The Student Room Group

Mums 'partner' on finance

Am i supposed to put down my mums partner on my student finance? what happens if i dont (i plan on doing it btw but curiousity?), as i do feel its very unfair as i barely speak to him, he's not gonna now or ever help me financially. In the past they have split up and not lived together to periods of time though as well, so does it count if they live together now? or for a certain length of time?
Original post by Aarroonnn
Am i supposed to put down my mums partner on my student finance? what happens if i dont (i plan on doing it btw but curiousity?), as i do feel its very unfair as i barely speak to him, he's not gonna now or ever help me financially. In the past they have split up and not lived together to periods of time though as well, so does it count if they live together now? or for a certain length of time?

Your views are irrelevent.
Your mum's partner has to be included if they live together.
To not do so would be fraud and you couldn't prove she was a single person unless they are already committing fraud and she is claiming the single person supplement of council tax.
Reply 2
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Your views are irrelevent.
Your mum's partner has to be included if they live together.
To not do so would be fraud and you couldn't prove she was a single person unless they are already committing fraud and she is claiming the single person supplement of council tax.

Well thanks for you input, although it was rather rudely put. And i don't think my mum is claiming single person tax.
Well thanks for you input, although it was rather rudely put. And i don't think my mum is claiming single person tax.

I didn't realise you wanted to be pussyfooted. Potential fraudsters just annoy me and most taxpayers.
If your mum isn't getting single person supplement they'll KNOW she has a partner.
Reply 4
Original post by hypocriticaljap
I didn't realise you wanted to be pussyfooted. Potential fraudsters just annoy me and most taxpayers.
If your mum isn't getting single person supplement they'll KNOW she has a partner.

I didn't realise that to get a response it would be in such a rude and disrespectful manner (but hey its the internet, i should have expected it). Why are you accusing me of potentially commiting fraud? I simply asked what WOULD happen, it was curiousity, it doesn't mean anything. I also wonder what it'd be like to be a cat, it doesn't mean im gonna go hunting in my garden for mice.
We had the same issue when my sister went to uni. My mum was getting married to her partner, and so obviously she included him on the forms, and it is very simple in practical terms. However, it feels really awkward. They are low earners so my sister was entitled to everything anyway, but it felt uncomfortable for everyone to have him assessed as some kind of 'parent' when he was never going to be that, in any financial or emotional way. Even though his income was included in the decision for funding, his income was never going to pay towards fees/living costs etc whether he could afford it or not, and we would never expect him to.

It is a difficult position to be in, but the paperwork is very black and white, it does not allow for grey areas!
I didn't realise that to get a response it would be in such a rude and disrespectful manner (but hey its the internet, i should have expected it). Why are you accusing me of potentially commiting fraud? I simply asked what WOULD happen, it was curiousity, it doesn't mean anything. I also wonder what it'd be like to be a cat, it doesn't mean im gonna go hunting in my garden for mice.

Grow up. You asked a question, you got an answer. I couldn't give a toss that you don't like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending