The Student Room Group

Fat people who say they can't lose weight..

Scroll to see replies

The majority of fat people aren't fat because of medical conditions although obviously some people are overweight because of health issues. I agree that it's a question of motivation but it can be really hard to find that motivation. I'm verging on underweight and I know I'll put on weight if I JUST eat, but it's really very difficult to force food down my throat when I'm stuffed although it would make me quite happy if I was to put on weight.
Is it safe to lose 2 stone in 3 weeks? I WANT TO LOSE 2 STONE IN 3 WEEKS!! Whats her diet?
Reply 42
Original post by MissLightyear
If youre barely eating then your body has probably gone into starvation mode, which can be just as bad as overeating

I know that which is why i make sure I eat enough for that not to happen but i only eat at lunch which i have been doing for years. You start carb loading when you dont eat so the body stores more coz it doesnt know when its going to get it next so you gain more weight. I know all that which is why im careful about it
Original post by The-Real-One
Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.

fully agree.

im overweight but have lost 19lbs in about a month and a half.

I've exercised loads and i've altered my diet massively.

I've also got arthritis yet I still go on the rowing machine, I still go on the treadmill and I still do weights and I lift heavy things in work every day.

To me, there is no excuse. I put on loads of weight whilst being injured from a sport and obviously I didnt adjust my diet to suit my activity levels whilst injured and instead kept eating to suit my activity levels when I was fit and playing.

I'm working on it as hard as I can and thats during a recovery period from an injury.

Yes im fat now, so what? im doing something about it because I am motivated enough too. I know its not a big issue because I can deal with it.

People who make excuses are only kidding themselves!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by callum9999
Yeah, I was generalising there. There are many people who are ill but they are in a minority.

I agree, although I've managed to refrain from putting on weight so far, sugar is HIGHLY addictive! In my experience that doesn't help though, if they can't be bothered to sort themselves out then being delicate is just going to compound that - and they know full well that they need to eat less and exercise more.

Unlike I few people on here I'm not angry at them, I just pity them. Yes it is hard, but it's definitely possible. If they put in the effort they could easily be at a healthy weight within a year. They may have a "natural disposition" to be lazy but people may have natural dispositions to violence etc. and that's never an excuse, so I don't accept it as one in this case.

I meant delicacy in the sense of not trying to do too much at once. gradually weening. For instance your average obese woman's probably addicted to caffeine, sugar, diet soft drinks & is a couch potato having 3000 cal/day with strong emotional links with eating. if you change all that at the same time.. well that's just a train wreck waiting to happen. I quit my bad 2L+ a day diet coke habbit and ate like a horse for over a week! They need to spend a good amount of time changing how they think about food, when they feel sad/depressed..listen to some music. Think of a diet as a lifestyle. Not sure if this kind of psychological therapy for obese people is available on the NHS but it should be.. doctors have a tendency to choose the quick-fixes over therapy, my mum broke down once at the doctors and they gave her anti-depressants straight off! Nutritionally, also, it's not common knowledge yet that a high protein diet suppresses hunger...avoid sugars that break down quickly to prevent strong cravings..little tips like this can make all the difference to these types of people. I think society owes a responsibility to some of these people, there are plenty of people that really want and are capable of change but just need a little push in the right direction.
Climb off your high horse, wake up to the real world, and grow up. The world is not black and white, some people find it extremely hard to even be an average weight. Just wait until you get a bit older and you stop living in your tiny bubble, judging everyone you can't or won't understand.
Also, losing 2 stone in 3 weeks is not remotely healthy, and she will pretty much definitely put it all back on. People should aim to lose two pounds a week at the most if they want to maintain the weight loss.
Original post by The-Real-One
Are simply not motivated enough and looking for an easy handout from the NHS in the form of a gastric bypass or other bribes from misguided government initiatives. They should be told in no uncertain terms to not keep wasting doctors times.

Now have a look at this woman, a model of conscientiousness and intelligence, from the Daily Mail. She lost 2 stones in 3 weeks, but here and everywhere there are fat lazy people moaning they can't get their arse in gear, put down the fork and lose the blubber. If she can do it, anyone can, being properly motivated.

Let's be nice. Don't let Jesus catch you riding dirty.
Reply 48
Original post by Bosch
1. Gain an addiction
2. Run around with double or triple your wieght on your shoulders
3. Dont forget the cracking skin from where fat folds over
4. Oh, and knees and back that feel like they might break
5. See no weight being lost, even after exercise, because you can't stop eating
6. start feeling ill, sweaty, and out of breath, just from getting out of your chair

After that, come back and tell me it was easy to lose weight

1) Take up smoking, helps you lose weight
2) You run around with 600lb on your back?
3) Man up
4) Man up
5) Eat less then you fool
6) Exercise moe then you fool

Its easy to lose weight if you dont have medical condition, now get up and go for a run tubbs, stop making excuses.
Reply 49

(Thought I'd add a little humour to the "serious" nature of the thread.)
For those of you who don't think there are many or any conditions that can make you fat despite your best efforts then just go on over to www.patient.co.uk www.gpnotebook.com or get yourself a decent medical text book and look under the aetiology of obesity.

Seriously most of the comments I've seen here are typical of uneducated, narrow minded morons and I see most of you are still doing your AS levels so what gives you the right or what experience or knowledge do you have to come to the conclusion that fat people are pathetic, mountains of blubber?
Original post by jjackson18624
I meant delicacy in the sense of not trying to do too much at once. gradually weening. For instance your average obese woman's probably addicted to caffeine, sugar, diet soft drinks & is a couch potato having 3000 cal/day with strong emotional links with eating. if you change all that at the same time.. well that's just a train wreck waiting to happen. I quit my bad 2L+ a day diet coke habbit and ate like a horse for over a week! They need to spend a good amount of time changing how they think about food, when they feel sad/depressed..listen to some music. Think of a diet as a lifestyle. Not sure if this kind of psychological therapy for obese people is available on the NHS but it should be.. doctors have a tendency to choose the quick-fixes over therapy, my mum broke down once at the doctors and they gave her anti-depressants straight off! Nutritionally, also, it's not common knowledge yet that a high protein diet suppresses hunger...avoid sugars that break down quickly to prevent strong cravings..little tips like this can make all the difference to these types of people. I think society owes a responsibility to some of these people, there are plenty of people that really want and are capable of change but just need a little push in the right direction.

Ah yes, sorry, that is the logical way to go about it.
Reply 52
Original post by Swoleman
1) Take up smoking, helps you lose weight
2) You run around with 600lb on your back?
3) Man up
4) Man up
5) Eat less then you fool
6) Exercise moe then you fool

Its easy to lose weight if you dont have medical condition, now get up and go for a run tubbs, stop making excuses.

I'm not actually fat, my weight is absolutely fine, I'm just saying how it is for overweight people

So how much did you weigh before you lost it all so easily? Or are you just guessing that it's easy because you're blessed with a fast metabolism?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Caprisun!
There are medical conditions you insensitive moron.

Statistically less than 1% of obese people are fat because of a medical condition. So when you see a fat person you can be pretty sure it's their own fault. Obviously everyone has a different metabolic rate, but anyone can lose weight if they want to.
I agree somewhat with what you're saying in that some people over-indulge and expect the NHS to pay for their treatments (and their children's obesity problems) however the same should also be said for smoking and alcohol-related illnesses if it is purely down to choice.
Well I have never met a fat person who eats well and exercises.....
Reply 56
Original post by Bosch
I'm not actually fat, my weight is absolutely fine, I'm just saying how it is for overweight people

So how much did you weigh before you lost it all so easily? Or are you just guessing that it's easy because you're blessed with a fast metabolism?

Fast metabolism is aa load of bull**** also. People ssay they eat loads, and that usually means one big meal, another 1 or 2 small meals and a few snacks that add up to less than 2000cals a day.
Same goes for when people say they have a slow metabolism, they say they dont eat much but in reality they underestimate how much they eat, along with snacking on **** loads of chocolate and crisps.

Sure there aresome people with really high metabolisms / slow metabolisms but they a few and far between, lazy people just like to use it as an excuse.

And yes, I did lose weight, was 230lb and im now at 140lb with a six pack, it wasnt hard you just cut the **** from your diet, aka just stop ****ing buying it and then go for a jog while eating less than you did before. Its not ****ing rocket science.
Reply 57
Original post by Warrior King
For those of you who don't think there are many or any conditions that can make you fat despite your best efforts then just go on over to www.patient.co.uk www.gpnotebook.com or get yourself a decent medical text book and look under the aetiology of obesity.

Seriously most of the comments I've seen here are typical of uneducated, narrow minded morons and I see most of you are still doing your AS levels so what gives you the right or what experience or knowledge do you have to come to the conclusion that fat people are pathetic, mountains of blubber?

But people with medical consitions are vastly outnumbered by fatties that dont. They whine about how they cant lose weight yet they sit watching hours of TV eating buckets of ice cream and pizza and blame it on slow metabolism or their ****ty genes.
Reply 58
Fast metabolism is aa load of bull**** also. People ssay they eat loads, and that usually means one big meal, another 1 or 2 small meals and a few snacks that add up to less than 2000cals a day.
Same goes for when people say they have a slow metabolism, they say they dont eat much but in reality they underestimate how much they eat, along with snacking on **** loads of chocolate and crisps.

Sure there aresome people with really high metabolisms / slow metabolisms but they a few and far between, lazy people just like to use it as an excuse.

And yes, I did lose weight, was 230lb and im now at 140lb with a six pack, it wasnt hard you just cut the **** from your diet, aka just stop ****ing buying it and then go for a jog while eating less than you did before. Its not ****ing rocket science.

Fast and slow metabolism do exist, and do affect the ease at which you lose weight, me dear old mum used to be a personal fitness trainer, think she knows a little better than you bro, but by all means keep believing you know it all :wink:

Also...
But people with medical consitions are vastly outnumbered by fatties that dont. They whine about how they cant lose weight yet they sit watching hours of TV eating buckets of ice cream and pizza and blame it on slow metabolism or their ****ty genes.

Again that's morons response. The educated way to look at it is to ask yourself why the patient is lazy, why do they sit front of the tv, why do they eat loads?

Do that as a good clinician should and you may well find there's an underlying cause be it low self-esteem to exercise, poor eating habits, depression preventing them from actually carrying out everyday activities.

Thankfully you're not a clinician.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending