The Student Room Group

Durham or Sheffield

Really struggling to choose between the two.

I've tried listing pros & cons. The list isn't great because I've only been up to both once.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I visited Sheffield the city seemed to be very nice. Both places have great accomodation imo any advice or first-hand experience would be hugely appreciated
Sheffield personally.

The courses are reasonably similar, so ask yourself where would you rather spend 5 years?
Sheffield, or Stockton?
Reply 3
Original post by Cheesegrater
Sheffield personally.

The courses are reasonably similar, so ask yourself where would you rather spend 5 years?
Sheffield, or Stockton?

Medicine at Durham is 2 years then remaning at Newcastle.

People keep telling me the city of sheffield is amazing and the social scene is great too. I didn't get that feeling when I spoke to a friend at Stockton, telling me they travel to Middlesborough, Durham or Newcastle for socials.
I also like the fact that sheffield will be mixed with all other students rather than just a secluded campus with a few subjects.

But eh.
Original post by Moonkin

People keep telling me the city of sheffield is amazing and the social scene is great too. I didn't get that feeling when I spoke to a friend at Stockton, telling me they travel to Middlesborough, Durham or Newcastle for socials.
I also like the fact that sheffield will be mixed with all other students rather than just a secluded campus with a few subjects.

But eh.

TBH it sounds like you know which one you prefer already... what is it that's holding you back and making you still think about Durham? What do you think you might miss out on at Durham if you were to go to Sheffield?
Reply 5
Original post by *pitseleh*
TBH it sounds like you know which one you prefer already... what is it that's holding you back and making you still think about Durham? What do you think you might miss out on at Durham if you were to go to Sheffield?

Oh haha no. I am still very much open minded and confused. (about university)
Reply 6
sheffield :smile: (not biased honest... :tongue:)
Original post by Moonkin
Really struggling to choose between the two.

I've tried listing pros & cons. The list isn't great because I've only been up to both once.

I am from Durham,

if you want to do medicine, if I am honest, Sheffield is probably easier, since you don't have to go to Stockton and then to Newcastle, although both are awesome =) now go out there and train and save lives ^ ^
Reply 8
I'd go for Sheffield. As others have said, it seems that the social life in Stockton isn't that great whereas if you go to Sheffield, you'll be based in a big city :smile: It'll also mean you won't have to worry about finding accommodation/getting used to a new city and uni half way through your degree.
Reply 9
Original post by Johnny Luk
I am from Durham,

if you want to do medicine, if I am honest, Sheffield is probably easier, since you don't have to go to Stockton and then to Newcastle, although both are awesome =) now go out there and train and save lives ^ ^

LOL someone negged you for this?!

What did you mean by the bit in bold? Also thanks for opinion. What year are you in?
Sheffield
Reply 11
What is important to you?

In Sheffield you will get the stability of not having to move after 2 years and a great social life. (but also consider that some students move house every year anyway so it might not even matter.)
In Durham you will have to move but it will be to Newcastle which has one of the best night/social life's in the country plus it is the cheapest university city to rent in(does affordable accommodation matter to you?). Going to med schools in two cities also means you will get to experience so many more hospitals and two+ NHS trusts.

Also which one is closest to home and does that matter?

I obviously would choose Durham but like I said you need to decide where is right for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sheffiled....although the ability to be in Newcastle would be emmence!
Reply 13
Sheffield all the way!!!
Reply 14
I don't understand why somebody would apply to Durham Stockton and then choose Sheffield over it? You might as well have applied directly to Newcastle... it has exactly the same course and you graduate with the same parchment, but it's based in a big city. :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by Beska
I don't understand why somebody would apply to Durham Stockton and then choose Sheffield over it? You might as well have applied directly to Newcastle... it has exactly the same course and you graduate with the same parchment, but it's based in a big city. :confused:

My mate was in Stockton.
Original post by Moonkin
LOL someone negged you for this?!

What did you mean by the bit in bold? Also thanks for opinion. What year are you in?

haha, sorry I assumed you were applying for medicine? i am a 2nd year =), Durham is great, you won't do bad in either and you will be so busy anyhow it won't matter too much since ull be in labs or lecture halls while working, or wasted in a club which you won't remember anyway, or sleeping in your halls when your exhausted. And newcastle (which is the latter half of the course) is fantastic anyhow, so best of both worlds really!

The fact that you got two offers means your clearly a high calibre candidate so you will do fantastic wherever =-)
Reply 17
Original post by Johnny Luk
haha, sorry I assumed you were applying for medicine? i am a 2nd year =), Durham is great, you won't do bad in either and you will be so busy anyhow it won't matter too much since ull be in labs or lecture halls while working, or wasted in a club which you won't remember anyway, or sleeping in your halls when your exhausted. And newcastle (which is the latter half of the course) is fantastic anyhow, so best of both worlds really!

The fact that you got two offers means your clearly a high calibre candidate so you will do fantastic wherever =-)

I am doing medicine but that bit seemed to have a hidden meaning. Me being stupid.

Last bit is so nice. Thanks a lot mate.
Reply 18
Original post by Moonkin

But eh.

Blummin' eck. That's quite a hike! Durham to Newcastle is bad enough, on the bus anyway, but Stockton to Newcastle? Stockton's a stone's throw away from Yorkshire :p:

Actually, Queen's Campus is techincally in the historic North Riding of Yorkshire as it's really in Thornaby, not Stockton.

Original post by anon2010
In Durham you will have to move but it will be to Newcastle which has one of the best night/social life's in the country plus it is the cheapest university city to rent in(does affordable accommodation matter to you?).

Don't know if it really is actually. Newcastle has a reputation for having a reasonable cost of living and, generally speaking, that's true. But in a number of surveys over the past couple of years it has been rated as one of the most expensive in the country in terms of housing costs. Some halls are ridiculously expensive, it's starting to rival Durham's colleges and Birmingham, and this has partly caused the rents in the private sector to inflate.

Newcastle is probably in the top ten to fifteen universities in terms of independent school intake with a significant number of affluent students from the state sector also. They have the money to spend and this can put up rents.

Which isn't to say good deals still can't be had, just need to be mindful of areas like Jesmond or the city centre. Maybe even Heaton these days. I don't know why I said even Heaton. Historically I think it was more affluent than Jesmond. Certainly as affluent.

I did come across one of the Yuppie apartments on the Quayside for about £120 a week though. That was surprising. Considered taking it myself and commute to Durham. Have proper city living...
i'm from sheffield originally.... great place to be a student. go there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending