The Student Room Group

What REALLY happened in Trafalgar square

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by L i b
If you're on someone else's land, and you don't leave when you're told to, then you should rightly be hauled off to a police station. There's nothing 'peaceful' about encroaching on someone else's property.

I'm rather sick of protesters believing that, in addition to causing a hell of a racket and practically shutting down our city centres, they are also perfectly entitled to go around performing criminal acts because of their half-baked political beliefs.

agreed! although walking to work in the west end during december with no traffic because of the protests was pretty cool.
Reply 21
Original post by el scampio
Personally i have no issue whatsoever with the 'violence'. We've just gone to war to help some people who made their message heard through violence, so i see it as completely hypocritical for the government to criticize it in any way.

The occupation of shops & department stores was Uncut taking direct action just like Greenpeace used to. It's about time the established media was a true target along with the banks.

The occupation of shops is illegal. The police got rid of these tools.

Original post by garethDT
Senior police offers conspiring to deceive and kidnap 138 innocent peaceful protesters is pretty major news if you ask me.

Yeah this is just like the USSR. You are never going to hear about these protesters again ever.....
You go on a march and start breaking the law.
Expect to get battered.
Don't like it?
Don't go.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by hypocriticaljap
You go on a march and start breaking the law.
Expect to get battered.
Don't like it?
Don't go.

Do you like living in a country where the only voice ordinary people have in how the country is run is to shuffle along nicely and clap Ed Miliband?
Reply 24
It appears the BBC and other media sources have told bare faced lies to the nation with regards to what happened during last saturdays London protests.

Here is an eyewitness account from somebody who was in Trafalgar Square: http://55t.co.uk/55t03/index.php?option=com_mmsblog&view=item&id=37%3Athe-truth-behind-the-battle-of-trafalgar-square-march-26th-2011&Itemid=55

All police are evil liars and murderers supported by a corrupt judiciary, and a mainstream media owned and controlled by about 10 people worldwide.

All media should be boycotted starting with newspapers. Stop paying your TV licence. If you don't give them money - you don't finance their propaganda.

You're a ****ing idiot. :facepalm2: :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Do you like living in a country where the only voice ordinary people have in how the country is run is to shuffle along nicely and clap Ed Miliband?

You can say what you like and protest, rioting isnt using your voice.
Reply 26
Original post by Bosch
You can say what you like and protest, rioting isnt using your voice.

tell that to the Libyans
It appears the BBC and other media sources have told bare faced lies to the nation with regards to what happened during last saturdays London protests.

Here is an eyewitness account from somebody who was in Trafalgar Square: http://55t.co.uk/55t03/index.php?option=com_mmsblog&view=item&id=37%3Athe-truth-behind-the-battle-of-trafalgar-square-march-26th-2011&Itemid=55

All police are evil liars and murderers supported by a corrupt judiciary, and a mainstream media owned and controlled by about 10 people worldwide.

All media should be boycotted starting with newspapers. Stop paying your TV licence. If you don't give them money - you don't finance their propaganda.

Never has this been more apt:

Spoiler

Original post by L i b
If you're on someone else's land, and you don't leave when you're told to, then you should rightly be hauled off to a police station. There's nothing 'peaceful' about encroaching on someone else's property.

I'm rather sick of protesters believing that, in addition to causing a hell of a racket and practically shutting down our city centres, they are also perfectly entitled to go around performing criminal acts because of their half-baked political beliefs.

This
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by adam_zed
"corrupt judiciary"?! Bitch please.

Its funny how we all think that we live in some deprived, oppressive, failing state because once or twice it gets found out that a single policeman was working for criminals, lobbying and because some dickweed got unfairly arrested for kicking a bin? Even if the police were shouting "yo mama" or whatever is deemed to amount to provocation, there were pictures of people smashing businesses and graffiti-ing everywhere as if these middle class teens were reckoning they were going to be the next "freedom fighters"! If you people could spend 5 minutes peeping outside your cosy little rooms, you would realise that in comparison to nearly every other place in the world, things like corruption, repression etc here dont compare to other places.

Many people dont agree with many things in this country but thankfully they have the maturity to either shrug their shoulders and get on with things or actually do something constructive about it. Wearing a black bandanna and spray painting "revolution" on someones property isnt some sort of expression of liberation, it just makes you look like a spoilt little prick. Seriously?! People smash up stuff when they are 13/14 and then grow out of such moronic behaviour? You people are doing it and you are early adults, wtf?! How can you moan about "a police state" when you smash something up and get arrested?

I agree. How on earth is this a police state? Its a simple thing, if you break the law in public in front of police you are going to get arrested. That is just the damn police doing their job!

I agree that some tactics are a little unorthodox, and may not help the situation. But they are trying to stop the kind of yobs that go to any political rally just to be violent with the relative saftey of numbers.

Alot of people have a very distorted view of the police. Yes, some people join for the wrong reasons and do stupid things every now and again but the majority are good honest people. If they wern't there things would be a lot worse. Plus their job is pretty tough, chances are you will get sued by someone who tried to kill you.
Reply 29
tell that to the Libyans

Yeah, thats a totally fair comparison! An armed revolt against a murderous dictator compared to a democratic protest about a policy to do with government cuts... hmmm
Reply 30
Original post by Hanvyj
Yeah, thats a totally fair comparison! An armed revolt against a murderous dictator compared to a democratic protest about a policy to do with government cuts... hmmm

So what you're saying is we are so fair and democratic that we don't have the right to protest?

I hate this notion of Englishness, the enthusiastic acceptance of one's servitude, those who think everything's rosy cos they can watch x factor and go binge drinking are going to get a wake up call in the next couple of years.
Reply 31
So what you're saying is we are so fair and democratic that we don't have the right to protest?

I hate this notion of Englishness, the enthusiastic acceptance of one's servitude, those who think everything's rosy cos they can watch x factor and go binge drinking are going to get a wake up call in the next couple of years.

When did I say that???

I was refering to the use of violence. Protest =/= violence. I support the protest, and If there was one in manchester and I wasn't at work, I would join it.

For your information I dont watch x factor (what is your obsession with this?) and I dont drink, and fully support the protests against government cuts.
Reply 32
The police did everyone a favour, in fact they should have done more in terms of intervention.
All the info in the OP and in the link is nonsense and it's baseless.

The OP is obviously an idiot an he/she is obviously one of the anarchist idiots who thinks all the damage done was a good thing.
Reply 33
tell that to the Libyans

Decades under a murdering tyranical dictator > Funding cuts

Stop comparing this to the Libyans, they are a LOT worse off than the protesters in England
Comparing yourself to them, is actually really insulting to thier cause
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Hanvyj
When did I say that???

I was refering to the use of violence. Protest =/= violence. I support the protest, and If there was one in manchester and I wasn't at work, I would join it.

For your information I dont watch x factor (what is your obsession with this?) and I dont drink, and fully support the protests against government cuts.

I wasn't commenting on your own viewing and drinking habits, just the overall culture of apathy in this country.

Sooner or later people are going to realise that protests are futile, they will look to other means to making themselves heard, violent or otherwise.
All police are evil liars and murderers supported by a corrupt judiciary

All? No.
A sizable minority? Yes.

People who think all coppers are evil are no better than those who think all coppers are angels.
And vice versa, people who think all coppers are angels are quite naive too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
I wasn't commenting on your own viewing and drinking habits, just the overall culture of apathy in this country.

Sooner or later people are going to realise that protests are futile, they will look to other means to making themselves heard, violent or otherwise.

Other means - smashing shop windows is going to be more effective than a mass-peaceful protest? It just gives everyone who doesn't support the protest a reason to ignore it, labeling it a bunch of violent yobs who don't really care about the cause but want to smash shop windows. This is pretty much what happened in the student protests. The media jumped at the chance to show the relativley few students who were being violent and let everyone make up their minds about the rest.

Its counter-productive.
Reply 37
Original post by WelshBluebird
All? No.
A sizable majority? Yes.

People who think all coppers are evil are no better than those who think all coppers are angels.
And vice versa, people who think all coppers are angels are quite naive too.

What the OP said was a gross generalisation, what you said just then isn't as bad but it's still a generalisation.
To even say a sizable majority is generalising and it's wrong unless you can prove more than 50% of the countries police officers have done bad things and are "evil liars and murderers supported by a corrupt judiciary."

Since you can't, that statement is a fallacy.
Personally, I do agree that the media do not bring forward the correct picture of anything nowerdays.

But by god how badly is that blog written?
I got pissed off after the first sentence.... it's all over the ****ing place, as if a 5 year old wrote it.
Original post by Le_Bow
What the OP said was a gross generalisation, what you said just then isn't as bad but it's still a generalisation.
To even say a sizable majority is generalising and it's wrong unless you can prove more than 50% of the countries police officers have done bad things and are "evil liars and murderers supported by a corrupt judiciary."

Since you can't, that statement is a fallacy.

Oops. I meant to put minority :redface:

Personally, I have lost confidence in the police in general. While I agree that it is only a minority who are bad apples, it often seems like the rest don't mind covering those up.
My opinions are probably brought about by how football fans are often treated by coppers (and by the establishment) tbh.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending