The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by sherlllll
But equally, you shouldn't put yourself through a life of reckless pleasure at the expense of others should you? That's my rationale here, it's what I try to live by.

I'm not saying my character is flawlessly strong or that I'm a better person than others, but I really try to act morally(or what I consider to be moral behaviour) and homosexuality is sadly unacceptable to me.

Also I'm not singling out homosexuality here, there are many other things that are unacceptable as defined by my religious views and my own moral judgment.

I understand, to a certain degree, that you personally find homosexuality to be unacceptable. But when you can only speak for yourself, I do not understand why you feel that you have to voice such an opinion on people in a public arena, especially due to the fact you claim them to be selfish and morally wrong. Where does that sit on your moral compass?
Reply 421
I'm not insecure at all :smile:. I have a strong enough character to do the right thing and never let down those who love me. It's simple for me.

So being gay would let them down?! They obviously don't love you very much :s-smilie:
But equally, you shouldn't put yourself through a life of reckless pleasure at the expense of others should you? That's my rationale here, it's what I try to live by.

I'm not saying my character is flawlessly strong or that I'm a better person than others, but I really try to act morally(or what I consider to be moral behaviour) and homosexuality is sadly unacceptable to me.

Also I'm not singling out homosexuality here, there are many other things that are unacceptable as defined by my religious views and my own moral judgment.

Homosexuality isn't "reckless pleasure". What's reckless about being with someone you love? And if they are in a loving relationship, it's not just about pleasure (although there's an element of that in EVERY sexual relationship).
No on should expect anyone to be someone they're not just to keep them happy. If your family dislike who you are, and you're not doing anything actually wrong, they are in the wrong.
Original post by rugbyladosc
yeah you keep telling yourself that....

I don't see why I'm having this argument with you.

You rejected the BNP article accusing it of being bigoted and ignorant, yet you continue to force your silly, false point across to me even though I've told you otherwise twice now? That seems to be a little hypocritical; resorting to ignorant, repetitive and nonsensical attacks are trademarks of the BNP.
I don't see why I'm having this argument with you.

You rejected the BNP article accusing it of being bigoted and ignorant, yet you continue to force your silly, false point across to me even though I've told you otherwise twice now? That seems to be a little hypocritical; resorting to ignorant, repetitive and nonsensical attacks are trademarks of the BNP.

Yeah I said your a closet homosexual so therefore I love BNP.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Homosexuality isn't "reckless pleasure". What's reckless about being with someone you love? And if they are in a loving relationship, it's not just about pleasure (although there's an element of that in EVERY sexual relationship).
No on should expect anyone to be someone they're not just to keep them happy. If your family dislike who you are, and you're not doing anything actually wrong, they are in the wrong.

But there's the thing, your moral compass is different to mine :s-smilie:.
But there's the thing, your moral compass is different to mine :s-smilie:.

Yes obviously, but you're came on saying how un-natural and wrong homosexuality is, when it's not. If your only argument is that "i believe it's wrong", then there wasn't much point there.
I'm not insecure at all :smile:. I have a strong enough character to do the right thing and never let down those who love me. It's simple for me.

Wait ... so gay people are born into a world where 90% World population sees them as morally wrong, a large portion of whom would like to see them dead, could possibly face rejection from their friends and family and face being stereotyped and stigmatized on a daily basis even in the most tolerant of societies and YOU'RE the one with the strong character? Right :wink:.
Original post by Smophy
So being gay would let them down?! They obviously don't love you very much :s-smilie:

I think they love me very much :smile:. Why would I ever want to put my family in the position where they have to choose between their own system of morality defined by their religion and their son? I would never ever want to present them with that terrible choice, no matter what "genetic" urges I would have to contain, both matter very much to them and the decision would cause them a lot of pain. That's what I mean by "let them down", I would hurt them.
Yeah, use the BNP website for comedic purposes only.
Yes obviously, but you're came on saying how un-natural and wrong homosexuality is, when it's not. If your only argument is that "i believe it's wrong", then there wasn't much point there.

I believe that it's immoral and therefore wrong as the bottom line. I have formed that belief on primarily religious grounds. :smile:
Reply 431
I think they love me very much :smile:. Why would I ever want to put my family in the position where they have to choose between their own system of morality defined by their religion and their son? I would never ever want to present them with that terrible choice, no matter what "genetic" urges I would have to contain, both matter very much to them and the decision would cause them a lot of pain. That's what I mean by "let them down", I would hurt them.

I'm confused. By your own moral standards, is it only the feelings of your family you put before your own, or is it that something you believe you should do in all instances?
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
Wait ... so gay people are born into a world where 90% World population sees them as morally wrong, a large portion of whom would like to see them dead, could possibly face rejection from their friends and family and face being stereotyped and stigmatized on a daily basis even in the most tolerant of societies and YOU'RE the one with the strong character? Right :wink:.

Arguably, not acting upon homosexual urges for an entire lifetime shows stronger character than waiting a few years and coming out to a society that is very tolerant. I accept that this is all very subjective though, so...you may be right, who knows. :smile:
I believe that it's immoral and therefore wrong as the bottom line. I have formed that belief on primarily religious grounds. :smile:

Yes, I get that.
My point is, if that's all you have to base it on, why come on here telling us how wrong it is and un-natural when that's not the case? You have nothing else to base it on, so it seems pretty pointless.
Reply 434
Arguably, not acting upon homosexual urges for an entire lifetime shows stronger character than waiting a few years and coming out to a society that is very tolerant. I accept that this is all very subjective though, so...you may be right, who knows. :smile:

What about a homosexual relationship where they don't have sex, for example, they only kiss? They are (for some strange reason) waiting until marriage? Is this acceptable?
Original post by Liam123
I'm confused. By your own moral standards, is it only the feelings of your family you put before your own, or is it that something you believe you should do in all instances?

Respecting family is very important for me and I really strive to put their feelings above my own.

However, if what you're getting at involves a choice between your family and your ideal partner, that is an incredibly hard moral decision and I would not wish it upon anybody. I don't know the right thing to do in that case, I personally would adhere to the wishes of my family, my own flesh and blood. Then again, I'm probably underestimating the strength of such a love between partners. I genuinely don't know what to do here. :smile:, you got me.
Yes, I get that.
My point is, if that's all you have to base it on, why come on here telling us how wrong it is and un-natural when that's not the case? You have nothing else to base it on, so it seems pretty pointless.

Did the thread not demand opinionated answers? I apologise if you think it didn't.
i think with sleeping with a man is disgusting and i don't think they should teach it in schools...some things should not be on the school curriculum...
Original post by Helevorn
What about a homosexual relationship where they don't have sex, for example, they only kiss? They are (for some strange reason) waiting until marriage? Is this acceptable?

Sadly, though that in itself is an admirable sentiment, I don't really think that is acceptable.
Did the thread not demand opinionated answers? I apologise if you think it didn't.

Well you were arguing with people as if you were talking about FACT, rather than your opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending