The Student Room Group

Fat people who say they can't lose weight..

Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.

Scroll to see replies

There are medical conditions you insensitive moron.
Reply 2
a routine eye test revealed a problem with Sarah Little's brain.

I read that as: "Sarah's little brain" and was like
Reply 3
Some overweight people could lose weight, I agree - my dad used to be four stone overweight (put it all on after quitting smoking) and managed to lose it all in three months by stopping drinking and starting to cycle to work.

However, not all can. I have a blood sugar condition (congenital hyperinsulinism if you're really that interested) which means I have to eat complex carbohydrates every few hours or I can become faint, pass out, and eventually fall into a coma and die, and thus I have to eat far more every day than is recommended for a female of my height and activity levels; exercise worsens this because I have to replace the sugar I've burnt, and also because I find hypoglycaemia affects me far more the thinner I am. In effect, I have a choice between eating what I need to eat to be healthy, and not being overweight. Obviously, because the side effects of hypoglycaemia are horrible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroglycopenia is a lovely list of things I experience) I choose instead to eat what I need to avoid it, and am thus a little bit overweight, with very little choice in the matter.
Reply 4
1. Gain an addiction
2. Run around with double or triple your wieght on your shoulders
3. Dont forget the cracking skin from where fat folds over
4. Oh, and knees and back that feel like they might break
5. See no weight being lost, even after exercise, because you can't stop eating
6. start feeling ill, sweaty, and out of breath, just from getting out of your chair

After that, come back and tell me it was easy to lose weight
>Posts a serious post
>Links to Daily Mail
Reply 6
I agree, you would have to be pretty unmotivated to get fat in the first place, you would realise you are putting on weight and then diet or do some f***ing exercise.
Reply 7
Original post by Bosch
1. Gain an addiction
2. Run around with double or triple your wieght on your shoulders
3. Dont forget the cracking skin from where fat folds over
4. Oh, and knees and back that feel like they might break
5. See no weight being lost, even after exercise, because you can't stop eating
6. start feeling ill, sweaty, and out of breath, just from getting out of your chair

After that, come back and tell me it was easy to lose weight

but what about gaining the weight in the first place.
Reply 8
Original post by dean01234
but what about gaining the weight in the first place.

Something awful happening in thier lives? People will do anything to make them feel happy again, sometimes it's alcohol, sometimes it's drugs, and sometimes it's food
Original post by Caprisun!
There are medical conditions you insensitive moron.

B0LLOCKS. They are all disgusting fat gluttons and they should all be gassed, the lot of them.
But theyre only fat due to medical conditions, gawd. :rolleyes:

I accept some people genuinely have medical conditions, but it's a very small minority! Im fed up of the excuses; eat a balanced diet, do some exercises and stop relying on cars for short journeys. That's not exactly difficult.

Oh and another excuse is 'I dont have enough time', funny how everyone else can manage isnt it!
Original post by Bosch
Something awful happening in thier lives? People will do anything to make them feel happy again, sometimes it's alcohol, sometimes it's drugs, and sometimes it's food

for a while maybe.

but then surely you would look in the mirror and realise that you have put lots of weight on. And you would have to be a weak person to need to do something to make you happy.
Original post by MissLightyear
But theyre only fat due to medical conditions, gawd. :rolleyes:

I accept some people genuinely have medical conditions, but it's a very small minority! Im fed up of the excuses; eat a balanced diet, do some exercises and stop relying on cars for short journeys. That's not exactly difficult.

Oh and another excuse is 'I dont have enough time', funny how everyone else can manage isnt it!

amen
Reply 13
Original post by dean01234
for a while maybe.

but then surely you would look in the mirror and realise that you have put lots of weight on. And you would have to be a weak person to need to do something to make you happy.

*Sigh* What if somebody lost both thier parents in an accident, leaving them completely on thier own at 15, but of course if they were somehow "upset" about that, and used something to make themselves feel better, they would be weak right?
Original post by The-Real-One
Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.

1) she can't be that 'conscientious' / 'intelligent' otherwise she'd know that 2 stone weight loss in 3 weeks is REALLY unhealthy.

2) As person who has been slim all their lives and currently has a bmi slam bang in the middle of healthy I still feel i've gotta stick up for the fatties. There is medical evidence to back up sugar addiction can be as hard to give up as smoking, and I can easily believe that. When I've tried to loose a few pounds I have NOT found it easy at all, and theres endless seemingly contradicting peices of information on nutrition and all these silly fad diets.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vindobona
a routine eye test revealed a problem with Sarah Little's brain.

I read that as: "Sarah's little brain" and was like

So did I and then I thought you wrote little britain lol
Fat people are just in the habit of eating a lot and doing little, and have the habitual thought pattern that they need to keep eating. We all have the same problems in life, because all of our problems are directly linked to our thought patterns. For example, a person suffering from depression has a habitual thought pattern telling them their life sucks, and that they aren't good enough etc, and they face the same problem as the fat person; both have deeply ingrained beliefs that are limiting them and causing ill-health, and both need to work on improving their thoughts in order to overcome their problem. I hate the 'gene' excuse. There's no doubt that some people put on weight more easily than others, and some people have naturally slower metabolisms, but it is the frame of mind that makes you stuff yourself silly and not exercise, not the genes.
It's not laziness but my only guess would be some serious medical condition hindering their ability to lose weight,maybe their genetic makeup,race OR they have not realized the severity of their intake ,yet.I used to be over-weight but that was only after I took some serious medication,chemotherapy. Ironically, I was born pre-mature 1lbs < to which my father's initial reaction was : WTF :lolwut:.All has changed now,I have gone all muscular.

~ibysaiyan
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jjackson18624
1) she can't be that 'conscientious' / 'intelligent' otherwise she'd know that 2 stone weight loss in 3 weeks is REALLY unhealthy.

2) As person who has been slim all their lives and currently has a bmi slam bang in the middle of healthy I still feel i've gotta stick up for the fatties. There is medical evidence to back up sugar addiction can be as hard to give up as smoking, and I can easily believe that. When I've tried to loose a few pounds I have NOT found it easy at all, and theres endless seemingly contradicting peices of information on nutrition and all these silly fad diets.

Obviously it's difficult to lose the weight - otherwise there wouldn't be so many fat people. My opinion is that it is no excuse though. If you are a little overweight then I can see you motivation to lose it may be quite low, but there is no excuse for obese people to stay obese because it's "hard" to lose it. It's just laziness.
Original post by Bosch
*Sigh* What if somebody lost both thier parents in an accident, leaving them completely on thier own at 15, but of course if they were somehow "upset" about that, and used something to make themselves feel better, they would be weak right?

I would rather speak to someone when im depressed. I'd rather be having life and taking your mind off the subject, rather than obsessing about food all the time.

One of my friends from my old school found his dad dead in the morning after a serious heart attack in the night. 2 weeks later he was in school, I could tell he was really upset but he carried on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending