The Student Room Group

On the Graduate Scrapheap - 23 with a 1:1

I would like to know if anyone has a similar experience to me or can offer any pearls of wisdom.

I graduated last year with a 1:1 in an engineering degree and am currently studying a MSc at a well regarded university. With my MSc due to finish in Sept this year I decided several months ago to start applying for graduate schemes (both engineering and non) and also normal (non-grad) jobs that suit my degree.

However 6 months and around 40 applications later, I have made one assessment centre and had around 39 rejections. I have been searching for the answers to why this has happened and now it appears that companies only care about A levels!

I thought that recruiters would clambering to interview me because of my past.

MY ACADEMIC+WORK RECORD

- Studying MSc at World Renowned University
- First Class Honours Degree - Engineering
-7 Years working part time for a multinational IT Retailer (Technical, Customer Service and Sales Experience)
-Started and ran my own E-Commerce site for 2 years

I have worked nearly 20hrs per week since I was 16 whilst studying at University and I thought that these attributes would propel me into great job.

However it appears that I am being punished for my academic record from 5 years ago. My A-Level results were C,D,E in IT,Maths and Physics. Admittedly these are very poor however I did not work hard enough and realised when starting my degree that I needed to improve.

When applying for graduate schemes, most required a numerical test of which I always past. I have considered retaking my A-Levels however it seems that organisations do not accept A Level retakes.

Most companies ask for at least 280 UCAS point however I have under 200 and am being punished for my record 5 years ago. My MSc is also irrelevant due to my college results.

Having just found out that a friend of mine who obtained a 2:1 at similar ranked University but obtained 360 UCAS points has just been offered an Investment Banking position with a part time MBA degree it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth (considering that he has never has a long term job)

So...at 23 with what I thought was a very good CV 6 months ago, has now meant that I cannot find employment and no grad-schemes will even listen to me.

Anyone thinking of going to Uni without 3 A/B A-Levels DO NOT BOTHER AND WASTE THE TIME AND MONEY -

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Grad schemes do tend to focus on school results a little too much. I would suggest focusing on direct application positions at an entry level. Not as well paid and with less training opportunities but they give you a better chance to show your experience and subsequent academic achievement. They tend to go through to direct interviews rather than being sifted by random HR grads.

Alternatively, speak to your careers service at uni about which grad schemes are entirely competence based. I don't know much about engineering, but the likes of the Civil Service fast stream are based purely on passing each stage of the competency test (it does require you to have a 2:2 degree, but after that it's purely down to passing each stage - A Level results not counted). Find out if there are engineering grad schemes that operate similarly.
Leave the Uk and go smewhere where they won't use A-levels as a filter. Have you even considered applying abroad? Also look at smaller companies.

Continuing in academia is also an option - if you get a PhD A-level results will become even more irrelevant.
Reply 3
Could I ask which universities out of interest? I've heard the purpose of the UCAS points filter is to cutoff lower universities. You have lots of work experience which counts for something, but none of it is related to an engineering field. I think that's your main problem, alongside the fact that competition is really stiff these days and a first, or 2.1 is really, only one part of the picture.

For example there's a guy on my course who plays for our first XI football team, plays for our faculty of engineering's rugby team, is on two major scholarships, has had an internship with a well respected company every year, is on a first, speaks another language fluently and will be doing a year abroad. He's pretty exceptional, but not massively out of the ordinary - and that's what you're competing with.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ilios_Lampros
Leave the Uk and go smewhere where they won't use A-levels as a filter. Have you even considered applying abroad? Also look at smaller companies.

Continuing in academia is also an option - if you get a PhD A-level results will become even more irrelevant.

Yes I would love work abroad, have applied for jobs in Europe and would prefer to go further afield however work permits etc seem to make it difficult. If you have any suggestions it would be great.

Not sure if I could do a PHD...3 more years is to much!
Reply 5
Original post by Peel
Could I ask which universities out of interest? I've heard the purpose of the UCAS points filter is to cutoff lower universities. You have lots of work experience which counts for something, but none of it is related to an engineering field. I think that's your main problem, alongside the fact that competition is really stiff these days and a first, or 2.1 is really, only one part of the picture.

For example there's a guy on my course who plays for our first XI football team, plays for our faculty of engineering's rugby team, is on two major scholarships, has had an internship with a well respected company every year, is on a first, speaks another language fluently and will be doing a year abroad. He's pretty exceptional, but not massively out of the ordinary - and that's what you're competing with.

Well my undergraduate degree was from Kingston University (which I accept is an average uni), however my MSc is at Cranfield (very highly regarded)

tbh I am not looking solely for engineering jobs, I would actually prefer something non engineering. I thought that working for as long as I have at my age, even though it is not specific to the jobs that I am applying for would count for something.

The amount of people I chat too that have graduated and have only worked a few summer jobs is unreal.
Maybe if you're putting "1:1" on your CV, employers are ignoring you because it makes you look like an idiot? There's no such thing as a 1:1.
engineering has very high levels of graduate unemployment right now. You might have to take a survival job for the immediate future. It's not ideal, but things will get better.
Reply 8
Original post by slowhand87

I graduated last year with a 1:1 in an engineering degree

No you didn't, no such thing, i do hope this isn't on your CV's and such.

and am currently studying a MSc at a well regarded university. WMy A-Level results were C,D,E in IT,Maths and Physics.

And you go into a 'well regarded university'with these grades, how?

Anyone thinking of going to Uni without 3 A/B A-Levels DO NOT BOTHER AND WASTE THE TIME AND MONEY -

Thats just silly, your grades were WELL below getting say, CCC, which your saying you shouldnt bother with. Your mistake , not everyone else's.
Reply 9
What engineering degree have you done exactly?
A friend of mind did a BSci at Royal Holloway (I sadly can't remember which subject), and although he's home for the foreseeable future now, he used to work in Bahrain, getting WAY more than he would have earned in the UK. 24 and with close to 50k saved in the bank? Work going abroad if you ask me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Well, that sucks.

You think that your academics and work record are as good as they can be - fair enough. At least one employer invited you to assessment.

Is it remotely possible that one of the following two situations apply?

1. There is something fundamentally mistaken about your approach to applications.

2. In applications/interview, you put yourself across as a complete muppet/a-hole.
Reply 12
Original post by StefanieLouise
A friend of mind did a BSci at Royal Holloway (I sadly can't remember which subject), and although he's home for the foreseeable future now, he used to work in Bahrain, getting WAY more than he would have earned in the UK. 24 and with close to 50k saved in the bank? Work going abroad if you ask me.

The graduate market would really have to be dire for me to consider going somewhere with an incipient Civil War.
Reply 13
Original post by Tommyjw
No you didn't, no such thing, i do hope this isn't on your CV's and such.

And you go into a 'well regarded university'with these grades, how?

Thats just silly, your grades were WELL below getting say, CCC, which your saying you shouldnt bother with. Your mistake , not everyone else's.

1. I didnt realise that 1:1 doesnt exist
2. I got into the well regarded university because of my First, My undergraduate degree was at a lesser university as I stated in my first post
3. Explain to me then, how degree results have no bearing on job applications and the only academic results that grad-employers accept are good a-level results.
Original post by Clip
The graduate market would really have to be dire for me to consider going somewhere with an incipient Civil War.

I know, hence why his company has brought him home again. I was merely reiterating what someone had said about looking abroad.
Reply 15
Original post by Foo.mp3
Similar experience myself, only thing in my favour is that I had extenuating circumstances re: A-level results, trouble is they were health ones and the health probs continued into my uni years, hence I'm still an undergrad at 26! :rolleyes:

Most internship schemes have turned their nose up at me because of this and/or associated shoddy A-level results too - in spite of the fact that I **** on the competition in terms of raw attributes/worldlyness and have a couple of academic achievement awards under me belt @ uni - sucks to be us eh?

I actually think that we would make better employees. It shows a level of determination that academic ability cannot demonstrate. Good luck to you
Reply 16
Original post by Clip
Well, that sucks.

You think that your academics and work record are as good as they can be - fair enough. At least one employer invited you to assessment.

Is it remotely possible that one of the following two situations apply?

1. There is something fundamentally mistaken about your approach to applications.

2. In applications/interview, you put yourself across as a complete muppet/a-hole.

May i suggest you read my post you 'muppet'

I have only been invited to one interview, mainly due to my A-Level results.
Reply 17
I'm sure if you invest £14.60 per A Level exam now (87.60 per A Level + £60 for books = £137.60 per A Level), you'll be able to get an A*/A/B easily in subjects like Maths, F Maths and Physics as you've graduated from engineering.

Also:

http://www.graduate-jobs.com/recruitment/graduate_jobs_in_Engineering/

...and on my old computer, I had a website saved that had loads of graduate oppertunities where the interview criteria was only based on uni performance. Will try looking for it on google and will post link if I find it.
Could you state which Universities you did go to for both Undergraduate and Post?

Apologies if you have already stated which ones, I haven't read the entire post.
Reply 19
Original post by Chrisl12345
Could you state which Universities you did go to for both Undergraduate and Post?

Apologies if you have already stated which ones, I haven't read the entire post.

Undergraduate - Kingston University
Post Graduate (current) - Cranfield University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending