The Student Room Group

I want to learn to play an instrument but don't know what

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Are you going to put the time in? If so, violin sounds the best. Piano is not hard to learn really, especially if you get ahead with reading music. A year of practice and you can play pretty much what you without insurmountable difficulty.
Original post by SteveCrain
Are you going to put the time in? If so, violin sounds the best. Piano is not hard to learn really, especially if you get ahead with reading music. A year of practice and you can play pretty much what you without insurmountable difficulty.

The piano isn't hard?
It's easier to get started on, but to play to a very good level takes a lot more (and obviously professional is extremely difficult).
Reply 22
Original post by Emaemmaemily
The piano isn't hard?
It's easier to get started on, but to play to a very good level takes a lot more (and obviously professional is extremely difficult).

As playing any instrument professionally is extremely difficult. I might take a lot and a long time to actually get good, but IMO it's one of the easiest instruments to actually sound good on.
(edited 13 years ago)
As playing any instrument professionally is extremely difficult. I might take a lot and a long time to actually get good, but IMO it's one of the easiest instruments to actually sound good on.

Yeah, like I said it's quicker to get immediate results, but that's not because it's an easy instrument in general. It's actually very hard to get co-ordination when you're a beginner... The only difference to other instruments is you play badly but with a good tone lol.
bull****; a keyboard is fine

No.
Original post by Da Bachtopus
No.

A keyboard will be fine to begin with, for a while. It could be quite a while before they get to the stage that they NEED regular access to a piano, but then if the OP is only doing it all for fun anyway they may never decide to do that.
Reply 26
I was 6 when i picked up a recorder *sigh*

Then i wanted to play flute at 7, but couldn't make a sound so i played clarinet instead (if a bit reluctantly...) but now i love my clarinet :smile:
and it helped me to play saxophone.... i've also played cello, have picked up the flute, self-taught guitar (not well...) and a bit of piano.... clarinet and saxophone are a great combo though :biggrin:

If size of instrument is an issue, try flute, although it is a bit of an oversubscribed thing... maybe oboe? or trumpet? :biggrin:

HOWEVER!!! don't choose an instrument because it's the "easiest".... you can't get good on an instrument unless you put in hours of practise and have a good teacher ^_^
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
I've played the piano, violin and guitar. I still play the piano, but I've given up the others; the violin after 8 years and the guitar after a few months. Notably, the guitar was the only one I chose to start myself. While it was probably down to noncoercion on my parents' part, I think having a visceral inclination to a certain instrument isn't necessarily a good indicator of potential enjoyment. Though, since in your case it's the piano, I'm partial to saying it's a good choice.

If you're unable to sample several instruments first, I suppose familiarising yourself with the core canon of the respective instruments - though it would take time - might point you in the right direction. I guess the abundance of great piano works is the main reason why I enjoy it much more than the others I played. Practicing can still be mundane but it's at least a means to a worthwhile end. It would probably take a while to get there, so persistence is paramount... unless you'd be happy to plateau at contentment with playing nothing more than Einaudi (I'm sure this does happen :colonhash:)

Will you be able to have regular access to a piano? If not, then you probably won't get that far. You could be better off learning guitar, as it's portable and versatile, and doesn't present a beginner with intonation problems.

:eek: Haven't seen you around here for about 2 years
Original post by RollerBall
I've set myself a fairly long goal of learning to play an instrument to a decent level. I'm in London so I don't think sourcing a teacher would be of much difficulty.

I used to play drums when I was younger, I stopped when I was at about grade four/five. Mostly because my commitment waned 'cause my lessons were always in chemistry which I preferred. I also couldn't practice at home because a drum kit is large/bulky/noisy and there was no room + I had a baby brother.

I'm now at University and regret never learning to play anything. BUT, I have no idea what I'd like to learn. I can see the pluses and negatives of guitar, drums, violin and piano. I know these are a random mix of instruments but I've narrowed it down to these. I did learn some very basic piano in year 12 (chords other simple things) but didn't really enjoy it as the pieces were very boring. Again, I also never bought a keyboard to play at home so only had about four hours total practice.

Essentially, what I'm trying to ask in a long winded and contorted way is, what made you start to learn your instrument? Do you have any recommendations on what I should learn? I always lean to piano but I'm not sure why. My taste in music is always fairly narrow so I don't think I'm completely aware of what each instrument can do/what sort of music I'd be playing with them.

I personally would pick guitar. I started teaching myself how to play sometime last year, and I would say I'm quite a decent musician now, and it goes well with my voice :biggrin:. Guitar all the way!
Trumpet every time its just so versatile everything from renaissance through baroque, classical, romantic and the 20th and indeed 21st century however the same can be said for piano's or violins. As someone has said previously it depends what kind of music you like, i like jazz of most types from big band through to soul and motown
Original post by scherzi
Haven't seen you around here for about 2 years

I went away as I was procrastinating here too much. It seems, in the interim, that TSR has become ****, so I'm not so worried about wasting too much time on it any more. GOGSoc is fairly quiet, so otherwise I just post sarcastic replies in H&R.
Reply 31
I went away as I was procrastinating here too much. It seems, in the interim, that TSR has become ****, so I'm not so worried about wasting too much time on it any more. GOGSoc is fairly quiet, so otherwise I just post sarcastic replies in H&R.

Fair enough. This section has become dead(er) in that time too, unfortunately
Reply 32
I've played a variety of instruments, my current favourite being the bass.

I thought it would be easy and it was - you can get straight in to playing decent songs with minimal practice.
Only problem is, it's lonely sometimes without the rest of a band...

Quick Reply

Latest