The Student Room Group

Where to live in London?

Hello everyone,

I'm going to do my MA in London starting this autumn but I'm unsure as to where I might live. I've never lived in London, so I'm eager to hear from those of you who do and know the areas. I'm interested to know what areas are safe/unsafe, have cheaper rent etc. I'm going to work part-time while I study and want to rent a small flat that isn't too far from the city centre. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:
Reply 1
You really need to be more specific. First of all, where will you be studying? Where will you be working? What type of area would you like to live in? Clubbing area, close to nature, suburban or vibrant? Diverse (in terms of ethnic groups/races)?
Reply 2
Above all, what is your budget..?
Hmm...probably between 150 and 200 pounds a week.
Reply 4
I have a double bed.
Original post by GSAA
You really need to be more specific. First of all, where will you be studying? Where will you be working? What type of area would you like to live in? Clubbing area, close to nature, suburban or vibrant? Diverse (in terms of ethnic groups/races)?

I'll be studying at City uni. I'm an English teacher so I'll be continuing with that part-time. I don't really mind what type of area, as long as it's safe and clean. I don't mind the diversity either....well, I've been living in Japan for the last 3 years so it would be nice to live in an area with lots of Japanese in, but I'm not picky. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
This is something I'm interested in, as I'm (hoping) to do a MA in London starting 2012... So I'm just gonna sit here and read replies :smile:
I live in Brixton; it basically has two divisions;
one end is unsafe and the other safe. You will find that the houses are cheaper and there is a lot of students residing in a particular area. There is a very large and useful library with a moderately quiet and an absolute quiet areas upstairs. The library is complete with a reference area. There is a tube station (but only has the victoria line, but the next stop at Stockwell offers the Northern Line), and a rail station plus it has access to dozens of buses taking you to practically all areas of London. There's a Mcdonald's and a KFC opposite each other, an open air market, but also and 'Arcade' market which has a lot of little vintage boutiques and sweet shops, cake shops, restaurants-I suggest you try the Franco Manca which has the best pizza in town and perhaps in London. There's a Nandos and Starbucks as well as a Costa...Oh and what would a town be without a subway? There's also a host of retails such as Topshop, New Look, Morley's department store, body-shop, Clarks etc. There's lots of pubs too. We also have an O2 Academy and a list of nightclubs so the night life is really good. We also have a massive recreation centre, but if you prefer Fitness first then its just a few metres away.

Brixton basically has everything, its a shame that the media over-exaggerates its dangers.

Ps. How could I forget our wonderful Ritzy Picture house complete with an outdoor cafe, wonderful for sunny days where you have a casual chat with some friends.

Edit: I nearly forgot the H&M store as well as JD and Footlocker, a skate-park, and a lovely park, and there's a park nearby called 'Brockwell park' and its literally 2 minutes away from the the 'student residents' (as I call it) area and it has a lido as well as a pond oh and a cafe too lol. We also have a boots, a superdrugs and an argos.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Comeheretellme

I live in Brixton; it basically has two divisions;
one end is unsafe and the other safe. You will find that the houses are cheaper and there is a lot of students residing in a particular area. There is a very large and useful library with a moderately quiet and an absolute quiet areas upstairs. The library is complete with a reference area. There is a tube station (but only has the victoria line, but the next stop at Stockwell offers the Northern Line), and a rail station plus it has access to dozens of buses taking you to practically all areas of London. There's a Mcdonald's and a KFC opposite each other, an open air market, but also and 'Arcade' market which has a lot of little vintage boutiques and sweet shops, cake shops, restaurants-I suggest you try the Franco Manca which has the best pizza in town and perhaps in London. There's a Nandos and Starbucks as well as a Costa...Oh and what would a town be without a subway? There's also a host of retails such as Topshop, New Look, Morley's department store, body-shop, Clarks etc. There's lots of pubs too. We also have an O2 Academy and a list of nightclubs so the night life is really good. We also have a massive recreation centre, but if you prefer Fitness first then its just a few metres away.

Brixton basically has everything, its a shame that the media over-exaggerates its dangers.

Ps. How could I forget our wonderful Ritzy Picture house complete with an outdoor cafe, wonderful for sunny days where you have a casual chat with some friends.

It's great, if you want to get stabbed.

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by .meh.
It's great, if you want to get stabbed.

Tell me, have you been to Brixton? What are your experiences?
Reply 10

Tell me, have you been to Brixton? What are your experiences?

Yes, I have. It was rather clean, some building work, police station, police cars, people being arrested, being patted down for drugs.

Dem man dem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfTJJQnEfUw
(edited 13 years ago)
You could find a decent place in Hackney. It's pretty close to City Uni as well.
I like the Southwest: Putney, Hammersmith, Fulham, Kingston etc. Some areas are more expensive than others, but might be cheaper than in central, and have easy transport links.
Don't live in London - it sucks ass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending