The Student Room Group

IB HL CompSci Vs. A-Level Computing

EDIT: Because not many people have experienced all of these courses I have included the syllabuses for them and would appreciate if uni CompSci students could tell me which they think is more in tune with uni CompSci, would be more beneficial and useful. Many thanks. :biggrin:

Note: The syllabus are quite long but you only need to briefly go over the content and I would really appreciate it. :biggrin:
-----
What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two courses and major differences? And which would you say is more in tune with Uni CompSci?

Also, how do these compare to AP CompSci A?

Thanks for your time. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know how those courses compare, but I know that A-Level Computing is quite weak and not that useful. If you aren't planning to do Further Maths, I'd do that instead.
Reply 2
Original post by eliotball
I don't know how those courses compare, but I know that A-Level Computing is quite weak and not that useful. If you aren't planning to do Further Maths, I'd do that instead.

I'm already doing further maths (early) so that's why I was asking about these two courses.
Reply 3
Original post by ElMoro
I'm already doing further maths (early) so that's why I was asking about these two courses.

Are you planning to do CS at university?

I am afraid I do not know about the two courses, but I know plenty of people who got in to Oxford / IC (or both) with Maths, FMaths and Computing (A-Level).

However I still think top universities prefer Physics, and while I was a CS applicant myself I think Computing A-Level is pretty much useless for anything other than CS.
Probably isn't bad, but isn't beneficial to other courses.

Hope this helps a little in that, if you are applying to CS, you can't go too wrong with Computer A-Level. However I am afraid I have studied neither course myself, and know nothing about IB.
Reply 4
Oxford now accept an A* in Computing OR Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Fallen
Are you planning to do CS at university?

I am afraid I do not know about the two courses, but I know plenty of people who got in to Oxford / IC (or both) with Maths, FMaths and Computing (A-Level).

However I still think top universities prefer Physics, and while I was a CS applicant myself I think Computing A-Level is pretty much useless for anything other than CS.
Probably isn't bad, but isn't beneficial to other courses.

Hope this helps a little in that, if you are applying to CS, you can't go too wrong with Computer A-Level. However I am afraid I have studied neither course myself, and know nothing about IB.

Yes, I want to do CS at uni. (well either that or engineering but I am planning for both at the mo)

Well, I'll probably finish AS further maths by the end of the year so in college I could do A-level Physics, A-level Chemistry and A2 FMaths. But I've read that unis would like to see you be able to cope with three full A-levels at the same time so I would like to do computing aswell.

I've heard that computing is that useful for cs which is why I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the help. :smile:

Original post by compy

:woo:
Reply 6
:bump:

Have included syllabuses. :smile:
Just had a quick look through the IB syllabus, it looks mostly similar to the AQA computing AS I'm currently taking. Overall I'd say it's not particularly hard, it's a good introduction but an introduction at best. It's pretty light, even though many in my class struggle currently but I'd say it's nothing that won't be covered in the first term or two at Uni. The most challenging aspect obviously is the coding element, and I must admit it really does help to get that introduction and the practice, and I definitely plan on doing the full A level.
Original post by compy

That's almost right, but not the whole story. For 2012 entry onto any of our three undergraduate Oxford Computer Science courses we will normally make an offer of A*AA on three A levels including at least an A in Maths.

For Computer Science, and Computer Science & Philosophy students the A* must be in Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. For Maths & Computer Science students the A* must be in Mathematics or Further Mathematics.

Computing is a mathematical subject, especially in the way we approach it at Oxford. So you will need to know some mathematics, and more importantly, to have developed your ability in mathematical thinking. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best way of doing this, but we recognise that some schools are unable to offer this combination. We also recommend taking a science subject, such as Physics.

You don't have to have studied Computer Science at school to realistically apply to any of our three courses; but you do need to be able to demonstrate genuine enthusiasm for the subject. (Computer Science and Philosophy can be studied at Oxford without requiring any previous qualifications in either subject.)

We're also happy to accept lots of other types of qualifications - IB, EB, French Bac, etc - you can find more details on our admissions website: http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computer_Science_at_Oxford
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending