The Student Room Group

Genetics

Any help on this question would be much appreciated:

Outline the differences in gentic mapping between haploid and diploid organisms?

A reply asap, is much appreciated,

Thanks
Reply 1
haploid = 23
diploid = 46

genetic mapping = mapping of genes to specific locations on chromosomes

Therefore you should possibly think about the fact that the organisms with single copies are far more likely to get genetic linked diseases and such and they only have one copy of gene map, as opposed to those organisms with dos.
Reply 2
The numbers you gave are specific for humans. So varies for other organisms.

When you say "one copy of gene map" what do you mean by that. Also are there any other distinct differences between the two.

All i can gather is that since haploid has half the set of number of chromosomes of diploid, there is less likely chance of crossing over occuring. But I don't know how true this is. Any other advice
Reply 3
Well I had to give an example and you understood it. I don't like typing much. :-D

Well, to summaries genetic mapping is predominantly about linkage between the loci of each chromosome, cross over frequencies and such and this is possible with diploid organisms, whereas haploid organisms do not have homologous chromosomes, so I'm not sure if its even possible to do genetic mapping in haploid organisms.
Reply 4
Thanks for sparing the time i appreciate it. Yh I thought genetic mapping wasn't possible for haploid organisms. Also yh its better to be precise and some up than write an assay, thanks for your help
Reply 5
Original post by Turkishee
Well I had to give an example and you understood it. I don't like typing much. :-D

Well, to summaries genetic mapping is predominantly about linkage between the loci of each chromosome, cross over frequencies and such and this is possible with diploid organisms, whereas haploid organisms do not have homologous chromosomes, so I'm not sure if its even possible to do genetic mapping in haploid organisms.

It's definately possible to map haploid organisms like yeast as they do go through meiosis.

Quick Reply

Latest