The Student Room Group

Is East London really THAT dangerous?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TheSownRose
I'd consider it east, considering it is East 17...

Spoiler

Depends really, you can go by postal codes, in which case vast swathes of London are 'East London' including really suburban areas that don't match the public view of East London at all; or there is traditional 'East London' which I'd define as Tower Hamlets, Newham, the Docks and the southern parts of Leyton. That's the old East End and where it's the ****tiest in places. Leytonstone has struck me as quite quiet and almost suburban (although not to the extent of places like the Redbridge area) in character aside from the central shopping drag by the church. It's certainly nothing like Whitechapel or Stratford.
Reply 61
for as long as myself and the langthorn hill massive remain there, yes. But we are shortly off to oxbridge
Original post by ajp100688
Depends really, you can go by postal codes, in which case vast swathes of London are 'East London' including really suburban areas that don't match the public view of East London at all; or there is traditional 'East London' which I'd define as Tower Hamlets, Newham, the Docks and the southern parts of Leyton. That's the old East End and where it's the ****tiest in places. Leytonstone has struck me as quite quiet and almost suburban (although not to the extent of places like the Redbridge area) in character aside from the central shopping drag by the church. It's certainly nothing like Whitechapel or Stratford.

Leytonstone and Walthamstow are holes; they may not be Whitechapel or Newham, but in their own way they are equally ****ty. When I still lived there, which is not so long ago to have seen a dramatic improvement, the milk van in Leytonstone had armour and the police automatically accompanied the ambulance in Walthamstow.
Reply 63
Leytonstone and Walthamstow are holes; they may not be Whitechapel or Newham, but in their own way they are equally ****ty. When I still lived there, which is not so long ago to have seen a dramatic improvement, the milk van in Leytonstone had armour and the police automatically accompanied the ambulance in Walthamstow.

In 8 months of living in Leytonstone I've never seen the police involved in anything other than driving through the area. I've also walked through Leytonstone at all hours and never seen anything bad happen, in fact the little crime I have seen in London has been in Central. I guess it just depends on what part you live in. I don't have much experience of Walthamstow other than the fact it's main shopping drag is awful with that horrible street market they have there.
In 8 months of living in Leytonstone I've never seen the police involved in anything other than driving through the area. I've also walked through Leytonstone at all hours and never seen anything bad happen, in fact the little crime I have seen in London has been in Central. I guess it just depends on what part you live in. I don't have much experience of Walthamstow other than the fact it's main shopping drag is awful with that horrible street market they have there.

Oi! Don't be insulting the street market... :mad:
To all the people saying that Redbridge is safe: I went to a sixth form for two years in Gants Hill, and during that time there were three shootings within 200 meters of my school's front gate (not to mention other crimes). I doubt you'd get that in Suffolk.

Shame - it was the only classy thing about the place.

Yeah, I doubted it had become trendy when my friends and I watched a terrorist raid on TV and I could say, "Oh, I walked past that on my way to school!" :rolleyes:

lol yeah. hahah you must have got loads of stares lol.

yeah i hope to move to a better place soon where the only shank heard of would be the lamb shank waiting to be eaten for dinner :biggrin:
Reply 67

Well, I go to school in Edmonton, which is about as **** as Walthamstow, and police sirens are quite a common occurence. I definitely wouldn't want to live anywhere Walthamstow or Edmonton for that matter.

Edit: And last year, five people were stabbed in Edmonton in 24 hours, leading to it being named 'Shanktown' unofficially.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Oh, are you from Walthamstow? We're trying to build a club of people who live or used to live there.

Oooh, let me join your club :biggrin: Walthamstow is the place to beeeee.
Original post by Phalange
LOL someone just had to par Walthamstow

As long as you don't go out at dodgy times alone, you'll be fine

Walthamstow is fine now even it at dodgy times. It's not like how it was 4-5 years ago...I think Leyton/ Haringey / Edmonton are a lot worse tbh.

Original post by oh-my-diddy
i'm not going to tell you. you might hunt me down and rape me and my lucky draws are in the wash.

Ok. :hmmmm2:
Original post by FinalFlash
Walthamstow is fine now even it at dodgy times

Define dodgy times :erm:
Original post by Superstar6318

My cousins house had a brick thrown through their wall
other than that they seem to be livin' fine

must have been a hard brick
Original post by Bektas
One day, I got on the bus with my day saver, smoked the reefer in corner, I layed low and did a grand theft auto.

Win.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Define dodgy times :erm:

1am onwards? :dontknow:
Reply 74
I'm going to apologise in advance for my poor knowledge of London Boroughs/Classification of "East London", Is the Clerkenwell/Islington District included in East London? Are they very rough?
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Do I know East London?

Hmmmmm. Does the 'QMUL 3rd year' in my signature not give you a bit of a clue about that?

Attendance of QMUL doesn't equate to a general knowledge of East London.
1am onwards? :dontknow:

So.. any time when a lot of people are drunk after a night out then..

Next 5/6+ years are going to be interesting... :colone:
Reply 77
Oh East London is wonderful, it's full of tits, fanny and West Ham, oh East London is wonderful
Reply 78
If people think east london is grimey they should check out hertfordshire, its like a jungle out here! HOME COUNTIES FINEST BLUP BLUP!!!!!!!!

The DLR doesn't go through Hackney. You are right though it is a craphole but again it's not the East End. The East End is primarily Tower Hamlets, Newham, the Docklands and parts of Waltham Forest. Once you get beyond that you start to get into more suburby places like Redbridge and Barking (not that Barking is nice).

my bad I was thinking of the overground which was part of my route that week. the dlr went through some pretty ****ty parts as well though hence my confusion. yeah but it is predominantly east london and that is what the op asked is it not?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Oh, are you from Walthamstow? We're trying to build a club of people who live or used to live there.

Yup I am

Walthamstow is fine now even it at dodgy times. It's not like how it was 4-5 years ago...I think Leyton/ Haringey / Edmonton are a lot worse tbh.

Ok. :hmmmm2:

Yeah I'm in Leyton woo :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest