The Student Room Group

Which university - Sussex or Bath?

I like the courses on both so it's irrelevant, but in terms of student life, nightlife, area, finance, the students etc which university is better?
Reply 1
I've said this about a bazillion times... but you have to visit both and see which you like. Both are great student areas. And I wouldn't say there's a 'set' type of students for any university (although Sussex is very southern).

I know Brighton has great night life. I'm sure Bath does as well (Bath is just beautiful as well).

So yeah, both very good, but very different places. See which you like better.
Reply 2
Original post by James4d
I've said this about a bazillion times... but you have to visit both and see which you like. Both are great student areas. And I wouldn't say there's a 'set' type of students for any university (although Sussex is very southern).

I know Brighton has great night life. I'm sure Bath does as well (Bath is just beautiful as well).

So yeah, both very good, but very different places. See which you like better.

This sums it up, really. You must go and visit both, lots of people who don't regret it later on! It's worth the money knowing you'll be happy staying somewhere for 3 years that you actually like!

I love Brighton and I love the Sussex's campus, it's one of my favourites, but it's not really walking distance from the town centre (there is a bus). Being South and by the sea may mean accommodation is quite expensive, but you're close to London which is another bonus. There are loads of clubs (especially gay clubs) and lots of shops so there will always be things to do there.

I have been to Bath but not the university, and it's a lovely place with lots of history. I like the little boutiques everywhere but they're quite expensive. It's quite a 'posh' part of the country so the accommodation prices may reflect that too. I think there tends to be more bars then clubs in places like Bath, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it there, it's a pretty place.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice. I have been to visit both universities, both on sunny days and being told by all the tutors and the helpers on the open days that their university is the best and all students love it there. I like both Brighton and Bath as cities but I just want to to know what the student life is like in terms of actually being there, going out there, what the atmosphere is like not on an open day (I'm sure it's completely different) !!!
Reply 4
Also which has a better reputation? They're around the same on league tables but I feel like Bath is slightly more heard of... hmm.
Reply 5
Bath.
Reply 6
Original post by Analbeauty
Thanks for the advice. I have been to visit both universities, both on sunny days and being told by all the tutors and the helpers on the open days that their university is the best and all students love it there. I like both Brighton and Bath as cities but I just want to to know what the student life is like in terms of actually being there, going out there, what the atmosphere is like not on an open day (I'm sure it's completely different) !!!

Well I go to Sussex, and have a friend at Bath, and by comparison I think Brighton has a much bigger clubbing scene (and I'm not gonna lie, if you like clubbing, this place will wear you out).

This is a double-edged sword, cos no one really bothers that much with the student union. There's so much to do in Brighton that Sussex becomes 'that place we study at'. Not really a bad thing. I like how its cut off from Brighton, in its own little world.

Reputation wise.. well, Sussex is ranked 8th best in the UK by Time Higher Education. Though based on prestige and general knowledge of 'what universities are better', I think Bath marginally wins out.

Surely after visiting both places you must be leaning more to one than the other? Either way they're both great places to study.
Reply 7
I'm interested in this too (although I haven't actually got an offer from Bath... still waiting :s-smilie:) I've always loved Bath and wanted to go there but after visiting Sussex (and having to think of going to somewhere else because clearly Bath are going to reject me) I actually really liked it. It's a bit annoying you can't just walk into Brighton, but I suppose you get used to that and most people live in Brighton for their second year.

In terms of reputation, I'd say Bath is a little bit better. Sussex is actually a really highly-rated university and beats Bath in a few departments and league tables, but I think it's a bit more unheard of, that's all.

Also, students-wise, I got the impression that there are a lot more down-to-earth people going to Sussex, really (and SO many girls, which is kind of off-putting!) whereas Bath there seemed to be more of the preppy Jack Wills types (not that there's anything wrong with them) and a little less friendly, to be honest.

If I get an offer from Bath I will probably take it because I love the city itself as the history is great and the scenery is amazing (I am a sucker for old buildings!) and would even love to live there. But if I get rejected which is more likely, then I think I will be very happy going to Sussex :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending