The Student Room Group

BBC THREE: Junior Doctors ... Inspirational?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by No Future
And you don't have to have overcome hardships in life to be inspirational.

This definately.

I shadowed an AMAZING consultant on my work experience. She was just fantastic with the patients, with the medical students and F1/F2's and with all her colleagues. She obviously made the patients feel better - kind of the point of her job! - and also made the family feel better. She is an inspiration to me - but she hasn't overcome any hardships. She was fantastic at school, had a good early life, got into medical school first time round etc etc. She is a GOOD doctor, and she's an inspiration.

I don't know that these are particularly inspirational doctors, but they are only just starting out. It does help with deciding whether or not to do medicine, because there are a lot of realities shown that need to be understood before applying.

Also, I think they probably are representational - maybe most of them (as far as we know) came from fairly well off families, but isn't that representational of the medical population?
FFS. All this money chat. Let's be honest, only a fool would say no to a debt free education.
Reply 42
i agree...i cant talk for the whole national population of medics but from what i understand, many of them have come from 'well off' backgrounds, but it doesnt mean that those that aren't have no shot...it just makes it difficult....
Original post by Helenia
The childminder bit is probably true, but I wouldn't be so judgemental about the money thing. Don't forget that the BBC is paying for their nice house, and while some of them have a flash car etc, it doesn't mean that they were rolling in it right through med school. Plenty of med students have a lot of financial difficulties, especially with NHS bursaries.

How do you think a newly-starting F1 can afford a £15k+ car? The bank of mum and dad, is how. Sure, plenty of med students have financial difficulties, but on the whole they are a very affluent group of students. Many have been to private school (check the Sutton Trust reports on this sort of thing), and most would come from backgrounds where both parents would be earning far more than the national average wage. All of the students on this programme are quite clearly "well-off".
Reply 44
Original post by barnisaurusrex
How do you think a newly-starting F1 can afford a £15k+ car? The bank of mum and dad, is how.
Have you heard of finance? :confused:

What ****ing bull **** is this? What a bunch of *****.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Renal

I like star language :smile:
Reply 46
It's entertainment. Anything should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Reply 47
Original post by Harbour Seal
*grab*

Am I right in thinking you are going to Glasgow? Because I can tell you right now - most students at Glasgow are from a middle class background and receive financial support from their parents and have had a generally happy and uninterrupted life. You have this huge 'holier-than-thou' attitude which would definitely get you nowhere. yes getting into and through medical school as a single parent is challenging but there are LOTS of reasons why medical school is challenging -- I'm from a very middle class family in a very middle class area and had a very middle class education but due to certain detours my life took it's a freaking ****ing miracle I'm studying medicine. Would you be able to judge this from talking to me? NO.

And you know what, does it even matter? These people are doing the job that many people on this forum want to do. Some of them are doing that job very well. Regardless of the fact they are middle class with limited other responsibilities this means they have also had to work hard to get where they are. That makes them inspirational to members. Does it matter that they didn't come from a council estate, didn't have a baby, didn't have some serious debilitating illness? No.

So yes, they are representative of medical students. And it's perfectly fine for people to use them as inspiration because they have worked hard to achieve the goal that lots of members here are striving for.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
It's just good old entertainment.
Original post by lekky
Am I right in thinking you are going to Glasgow? Because I can tell you right now - most students at Glasgow are from a middle class background and receive financial support from their parents and have had a generally happy and uninterrupted life. You have this huge 'holier-than-thou' attitude which would definitely get you nowhere. yes getting into and through medical school as a single parent is challenging but there are LOTS of reasons why medical school is challenging -- I'm from a very middle class family in a very middle class area and had a very middle class education but due to certain detours my life took it's a freaking ****ing miracle I'm studying medicine. Would you be able to judge this from talking to me? NO.

And you know what, does it even matter? These people are doing the job that many people on this forum want to do. Some of them are doing that job very well. Regardless of the fact they are middle class with limited other responsibilities this means they have also had to work hard to get where they are. That makes them inspirational to members. Does it matter that they didn't come from a council estate, didn't have a baby, didn't have some serious debilitating illness? No.

So yes, they are representative of medical students. And it's perfectly fine for people to use them as inspiration because they have worked hard to achieve the goal that lots of members here are striving for.

I would rep you if I could :rolleyes:
Reply 50
Original post by Renal

Why could it be bull****? Adam's Mum, Dad and Brother are all Doctors, they must be pretty loaded.
Original post by gradbio
Why could it be bull****? Adam's Mum, Dad and Brother are all Doctors, they must be pretty loaded.

Just because Adam comes from a relatively high earning family, doesn't mean they shower him with money. His is, after all an adult. Many families expect adult children to finance themselves and be independent. Just because your family have an ok income, doesn't mean they pay for everything.

It's not unheard of to get loans/financing to buy a new car. Just go down to a dealer and look at the finance deals.
Reply 52
Woooaaahhhh chill everyone. They seem quite rich, who cares? It's a program about junior doctors, not orphans throwing off their shackles of poverty and depression.
Reply 53
Original post by Joker370
Woooaaahhhh chill everyone. They seem quite rich, who cares? It's a program about junior doctors, not orphans throwing off their shackles of poverty and depression.

exactly.

It seems that for some people,'inspirational' refers exclusively to overcoming financial hurdles. There are lots of other things in life which can inspire people.
A couple? The only one I would say would have had money worries at Uni is John - he was the first boy in his family to go to Uni, and his mum's a nurse and his dad's a salesman. However, Andy went to boarding school, Adam comes from a family of doctors and, from what we've seen of the others and their homes and lives, they were never exactly struggling for cash were they?

I'm not making too many assumptions I think if I deduce that most of them are comfortably middle-class.

you are making assumptions.
You assume that middle class students are better off than working class.
They often aren't.
Reply 55
Just because Adam comes from a relatively high earning family, doesn't mean they shower him with money. His is, after all an adult. Many families expect adult children to finance themselves and be independent. Just because your family have an ok income, doesn't mean they pay for everything.

It's not unheard of to get loans/financing to buy a new car. Just go down to a dealer and look at the finance deals.

Don't get your knickers in a twist love.
A couple? The only one I would say would have had money worries at Uni is John - he was the first boy in his family to go to Uni, and his mum's a nurse and his dad's a salesman. However, Andy went to boarding school, Adam comes from a family of doctors and, from what we've seen of the others and their homes and lives, they were never exactly struggling for cash were they?

I'm not making too many assumptions I think if I deduce that most of them are comfortably middle-class.

Did you not see the size of Jon's house? And also his parents cars? He was not struggling for money
Original post by gradbio
Don't get your knickers in a twist love.

Um, wtf?

I was simply pointing out that having parents who earn a higher than average wage doesn't mean they spend it on the child.
Reply 58
Um, wtf?

I was simply pointing out that having parents who earn a higher than average wage doesn't mean they spend it on the child.

Why so much hate?
Original post by Jamie

You assume that middle class students are better off than working class.
They often aren't.

Where's Gizmo?!

Quick Reply

Latest