UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Creative Direction for Fashion at LCF

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fayxo
I'm either going to go to lcf or Epsom. I'm swaying towards Epsom from my gut feeling, but so tempted by creative direction. It looks like an incredible course :/ there are things I don't like about lcf though so it's tricky.

What are you doing at the moment? Are you studying? Xxx

I always say go with what your heart tells you! Look at the pros and cons of both courses in term of location, the area, the community as well as the course. For instance even if CSM gives me a place I probs turn it down just because I know it isn't the course for me, the name isn't enough of a reason to accept it.

At the moment I'm out of education I've been interning for a year and going back to education. I was at Rochester for about a year and a half then left - lots of stuff went on kinda a long story, but the university wasn't for me at all - had to go with my heart.

What about you have you made a final decision as of yet? I am a bit scared to confirm anything at the moment!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by nataliejadeb
Well done!!

Creative Direction is my first choice too!! London is expensive so be warned. I am going to look into private accomodation though as I want to move out - I need my personal space. The finance as usual will always be a problem.

What are you doing about it all? Have you made a firm choice now?

I've learnt that this year haha living in London is so ridiculously expensive, even the little things like the oyster card. I need space too, I'm hoping student loans will help somehow although essentially, I need to find a job asap and work all summer to save. I think I'm going to see what friends are doing with their living plans for next uni year but if not, I have no idea what I will be doing.

I haven't just yet but I will, I'm still having to wait for my results from my foundation year but I'm hopeful I'll get a pass.
Reply 22
Hey, Just started reading all this and i just got a place on Creative Direction at LCF too! Im pretty excited as it was my first choice! But what do you think about living in halls. Im not from london, so staying at home isnt a option, and private accom is a bit pricey for me! Also hows the atmosphere at lime grove? Im just really worried about making friends!!! Thanks so much! and Well done to you both!!!
Reply 23
Original post by kspears1
Hey, Just started reading all this and i just got a place on Creative Direction at LCF too! Im pretty excited as it was my first choice! But what do you think about living in halls. Im not from london, so staying at home isnt a option, and private accom is a bit pricey for me! Also hows the atmosphere at lime grove? Im just really worried about making friends!!! Thanks so much! and Well done to you both!!!

Hi Kspears!! Welcome to our small group of Creative Direction soon to be students!! I'm excited too - speaking to you lot makes me even more excited!! I have never seen the accommodation, but I would go for it! It's an experience living in halls and I would say to everyone to have a go at it - it's a good way to make friends and maybe even housemates for year 2.

I did a one year course at LCF (fashion portfolio) and it was fantastic. My class really got along with each other, there was a divide with internationals and UK/EU students and I look back with a smiley face :biggrin: There's the westfield shopping mall there, goldhawk road with all the fabric shops and lots of restaurants and cafes around. I'm not saying it is the most happening place since brick lane or the safest, but there are things to do and if you are street smart you'll be fine.

Where else did you apply?
Reply 24
Hey Natalie! Oh im so excited now after talking to all you lot! Yes im gunna go for it with halls i think, im just excited to be in london, i live in devon at the moment, and im so looking forward to getting out! I also applied to middlesex, and uca. I have interviews at them on this wednesday and then next monday. Im going to go to both interviews anyway, for good practise and experience, even though i think ive got my heart set on LCF! How about you? do you have other options for are you set on creative direction. I think the course looks excellent, although i want to get my hands on a break down of like terms an what we are studying when. If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? Im 19 and im a bit worries im either going to be way older, or way younger than everyone else!!
Reply 25
Hi!

London and Devon are totally different places - are you ready for the big bad city? LOL I got a place at Middlesex unconditional she told me on the spot at the interview it was nice to know I had a place somewhere if I didn't get anywhere, but now I have been accepted for LCF!! YAY!!

Don't worry about 19! I'm 22!! Most people start at 18 or 19 and plus I feel better about going a bit later, I got my industry experience and more life experience - in a good frame of mind. Don't worry about other people! It's all about u now!!
Reply 26
so nice to see a little group of people forminggg !:smile: im still not decided about lcf or uca! i would go into halls if i was at lcf though. i lived in private accommodation this year (in shepherd's bush - right near lime grove) and feel like living in halls would give me the opportunity to meet more people.

for anyone wanting private accommodation, sometimes there are notes on the noticeboards in lime grove from students who are getting a house but just need 1 or 2 more people, theres a few up at the moment for september 2011, it might be worth popping in and having a look if you're already an LCF student and can gain access into the building. (look at the board on the first flight of stairs and also theres another board in the canteen).
shepherds bush is a pretty decent place to live, lime grove is 2 mins away from westfield which is amazing, 2 cinemas, lots of cafes and a couple of pubs. and you can get on the central line, circle or hammersmith and city .. and the overground.. so it's pretty quick to get anywhere in london haha. you do get a lot of strange men.. but no more than any other place in london

kspears im 20:smile: dont think you need to worry about age, you seem to get a pretty broad range of ages at uni but it doesnt make much difference, some of the best friends ive made this year are 6 years older than me! age is just a number! :smile: xxx
xxxx
Hi Kspears!

I'm still only 18 but turning 19 in May so I shall be one of the young ones too. I know quite a few of my classmates who are around the age 19/20 have also got places for the Creative Direction course although I wouldn't worry about the age/industry experience differences. We are all there because we are passionate and ambitious about it and a difference in age has never really affected me, to be honest I've always found myself to be friends with older classmates anyway.

As for Lime Grove, I've never studied there but I instantly took a liking to the building and I have many friends who enjoy going there and also the surrounding areas in Shepherd's Bush. Like Natalie said, the classes usually get along with each other really well. Ual is seen as a really pretentious place but when you go there, you realise it is just a myth and in my experience, everyone has been really down to earth, fun and approachable, as for the internationals they often form groups with friends from their home countries although they are still generally very sweet.

I'm in ual halls atm and I'd recommend them for your first year as a way to meet new people, what I love about mine is that we are all studying different things such as fine art, pattern cutting and architecture and you meet people from so many various countries/backgrounds. I've made some of the best friend's I've ever had in halls, just make sure you apply early to get a better chance of your first choice and check location/distance from Lime Grove cos I travel from the Camden area to Hackney and I hate the distance.

Sorry, I feel like I've been rambling on and on! Hope I could be of some help.

xx
Reply 28
Thanks, thats all really useful info, an i was a bit worried about it being a bit pretentious but everyone is putting me more at ease, and u lot sound lovely so im not to worried anymore! More excited! September cant come soon enough now!!! One thing i did come across though, i phoned lcf today, and we cant get student finance until lcf validate the course, which isnt gunna happen till like june time. So that means our fees wont get paid in time. But the lady i spoke to said this shouldnt be a problem and they could make exceptions for people like me who isnt in the situation to pay the fees upfront! Kat xx
Reply 29
Original post by kspears1
Thanks, thats all really useful info, an i was a bit worried about it being a bit pretentious but everyone is putting me more at ease, and u lot sound lovely so im not to worried anymore! More excited! September cant come soon enough now!!! One thing i did come across though, i phoned lcf today, and we cant get student finance until lcf validate the course, which isnt gunna happen till like june time. So that means our fees wont get paid in time. But the lady i spoke to said this shouldnt be a problem and they could make exceptions for people like me who isnt in the situation to pay the fees upfront! Kat xx

OMG! I didn't realise that!! That's going to be everyone who has over £3000 hanging around in there bank these days. They should at least get it validated by late April - May. That's why I was having problems on student finance trying to find the course! I am gonna give them a call tomo at some point.

Natalie X
Am I out for the count?

I was referred to this course after applying for Fashion Public Relations originally and had my interview last week.

Do you think that I've not got in as you all seem to have your offers!?

Please get back asap with more info!
Reply 31
william - there are some people on my course who also had their interview last week/week before and havent heard back either. don't worry :smile: xxx
Reply 32
had my interview on 22nd march and i got the unconditional offer today as well, yey future classmates i suppose !
Reply 33
Original post by laurava
had my interview on 22nd march and i got the unconditional offer today as well, yey future classmates i suppose !

congrats!! I think we should start a group of facebook or something. I am glad to hear some many voices. I felt like there was only a few appying!
Reply 34
by the way, as for the accommodation.
the LCF course info states the campus to be lime grove, but i vaguely remember the interviewer to have mentioned that we would have lessons somewhere else instead (or in addition?).

just thinking about the locations of halls / possibilities of private accommodation. would like to hear about other peoples plans ! im personally not from england so it makes it a bit difficult to find a crib of my own i guess.
Reply 35
laurava - i think the only other places you would have lessons would be john princes street (oxford street - also where the lcf library is ,so you'd have to go here anyway) and holborn. they are both central london and really easy to get to :smile: xxxx
Reply 36
From my experience at LCF you hardly have any other lessons anywhere else - if so, its usually at JPS for lectures, but the majority of lesson will be at Lime Grove. I would advise going to all the locations to have a look anyway.

I can't wait for September!!

I am a bit concerned, if the course doesn't get validated then what do we do? I got two unconditional offers so I can't do a firm and insurance choice. What should I do? Also since it's not confirmed I can't sort out the student finance. How is everyone else getting on?
Reply 37
have you tried calling LCF to ask about that? if they aren't very helpful maybe try UCAS?

one of my friends (who unfortunately didnt get accepted) just told me that she got her 'feedback' email from the admin of creative direction, and it said that there have been 300+ applications and there are only 28 spaces available on the course!!! sooo well done for getting offers! crazyyy competitive!
Reply 38
i may give them a call tomo morning as well as student finance - thanks for that.

I never realised how many people applied!! Not to sound mean but I am glad there are so many few places gives you more of a chance to see tutors and get there opinion on your work!
Reply 39
just got an unconditional for creative direction! currently in my 1st yr at ravensbourne doing fash promotion but dont like it so moving! still not quite sure what creative directions about but sounds really good! whats everyone doing about accomodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending