The Student Room Group

DSA needs assessment on Monday

Scroll to see replies

My assessment went alright too. Difficult since I felt a bit on edge and had the voices going at some points but I took a friend in and the lady was really nice. I spent the time drawing whilst answering questions, which really helped.

They're giving me so much stuff, it's insane :eek: It also made me realise how bad things have been and how ill I am :o:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My assessment went alright too. Difficult since I felt a bit on edge and had the voices going at some points but I took a friend in and the lady was really nice. I spent the time drawing whilst answering questions, which really helped.

They're giving me so much stuff, it's insane :eek: It also made me realise how bad things have been and how ill I am :o:

What stuff are you getting? And is it the kind of stuff you didn't really realise you needed?
Original post by ExTraP
So I am back. The assessment went really well actually apart form I forgot to mention a few things, which mean I have to email them now to mention what I forgot. The assessor told lead of the conversation with a joke or two here and there, so the whole thing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He started off asking me some background information like how did I do at school, how did I get on with others etc. And the rest of the assessment was based on difficulities I experience in my daily life as well as college. What kind of help might be helpful etc. He showed me a few software which he is going to recommand, they are those box standard assesstive software like making the computer talk to you, mind map etc. He has also going to recommand a book scanner which means I could scan in the pages and get the computer to read out the text to me. I think it's gonna be great help coz I get so confused reading. So yeah, for those of you have needs assessments for the future, it's nothing to worry about as they know how to make you talk.

Seriously, a book scanner? That would be the most useful thing for me. I didn't even know they existed. :eek:
Reply 43
yeah a book scanner, I know they exist as I work for my own uni so I know a lot of students have gotten them from their DSA, never use them myself but like I said, it'd make my life a lot easier. No more photocopying and trying to highlights bits on paper. And they are also giving me loads of stuff, not to the extend of chairs and tables... I know a friend of mine got his DSA under dyslexia and he got chairs, tables, bags, and god knows what, that was shhhhhit loads which would be a waste of my space if I were given any, glad I didn't. BUt yeah the stuff they offered are stuff I never knew I could use them in the ways the assessor suggested, so I am actually looking forward on getting my hands on using them and see if it'd make a difference for my studies.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
What stuff are you getting? And is it the kind of stuff you didn't really realise you needed?

Well if I get everything the assessor is recommending for me, it's something like this:

- Mac book Pro with film editing and music software and Microsoft Office :eek2:
- Printer
- Scanner
- Note taker
- Mentor
- Taxi and uni travel (one-day travel card) allowance
- Dictaphone

I think I'm getting a photocopying allowance too. Possibly other stuff I can't quite remember as well :o:

I didn't even realise I needed most of that stuff but when she was explaining why she wanted to give it all to me, I saw that it made a lot of sense :o:
Well if I get everything the assessor is recommending for me, it's something like this:

- Mac book Pro with film editing and music software and Microsoft Office :eek2:
- Printer
- Scanner
- Note taker
- Mentor
- Taxi and uni travel (one-day travel card) allowance
- Dictaphone

I think I'm getting a photocopying allowance too. Possibly other stuff I can't quite remember as well :o:

I didn't even realise I needed most of that stuff but when she was explaining why she wanted to give it all to me, I saw that it made a lot of sense :o:

Awesome...
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Awesome...

I can't quite decide whether it's awesome or embarrassing that I need that much help. I'm trying to go for awesome though :awesome:

I'm just still in shock really. I didn't expect all that. The lady was really lovely. I think she was quite concerned for me: her main thing seemed to be that I should feel safe at all times :o:
Reply 47
So you didn't get a chair, a footrest, a table, a backpack and whatever else? I still can't understand why my mate got all of those... but anyway I don't care.

And why a taxi if I may ask? I mean I wouldn't want it but just being a tiny bit nosy.
(edited 13 years ago)
I can't quite decide whether it's awesome or embarrassing that I need that much help. I'm trying to go for awesome though :awesome:

I'm just still in shock really. I didn't expect all that. The lady was really lovely. I think she was quite concerned for me: her main thing seemed to be that I should feel safe at all times :o:

It's pretty awesome that they gave you all of those things to help you! :biggrin:
Did you have to pay for the assessment?
Original post by ExTraP
So you didn't get a chair, a footrest, a table, a backpack and whatever else? I still can't understand why my mate got all of those... but anyway I don't care.

And why a taxi if I may ask? I mean I wouldn't want it but just being a tiny bit nosy.

I didn't, no. She did ask me about backache etc though, so I suppose it was considered. Maybe that's why your friend got it? :dontknow:

Sometimes going in a taxi is safer for me than public transport. It's not always safe for me to use public transport if the psychosis is quite present or very bad :no:

Original post by diamonddust
It's pretty awesome that they gave you all of those things to help you! :biggrin:
Did you have to pay for the assessment?

