The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
I'm not gay myself, but I don't have a problem with gays. In fact, qutie a few of my friends turned out to be gay/bi (We did go to an all-boys school XO).

I don't think that the problem is encouraging kids. I think that the problem is that when you say that you can't treat gays differently, then you're also saying that's it's normal and that could even be interpreted, in this case by the stupid, radical BNP, as encouraging kids to be gay. I mean, every kid wants to be normal, right?

I think it's how you look at it from your point of view. Anything, in the end, can be spun to look like something else (Otherwise the government would have no use for spin doctors lol)
Original post by badger-man
So you believe the "right thing" is doing what an old and irrelevant book says?

"Old and irrelevant", from a poster with the red flag in his signature?

:biggrin:
Reply 482
Original post by imperial maniac
Right...I come up with a reasonable comparison to make my argument clearer and you say "omg shutup you're just wrong"

-.-

"My friends Dad has webbed toes, I don't have a problem that he has webbed toes, it doesn't effect me, I couldn't care less. But having webbed toes, ISN'T NORMAL."

That is not a reasonable comparison. It doesn't even deserve a response and I'm tired of arguing with small minded fools tbh.

My nan has alzheimer's. Not everyone has yet it is still NORMAL!!!!!
Original post by Invictus_88
It's a sad state of affairs if you feel that having sex with someone (anyone) is necessary to feel natural, to be fully and naturally yourself. Why are you defining people in terms of attraction?

It sounds about as closed-minded and totalitarian as the whackjob U.S. Protestants who suggest that everyone should be married or they are a corruption.

You think sex is un-natural? What on earth is wrong with you?

My point is how un-natural it would be to force yourself to be with someone who you are not attracted to at all.
It's a sad state of affairs if you feel that having sex with someone (anyone) is necessary to feel natural, to be fully and naturally yourself. Why are you defining people in terms of attraction?

It sounds about as closed-minded and totalitarian as the whackjob U.S. Protestants who suggest that everyone should be married or they are a corruption.

Sex is a totally natural and normal part of any romantic relationship.
There is nothing wrong with it, and it is not "dirty" or whatever.
Reply 485
i dont really agree with it...
Original post by WelshBluebird
Bull ****.
Do you have ANY evidence for that stupid claim? No.

Oh ffs :rolleyes:

So single parent families where one of the parents has died is a mistake? What about where one of the parens turns abusive so the relationship ends? And no matter what you think of them, children from families where there isn't a traditional mother and father are fine.

Family is changing. Its no longer "a mother and a father". More than 1 in 4 kids do not grow up in a family like that.

They aren't fine, people turn out fine but having your Father die or watching your own parents hit each other is obviously going to screw with the kids head, it's very upsetting.

Yes families are changing, for the worse.
Over 1500 species of animals engage in homosexual acts.

and BOOM goes the "It's not natural" theory.
They aren't fine, people turn out fine but having your Father die or watching your own parents hit each other is obviously going to screw with the kids head, it's very upsetting.

But that isn't to do with the family simply being different (which is the point I was trying to make).
Original post by Smophy
"My friends Dad has webbed toes, I don't have a problem that he has webbed toes, it doesn't effect me, I couldn't care less. But having webbed toes, ISN'T NORMAL."

That is not a reasonable comparison. It doesn't even deserve a response and I'm tired of arguing with small minded fools tbh.

My nan has alzheimer's. Not everyone has yet it is still NORMAL!!!!!

:facepalm: Conditions relating to old age and genetic defects are not comparable.

You see, to me, it is blindingly obvious what is normal and what is not normal, I don't understand how you can see something like homosexuality as being normal when it so clearly is not normal.

Okay, let's make another comparison, paedophilia, this time it's a genetic defect which results in someone being sexually attracted to children, they can't help their sexuality, it's just how their brain works, like homosexuality it's a genetic defect. Except instead of trying to help paedophiles we lock them up like murderers while homosexuals get treated like kings.

It's damned illogical.
Original post by Hantheman
Over 1500 species of animals engage in homosexual acts.

and BOOM goes the "It's not natural" theory.

So has cannibalism.

and BOOM goes the "it's okay because it's natural" theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism_(zoology)
You see, to me, it is blindingly obvious what is normal and what is not normal, I don't understand how you can see something like homosexuality as being normal when it so clearly is not normal.

Well obviously it isn't so clear. Why do you think it is so clear then?

Okay, let's make another comparison, paedophilia, this time it's a genetic defect which results in someone being sexually attracted to children, they can't help their sexuality, it's just how their brain works, like homosexuality it's a genetic defect. Except instead of trying to help paedophiles we lock them up like murderers while homosexuals get treated like kings.

Wow. There is a huge difference between paedophiles and homosexuals. To even compare to two as the same is just so mental, I am lost for words. The main difference of course, is that having sex with someone of the same sex as you harms no one. Having sex with a child usually does harm that child.
But that isn't to do with the family simply being different (which is the point I was trying to make).

It's exactly to do with the family being different.
It's exactly to do with the family being different.

No it isn't.
Having a family member die, or domestic violence occur is of course difficult for a child to take in, comprehend etc, and could very easily "damage them".
Having a family that is just different will not.

What about wheresay the father dies before the child is born? You can't use the argument of a parents death, so why would that be harmful to the child?

If having a family that was just "different" is so damaging, what about families where the grandparents are not involved, or where the extened family is heavily involved (more than the norm). Etc etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
So has cannibalism.

and BOOM goes the "it's okay because it's natural" theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism_(zoology)

I never claimed because something's natural, therefore it's alright. And cannibalism in certain situations (see rugby team crashed in Andies) deemed necessary.

Furthermore, there's a huge difference between what an animal eats and what it sexually desires. Animals will eat anything put in front of them especially when hungry. Sexual desires are very different.

Wow. There is a huge difference between paedophiles and homosexuals. To even compare to two as the same is just so mental, I am lost for words. The main difference of course, is that having sex with someone of the same sex as you harms no one. Having sex with a child usually does harm that child.

Obviously paedophilia is more damaging than homosexuality.

But if you can't help your sexuality, then why aren't we helping paedophiles to help them deal with it instead of locking them up? Why are we, as a society, so tolerant of one sexuality and then so hateful towards another, if neither group can help what they are.
Reply 496

:lolwut:

Having sex is arguably the most natural thing in the world. How on Earth do you define natural then?
Obviously paedophilia is more damaging than homosexuality.

But if you can't help your sexuality, then why aren't we helping paedophiles to help them deal with it instead of locking them up? Why are we, as a society, so tolerant of one sexuality and then so hateful towards another, if neither group can help what they are.

Well then why the hell compare them?

And actually, we are helping paedophiles. Or trying to anyway.
Being a paedophile is not illegal. If you feel those desires, there is help you can get.

The reason why acting on paedophilic urges is illegal is because it harms the child (sometimes mentally, sometimes physically, sometimes both).
The reason why acting on homosexual urges is ok is because it doesn't harm either person.
Reply 498

I'm not saying that gays should be given a hard time, seems to me that as soon as homosexuality is involved in a thread everyone jumps on the pro-gay bandwagon.

The issue is whether or not homosexuality should be taught to 5 year olds as a viable alternative to heterosexuality, when it clearly isn't.
Why? It seems pretty viable to me.

I know I'm going to get a **** load of neg for this, but I feel sorry for homosexuals because they clearly suffer from some sort of illness/condition, w/e you want to call it. Homosexuality is categorically not normal, it's a mental defect that means their sexuality is mixed up from what it should be. Which is fine, some people are born that way, they can live their lives perfectly happily, I don't have a problem with it. However, this does not and never will make it normal, and I don't think that children should be taught that homosexuality is the normal way society operates. The parents should be the ones to teach children about sexuality and other personal matters, NOT the schools, they've overstepped their mandate.

I have nothing against homosexuals, I'm never going to protest against homosexuals, I accept that they have a mental condition that makes them different to everyone else, in the same way that I have no problem with people with down-syndrome or any other mental defect.

What's normal?

Everyone is different. But surely the fact that there are a lot of homosexual people makes it normal, you've kind of contradicted yourself into saying something completely illogical.

The word here is "illness". An illness is something that affects you negatively, being homosexual does not affect you in a negative way. It is more arguable to say homophobia is a mental illness. It may be a mental condition, just like heterosexuality, but not an illness.
:facepalm: Conditions relating to old age and genetic defects are not comparable.

It's damned illogical.

Paedophillia is damaging and harmful to children, and so is not ok.
Homosexuality harms no one.
That is the difference. If it is natural, and doesn't harm anyone (physically or psychologically), then there's nothing wrong with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending