The Student Room Group

First university announces fees lower than £9k

Scroll to see replies

How are they the first to announce it when the article begins by referring to several other universities that won't be charging 9k?
Reply 41
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
How are they the first to announce it when the article begins by referring to several other universities that won't be charging 9k?

Because they havent announced their fees, just that they won't be £9k.
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine

They were the first to announce an actual decision rather than give an indication or be the subject of a rumour.
Reply 43
I wonder if any uni is going to charge £8,999 just to **** us off?
Coventry is the first to announce different fee levels for different subjects.

This from the local newspaper this evening:

"Under Coventry University's proposals, fees would be set at six different levels, ranging from £4,600 for part-time courses to £9,000 for top degrees such as Automotive and Transport Design, Engineering, and Fashion, which the university say are highly competitive and expensive to run. Classroom, studio and laboratory degrees would be set between £7,500 to £8,300 per year."

I think one can ignore the references to part-time courses. This is just window dressing. Part-time courses have always been pro-rata.
Original post by diamonddust
I have a *thing* (call it a quirk) where certain words/spellings/names/sounds give me a sick feeling inside. 'Grosseteste' is one of those... :afraid: It's quite a hilarious name, or it would be hilarious if the spelling wasn't so... ugh.

I have to admit, I'd never heard of it until they announced their fees. :dontknow:

I have that! I totally thought it was just me being weird! That word isn't one that makes me go weird though, thankfully.

kerily

I don't agree with raising tuition fees, but I do think that if some universities are charging £9k, it's best if everyone charges £9k - it at least means that people aren't going 'ooh, Leeds Met is £500 a year cheaper than UCL, I'll apply there instead'.

Really hope no-one in their right mind would think saving £500 justifies going to Leeds Met instead of UCL...haha.
Reply 46
Original post by impossible!
Really hope no-one in their right mind would think saving £500 justifies going to Leeds Met instead of UCL...haha.

Perhaps a bit of an extreme example :tongue: But I'd hate someone to think 'well, I'm a good enough candidate to go to X £9k university, but I could save thousands of pounds over the course of a degree by going to Y £6k university' and thus not get as good an education :frown:
who....?
Original post by nulli tertius
It isn't gross as in gross and net.

It rhymes with cross.

test as in exam.

Meh, I'm still going to call it gross teste ie: pronounced gross testee
Reply 49
"Liverpool Hope has said it will charge less than £9,000, while the London Metropolitan has said it intends to set fees at, on average, no more than £7,000, with some courses below £6,000."

I should hope so!
Original post by de_monies
Meh, I'm still going to call it gross teste ie: pronounced gross testee

But I bet you're the sort of person who fails to pronounce "Featherstonehaugh" as Fan-shore :eek:
But I bet you're the sort of person who fails to pronounce "Featherstonehaugh" as Fan-shore :eek:

How on Earth do you get Fan-shore from that? EDIT: According to Google it is, but I'm still perplexed
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by kerily
Perhaps a bit of an extreme example :tongue: But I'd hate someone to think 'well, I'm a good enough candidate to go to X £9k university, but I could save thousands of pounds over the course of a degree by going to Y £6k university' and thus not get as good an education :frown:

Wouldn't that just make them an idiot who deserves everything they get?
My friend's going there to do her teaching degree... Education Studies and English, I think. It's supposed to be really well known for teaching :smile:
Never heard of this so called 'Bishops GrossTesticle University' :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
A few other institutions have announce plans for feels lower than £9k, I think some before Bishop Grosseteste.

Times Higher Education magazine has a handy list of announced fees policies, updated as and when they come in: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=415618.
Coventry is the first to announce different fee levels for different subjects.

This from the local newspaper this evening:

"Under Coventry University's proposals, fees would be set at six different levels, ranging from £4,600 for part-time courses to £9,000 for top degrees such as Automotive and Transport Design, Engineering, and Fashion, which the university say are highly competitive and expensive to run. Classroom, studio and laboratory degrees would be set between £7,500 to £8,300 per year."

I think one can ignore the references to part-time courses. This is just window dressing. Part-time courses have always been pro-rata.

I love how Coventry uni list fashion as a top degree. Hopefully the elevated fees will at least make students think twice before applying to such courses....
Original post by doggyfizzel
If they offered to pay my fees for me, I still wouldn't go there.

This.

I would be very, very surprised if student numbers don't drop.
If you are not planning to be a teacher you are about as likely to go there as you are to read for joint honours in astro-physics and medieval Welsh at the Royal College of Music.

Even if I wanted to be a teacher, I sure as hell would not go to Leeds Met.
I've never heard of it, and I wasn't the type to turn my nose up at ex polys when doing my uni searches, so I'm quite surprised I haven't ever come across it.

EDIT: just read through and is a teaching uni.. so that might be why I never heard of it! Fair enough.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending