meaning that there is an increase in crime. National service will encourage people the different methods of killing. Combine with the fact that people will steal weapons and equipment from the MOD and use it on other civilians, you are just looking at a bloodbath especially if 'black' teenagers get involved. I only say that because they take their postcode wars very seriously, even to death. So in regards to national service for today's young, I think it would be a very very bad idea.

However, the reason why national service was so 'successful' in WW1 and WW2 was that there was proper respect for each other. Nowadays, the standards have slipped and society rules were more stricter than.

I do advocate the right to bring back national service but only under the:
1) Tightening of morals of today's society,
2) Fighting proper wars, meaning like WW1 or WW2, not Kuwait or Iraq or Libya

Quick Reply

Latest