The Student Room Group

Naturism

In the modern media and fashion it is increasingly acceptable to show more and more skin and many celebs seem happy to appear almost naked yet being naked around others or in groups is still seen as something of taboo.

I have been into naturism for a while and and have found it feels completely normal to be naked around people in a matter of seconds. As a person who is lacking in confidence and feels awkward in being in large crowds i have found removing cloths also removes any barriers between people and seems to magically put everyone on the same level.

There are many benifits touted by the naturist comminuty most of which are mentioned on this page http://www.i-naked.info/aboutnaturism/ (Warning does contain non-sexual nudity in a couple of photo's)

So what are peoples views on naturism? have you ever tried it or thought about trying it?
In winter? Nude? You will be lucky if you survive to 2011.
I have been to a saunas/spa when on holiday in the Netherlands, and one in Berlin. A sauna or a swim feels much more comfortable when naked (sitting on a towel in a sauna) and to be honest, no-one there bats an eyelid.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think it's seen as a taboo because (I'm being honest here) people don't generally want to see other people naked.. it can be awkward and it could be potentially distressing for little kids..
I know it's natural and everything, and by all means do it if you want, but if you're going to do it, do it with a group of people who don't mind, IMO :smile:
But well done to you for having confidence to do it! I wouldn't consider it tbh, I'd be wayyy to self-concious.
Original post by foldingstars45
I think it's seen as a taboo because (I'm being honest here) people don't generally want to see other people naked.. it can be awkward and it could be potentially distressing for little kids..
I know it's natural and everything, and by all means do it if you want, but if you're going to do it, do it with a group of people who don't mind, IMO :smile:
But well done to you for having confidence to do it! I wouldn't consider it tbh, I'd be wayyy to self-concious.

You stop being self conscious after a few minutes. I think the wish may often be that you wouldn't wish people you know (family, friends, fellow students, or work colleagues) to see you naked. On a similar theme I remember two women on a bus having a conversation about whether or not to sunbathe topless on holiday and the main concern was the friend's husband being there.
Reply 6

Why for little kids in particular?
Original post by dring
Why for little kids in particular?

well i wouldn't like to be 7 years old and see a huge, fat, hairy old man.. it'd be scary.
Most naturist places I've come across either are exculsively aimed at families or don't allow under 18s. I've never seen a child at any spa I've been to.
I'm a life model... so yes, in a way i do it all the time.

think pretty much all my friends have seen me naked at some point or another, they find the whole thing hilarious and are now pretty unphased by me.

really wish there were more nudist clubs around that weren't just full of old folk
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10

Are you sure you're just not talking about yourself? And how on earth would it be distressing for little kids :confused: Only if you start telling them they should be distressed.
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
I'm a life model... so yes, in a way i do it all the time.

think pretty much all my friends have seen me naked at some point or another, they find the whole thing hilarious and are now pretty unphased by me.

really wish there were more nudist clubs around that weren't just full of old folk

In the German and Dutch spas I've been to there are plenty of younger people.
Reply 12
Surely it would ruin the excitement if you got used to seeing the other sex naked?
Reply 13
After the Fall of Man human beings felt inclined to cover themselves up in the Garden of Eden. To become a naturist and to live your life unclothed is a flagrant rejection of responsibility for sin.
Original post by spocckka
Surely it would ruin the excitement if you got used to seeing the other sex naked?

No it doesn't because of the context being different.
Original post by andrewk
In the modern media and fashion it is increasingly acceptable to show more and more skin and many celebs seem happy to appear almost naked yet being naked around others or in groups is still seen as something of taboo.

I have been into naturism for a while and and have found it feels completely normal to be naked around people in a matter of seconds. As a person who is lacking in confidence and feels awkward in being in large crowds i have found removing cloths also removes any barriers between people and seems to magically put everyone on the same level.

There are many benifits touted by the naturist comminuty most of which are mentioned on this page http://www.i-naked.info/aboutnaturism/ (Warning does contain non-sexual nudity in a couple of photo's)

So what are peoples views on naturism? have you ever tried it or thought about trying it?

It removes the dignity in human beings and only increasings 'desire' and seeing women as objects, and not their ideas.
Reply 16
We are have a cold climate where most of the time people cover themselves up. When it is hot like today many people dress appropriately. Some of them don't and I've seen people walk round in thick coats, especially middle-aged men who have let themselves go. The change from cold to hot must have some pyschological effect on us, whereas in other countries that are hot it is a way of life for people.
Original post by sixthformer
It removes the dignity in human beings and only increasings 'desire' and seeing women as objects, and not their ideas.

In the wrong context such as page 3 photographs it does, it's a matter of the setting where people have no clothes. Swimming and a sauna are more comfortable without clothes on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending