The Student Room Group

No dogs! No straights! And no white students!!

youngsters barred from applying for internships at Whitehall and in the police... because they are white

White middle-class students have been banned from applying for internships with Britain’s biggest police force and in Whitehall.
The temporary jobs, which offer thousands of pounds for work in the summer, are billed as the internships ‘that could change your life’.
They provide students with invaluable work experience at a time of soaring graduate unemployment.
But critics yesterday told of their anger at the decision by the Civil Service and the Metropolitan Police to exclude all but certain ethnic minorities from applying.
They say the schemes cause resentment among staff and are discriminating against white people ‘via the back door’.
The Metropolitan Police, which employs more than 50,000 people, publicly offers only one work experience programme. The 12-week Diversity Internship will pay six interns more than £3,000 to work in a range of departments. While there is no guarantee of a post at the end, it gives students a head start in the battle for police jobs.
But the application form says only students from specific ethnic groups including black African, black Asian or Chinese can apply. Applicants are also quizzed about religious beliefs and sexuality.
The force offers a few other work experience places to students from specific colleges.
The Civil Service also has only one central internship programme marketed as ‘two months that could change your life’ and also specifically for students from ethnic minorities.
The only white candidates eligible to apply for the Fast Stream Summer Diversity Internship are those whose families are from ‘under-represented socio-economic backgrounds’.
Others can get occasional work experience through individual departments.
The scheme, paying about £3,000, is a clear route to the prestigious Civil Service Fast Stream graduate programme.
MPs, campaigners and police are furious that prominent public bodies are discriminating against white, middle-class students by denying them the chance to apply.

Tory MP Dominic Raab last night said: ‘We won’t end discrimination by introducing it via the back door. That is precisely what positive discrimination like this does.’
Nadhim Zahawi, a Tory MP who identifies himself as Kurdish, said: ‘These schemes are degrading. Margaret Thatcher didn’t need positive discrimination to become prime minister.’
One Met inspector said: ‘At a time when people in the Met are being offered voluntary redundancy, the Met funds such schemes. Such incentives can only fan the flames of racial division.’
Emma Boon, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, called the schemes ‘tokenistic’.
The Metropolitan Police said: ‘This scheme assists us to understand the needs of the diverse communities we serve.’
A Cabinet Office spokesman said: ‘We think the Civil Service should represent the people we serve and we make no apology for that. Selection for permanent positions is available to all and is always based on fair and open competition.’

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370567/Middle-class-youngsters-barred-internships-Whitehall-police--white.html#ixzz1HwL7gD3B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
racism at its finest, we must curtail this wretched hate crime
Reply 2
Original post by mangoh
rightly so imo

racist bigot!! knuckle draggers like you need to be an education!
It's political correctness gone mad.
YAWN, OP.
Reply 5
Original post by humanrights
racist bigot!! knuckle draggers like you need to be an
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tomtomtomtom
YAWN, OP.

anti white hate and discrimination is tiring is it?
Reply 7
At least someone is doing something for white working class kids now instead of PhillyPoppa and Tarquinius Poshtwattius......boohoo cry me a river
Reply 8
This is awful.
If it was the other way around there would be a national outcry and riots.
Reply 9
am I missing something here

AFAIK dogs were never allowed to be police

but uh

?
Reply 10
As much as I hate to be seen as sympathizing with the narrow-minded closet bigots who write for the DM, and the (by and large) idiots who read it, something does need to be done to help the disaffected white working class of this country.

But canceling such schemes for ethnic minorities / gays / handicapped etc. isn't tantamount to the former at all. And it would be a big mistake to think that reversing such policies will, themselves, help deprived white communities in the UK.

Original post by Pedrobear
am I missing something here

AFAIK dogs were never allowed to be police

but uh

?

It's PC gone mad. I blame the Muslims - but for them, we'd have dogs as police again.

Original post by mangoh
lol I am :smile:

Doing BTEC food, btec sewing and btec pottery

Mad respect bro - 3 BTECS! I heard pottery is really hard too?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DJkG.1
As much as I hate to be seen as sympathizing with the narrow-minded closet bigots who write for the DM, and the (by and large) idiots who read it, something does need to be done to help the disaffected white working class of this country.

But canceling such schemes for ethnic minorities / gays / handicapped etc. isn't tantamount to the former at all. And it would be a big mistake to think that reversing such policies will, themselves, help deprived white communities in the UK.

It's PC gone mad. I blame the Muslims - but for them, we'd have dogs as police again.

Mad respect bro - 3 BTECS! I heard pottery is really hard too?

Why on earth do you blame the Muslims? What have they got to do with this more than any other group? I do hope you're being sarcastic...
Reply 12
Original post by mangoh
yeah man, you seen my profile, its all there.

Really hard, we are making our first pot under timed conditions next week.

On topic: Discrimination is disgusting, respect, respect, respect

What a sick life you have man, spittin bars, making a friend, bare academic and vocational qualifications and a sound career plan. :cool: You should be the man of TSR now Simcard2007 is banned (may he rest in peace).

Original post by green chica
Why on earth do you blame the Muslims? What have they got to do with this more than any other group? I do hope you're being sarcastic...

It was a joke, sorry! :p:

Anybody who knows my posting history will recognize that instantly, don't worry. Sorry it wasn't so clear to everyone!
Reply 13
I wanted to look into internships in the foreign office, but turns out I'm too white to apply.
Reply 14
Original post by garethDT
I wanted to look into internships in the foreign office, but turns out I'm too white to apply.

Yes, I was just going to mention this. So terrible.
Reply 15
Ditto the foreign office thing. I've got no problem at all with them having 'diversity' placements or whatever the hell they want to call them but I seriously do not understand how they can be allowed to only offer those? Surely that would be legally challengable if someone could be bothered..
Reply 16
I find it utterly disgusting that the government would dehumanise people in this way, reducing them to simply being token representatives of their skin colour, gender, ethnicity, disability or whatever else.
Reply 17
i think they're trying to introduce diversity into the force but it's still not right, why not give everyon an equal fighting chance as opposed to eliminating them over factors that can't be controlled
Reply 18
fundamentally wrong. everyone should be given equal chances.
Reply 19
There has to be a better way of pushing the White Working Class into these careers. I am not a fan of positive action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending