The Student Room Group

What is freshers really like?

thought i would ask for some first hand experiences to what freshers is like.

Scroll to see replies

Nothing special.
Reply 2
If you don't like drinking or clubbing, it's pretty ****.

*kanye shrugs*
Reply 3
Boring lol it just involves alot of alcohol, the queues everywhere are huge but theres not a chance to get to the bar properly, just allows people to get to know each other and waste money :biggrin:
Amazing.
Reply 5
Just pretty much like 7 saturday nights in a row, its awesome tho
Reply 6
I am not being melodramatic, but its literally the greatest thing that will ever happen to you! Every year in your life will seem like a damp rag compared to your year as a fresher, and nothing will ever live up to how great your time will be.

...Im geussing that's the answer your looking for. Happy?
Reply 7
I went to the induction sessions, picked up my course information, and buggered off home. :bebored:

And somehow during that time I met a group of people who are now my best friends. And one of them is my boyfriend :love:

Freshers is what you make it. Are you into clubbing and stuff?
Reply 8
One of the best weeks of my life, met mates that i know now (4 years on) and will do for a long time, got drunk, went out every night, queued a bit too much, just get in the mix of it,
Seems like its going to be crap for me.

I am really not a drinking type....hmmm... I will just talk to everybody then! :smile:
Reply 10
Cling desperately to the nearest people, go to a cheesy uni club, fill in some uni paperwork and try to reinvent yourself as a social butterfly, only to fail by the end of the week and regress into being your true hermit self on the internet 24/7.
The first night was amazing, but I don't really remember most of my Freshers.

While I wish I could blame that on alcohol, it was just that uneventful.
Reply 12
absolutely mental!!!
i had 3 weeks of freshers, pre freshers, freshers and re-freshers and was out every single night :biggrin:
make sure you are as healthy as possible before hand and enough cash to last though!!
"What's you're name?"
"What are you studying?"
"Where do you live?"
"Where are you from?"

Rinse and repeat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
very sociable :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Cicerao
Cling desperately to the nearest people, go to a cheesy uni club, fill in some uni paperwork and try to reinvent yourself as a social butterfly, only to fail by the end of the week and regress into being your true hermit self on the internet 24/7.

Original post by sicarius1992
"What's you're name?"
"Where are you studying?"
"Where do you live?"
"Where are you from?"

Rinse and repeat.

These two sum up my Freshers to an eerie degree! I mean seriously, this is exactly it. For me at least. I'm not that sociable :P. I was more 'hide in my room sad' than using the internet, but still.

I'm only really settling in properly now! It can take so long, but I don't think I've ever been so happy, so if Freshers goes poorly for you then don't worry! Even when everyone else is settling in so well, becoming best friends, it always changes. The only thing you need to try and do is make sure you have a few close buddies for house-hunting as you're expected to do that bloody early if you want a good one!
Depends where you are... For me, I don't drink but my uni offered loads of alternatives.
When I received the programme I thought I would be doing absolutely everything: coffee crawls, trips to the museum, castle, botanical gardens, mountaineering, a zillion shows and concerts, workshops, international parties etc...

The week was crammed with stuff, but I just didn't feel up for it being so new to the city. I wanted to get to grips with where everything was, supermarkets, local coffee shops, nice walks, libraries, parks, the gym etc.

You don't often meet someone who stays your friend for a long time.
You go on a lot of awkward pub crawls which often feel forced.
That said, I really enjoyed some trips to the theatre. The ball was a let down.
A big blur of being drunk, feeling lonely, overwhelmed by absolutely everything, happy, crying cause you hate uni, absolutely loving uni!

Exploring where your uni is and shopping a lot. Didn't really do much with Freshers Fair, only went once becuase they were all the same. And the uni didn't have anything scheduled except enrollment and introductions they were all in week 2 so week 1 was just a lot of hanging around during the day and going out at night.
Original post by Jesse_Mac
These two sum up my Freshers to an eerie degree! I mean seriously, this is exactly it. For me at least. I'm not that sociable :P. I was more 'hide in my room sad' than using the internet, but still.

I'm only really settling in properly now! It can take so long, but I don't think I've ever been so happy, so if Freshers goes poorly for you then don't worry! Even when everyone else is settling in so well, becoming best friends, it always changes. The only thing you need to try and do is make sure you have a few close buddies for house-hunting as you're expected to do that bloody early if you want a good one!

That's really true. On the first night I met two girls from the same flat, but a different flat to me and a few days later another girl from their flat came. I was always really jealous that they were all best friends and in the same flatBut 8 weeks or so into uni they had a HUGE bust up and one of them moved out! Now the other two get on ok but they're not as close. I'm only good friends with about 2 people from the first week now. One of the girls I hung around with I haven't even seen around since before Christmas, it's weird!
Reply 19
are the friends you make in freshers the ones you stick with throughout the year?

Quick Reply

Latest