No one said anything about paying for the assessment, so I presume no. I think I ticked a box saying I expect SFE to pay or something :biggrin:
Reply 50
SFE will pay for the assessment, it says on my letter. With my mate, he runs faster than me so I can't see why he would need all those, but hey I guess it depends on the assessor, mine one just got back to me saying there are things they are not allowed to recommand when I know the SFE just disc out to everyone who is entitled to DSA, but then I don't really care too much as I am thankful with the things he has recommanded.
Original post by ExTraP
SFE will pay for the assessment, it says on my letter. With my mate, he runs faster than me so I can't see why he would need all those, but hey I guess it depends on the assessor, mine one just got back to me saying there are things they are not allowed to recommand when I know the SFE just disc out to everyone who is entitled to DSA, but then I don't really care too much as I am thankful with the things he has recommanded.

Your source for this ridiculous assertion is?
Reply 52
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Your source for this ridiculous assertion is?

I have been working for my uni for long enough to have seen enough students getting exactly the same items throng their DSA. Obviously I don't know under what grounds they are entitled to DSA but there are items that clearly are not disability related and a healthy student would need them just as much as any of us. Go ask around your classmates who get DSA and see what they tell you if they would tell you anything. If you don't like what I say here you don't have to join the discussion. There is no need to use the word ridiculous. Having a disability is ridiculous.
Having a disability is ridiculous? :lolwut:

Like you say, you don't know people's exact situations. To most people, there's no reason to think I need all the stuff I'm being offered. As I said previously, I was hoping for a printer and a dictaphone.

Since we're having banter anyway, any particular reason why you negged me? :biggrin:
Reply 54
Having a disability is ridiculous? :lolwut:

Like you say, you don't know people's exact situations. To most people, there's no reason to think I need all the stuff I'm being offered. As I said previously, I was hoping for a printer and a dictaphone.

Since we're having banter anyway, any particular reason why you negged me? :biggrin:

I didn't. Not you anyway. :biggrin: I generally don't like the word ridiculous. And yes, I think having a disability is ridiculous, mine is ridiculous for me anyway. I can't comment on yours of course. Who doens't wanna be bouncing about with no issues whatsoever?
Original post by ExTraP
I didn't. Not you anyway. :biggrin: I generally don't like the word ridiculous. And yes, I think having a disability is ridiculous, mine is ridiculous for me anyway. I can't comment on yours of course. Who doens't wanna be bouncing about with no issues whatsoever?

You did according to my sub. Maybe you hit something by mistake. Just wanted to check I hadn't offended you or something :biggrin:

To my mind at least, the word "ridiculous" implies stupid. I certainly would like to bounce about with no issues but I'd hardly say I'm ridiculous or my illness is.

Then again, I tend to prefer the word "unfortunate", which isn't necessarily much better :biggrin:
Reply 56
NO you didn't, I hope I didn't upset you either. This is the problem with writing sometimes, you cant see the other person expressions. It's easily missunderstand.
Ah you didn't, dw :biggrin: I have this problem all the time. It's partly why I use smileys so much :ninja:
Original post by ExTraP
Isn't DSA for study related difficulties? I don't see how counselling relate to it. With my uni for example, anybody could get some counselling just because they feel stressed or their gran just passed away etc. None of these people would be entitled to DSA, does Sussex refuse to offer any help then? This is really unheard of, go you your SU and get them to have a word with the couselling people.

In terms of what am I expecting to get from my DSA, I honestly don't know, what I do know is I still have my 2 penny worth of sane and would probaby turn down some fancy equipment they disc out to everyone; why would I need a computer, a printer, rams of paper, ink etc etc when my normally health classmates need / dont need as much of any of these as I do? The main reason I applied was because I know this way the study support would get the money back for the extra tutorials they give me, they will give me support anyway, but if they can get the money back then even better.

here is a contact for DSA: [email protected]

If you email them with a contact number and ask them to call you back, an assessor will do so. I got hold of a very nice lady and now I have direct access to her which is always handy.

Right off to bed now as appointment is bright and early. Will feedback after that.

How long did it take for you to get a reply from that address? I emailed them 3 weeks ago and they haven't replied yet :frown: I haven't heard from them yet at all. I had my assessment 5 weeks ago and my report was sent a few days later to them so how much longer do I have to wait? :frown:
Reply 59
^ I got a reply the following afternoon and replied to them and then got a reply again with an assessor's direct number the same afternoon. I guess I was lucky. Called the assessor a few time, she's been extremely helpful... we even ended chating about her birthday plan and present she got from her hubby once?? Be fair, that was when their computer system was down, so... Anyway, I can't really give your her number, hope you understand but just call the helpline and ask them to put you through to the DSA team, they will, if they refuse then just tell them you have emailed the DSA team and have had no reply.

Quick Reply

Latest