The Student Room Group

What Degree??? (Maths/Chem/Physics/business)

I am studying maths physics chemistry and business for AS atm. I hope to drop business at the end of this year and do a AS in further maths next year. I got 4 A's in my january modules and hope for the same overall at AS.

I have been looking at a few courses such as chemical engineering, actuarial science and accountancy but after doing work experience in each i have been slightly put off all 3.

Am i setting my standards too high looking for an ideal course/job that i am going to love?

Does anyone else have similar interests (science/maths/business) and enjoy the course/job they are doing?

Any ideas on what courses i might find interesting?
Maths opens the most doors.
Reply 2
I would say physics - they cover maths but you can opt to do more at uni, business studies is a very common subject and doesn't get quite the same reaction as doing a physics degree later. You can also do the mphys which is really good.
You will use maths in a physics degree but you'll never understand maths. If you wanted to do research in physics, you'd probably still be better off doing maths. As it sounds like you'll be looking for a generic graduate job after uni with a bent towards finance, maths is an easier sell.
Reply 4
Original post by coconut trader
You will use maths in a physics degree but you'll never understand maths. If you wanted to do research in physics, you'd probably still be better off doing maths. As it sounds like you'll be looking for a generic graduate job after uni with a bent towards finance, maths is an easier sell.

It might be the exception rather than the rule but of the people I know who did maths they're all now teachers but my course mates from physics have gone into Audit and similar things. You do need to understand maths to do physics - you also often need good computer skills which is why it looks good for employers. Fair enough if you disagree though :smile:.
Reply 5
Which subject do you enjoy the most?

Do that.

I assume you don't like business that much as you are dropping it, and all of the other three are decent in terms of career prospects, so what would you be happy spending 3/4 years studying?
Original post by katrionaP
It might be the exception rather than the rule but of the people I know who did maths they're all now teachers but my course mates from physics have gone into Audit and similar things. You do need to understand maths to do physics - you also often need good computer skills which is why it looks good for employers. Fair enough if you disagree though :smile:.
I agree that good computer skills are extremely important.
Reply 7
Original post by 101209123098
I am studying maths physics chemistry and business for AS atm. I hope to drop business at the end of this year and do a AS in further maths next year. I got 4 A's in my january modules and hope for the same overall at AS.

I have been looking at a few courses such as chemical engineering, actuarial science and accountancy but after doing work experience in each i have been slightly put off all 3.

Am i setting my standards too high looking for an ideal course/job that i am going to love?

Does anyone else have similar interests (science/maths/business) and enjoy the course/job they are doing?

Any ideas on what courses i might find interesting?

Your concerns are not perculiar to you-lots of teenagers are in a very similar dilemma.I would strongly advice you to apply for a subject that you enjoy the most. Also, bear in mind that degree level mathematics is quite different from A level maths so consider that too in making your choices.

However, in terms of openess to most careers, maths and physics are quite good. Engineering is good too. Just depends on whether there is a particular subject you like the most or a combination. If you are so inclined, you could go for a joint honours eg-maths and physics, maths and business, etc.

All in all you dont have to decide on your future career presently if you dont yet know what you want to do later in life. Focus on a subject you enjoy and pursue it further at university aiming for a very high degree classification and prizes, etc if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest