The Student Room Group

January Results - my parents don't care :\

Totallt dont wanna seem like some pathetic whiny child or something, but I got my AS result for a Jan exam - high A in Textiles.
Pretty good right?
But after being ecstatic with me over great GCSE results, I came home, told my family, and nobody really seemed to give a ****. Not like I want patting on the head every five seconds, but some recognition for me working my ass off would be nice.
Just wanted to know whether you guys thought this was out of line?
And also, what should I do about it, like, talk to my parents? How? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

The good result should be enough, in my opinion.
Reply 2
Hmm, it is a bit odd for them not to say anything.

I suppose it depends on the parent's attitude towards praise, etc.

I'd say something like, "I just don't feel as if you were as proud of me as I think I deserved. It'd be nice to have that, you know?" - Or something like that. :dontknow:
do they understand what these results are? that they count towards a-levels? or how rare a good a is? with a*s at GCSE and a-level an a doesnt seem as good anymore, explain you couldn't have got much higher.
Reply 4
u shouldnt do anything. just be happy with yourself that ur hard work paid off and u got the grade.
(edited 13 years ago)
you shouldn't need others approval to be proud of yourself. know that you did your absolute best and worked incredibly hard for what you achieved. i'm sure they are proud of you - even if they're not showing it as much as you'd like. :smile:
Reply 6
Ever thought that GCSE's counted? they were the first major exam you did? (disregarding 11-plus) and that january exams arent as weighty as GCSE's. yes, they do count towards the A level but its not really an indication of your final grade because its so easy to resit.
My parents reacted the same.. i got AAABB and i have 12 exams this summer. i'd just say, dont dwell on it too much. if your parents dont appreciate your results in your june A2 year then there's something to worry about. :smile:

Oh an perhaps mention to them that an A* at GCSE level is equivalent to a C at A level.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by losingtouch.
you shouldn't need others approval to be proud of yourself. know that you did your absolute best and worked incredibly hard for what you achieved. i'm sure they are proud of you - even if they're not showing it as much as you'd like. :smile:

bull****
Wtf is textiles?
Reply 9
Get that all the time, trust me, learn to love yourself and dont look for anyones approval.
Reply 10
Not alot you can do, maybe show them some karma next time they give you money, take you out or spend awhile cooking you a meal :wink: Though I've had similar situations happen to me, you just gotta suck it up and be happy with yourself.
Well at least no one said, "Well done, you can sow."
Original post by rooney1000
bull****

why bull****?

you won't get far in life is you need peoples approval after everything you achieve.
working hard to receive praise is stupid. working hard because you WANT to is better.
Reply 13

Carve an A on their foreheads while they're sleeping, trust me, they'll:
a) never forget your grade
b) never forget to praise you, even if you get a D.
Either that or be happy with yourself
I know how you feel. I got full marks in my AS January sciences, and As in the other 2 exams. It's written with the grades next to it, so A next to all. I got home really hopeful, thinking my parent s would be happy, excited, tell me well done, they were proud of me, or something at least. My mother was happy. My father said "oh. why no A*s?" then, when I explained, "well, it's a good start I suppose. Everybody's lucky once".
I think I spent the next two dys crying whenever I was alone in my room. Last time my father really seemed happy with me was KS3 - I'd hoped that'd change it.
I know how you feel :sigh:.

I did really rather well in my January results and then when asking my Dad whether he was proud of me he said, 'I'll be proud only when and if you get into University - not before. You're not there yet.'

Didn't feel great :ashamed2:.
Original post by Reck16
Carve an A on their foreheads while they're sleeping, trust me, they'll:
a) never forget your grade
b) never forget to praise you, even if you get a D.
Either that or be happy with yourself

:rofl:

best advice ever! sorry, I have no rep left
Reply 17
This happens to me a lot, I do get a well done but yeh. Asian parents for me aha.

Its like B?! B.. is that it..well done.
My parents didn't realise what the AS Janurary results were, maybe they're the same. When I got my AS results in the summer my dad then said "So... when are you doing your A levels? Do these exams help you get into uni?"
Reply 19
Original post by Implo
Not alot you can do, maybe show them some karma next time they give you money, take you out or spend awhile cooking you a meal :wink: Though I've had similar situations happen to me, you just gotta suck it up and be happy with yourself.

"Here's some money"
"**** you"

:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending