The Student Room Group

On the Graduate Scrapheap - 23 with a 1:1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chaz1992
I'm sure if you invest £14.60 per A Level exam now (87.60 per A Level + £60 for books = £137.60 per A Level), you'll be able to get an A*/A/B easily in subjects like Maths, F Maths and Physics as you've graduated from engineering.

Also:

http://www.graduate-jobs.com/recruitment/graduate_jobs_in_Engineering/

...and on my old computer, I had a website saved that had loads of graduate oppertunities where the interview criteria was only based on uni performance. Will try looking for it on google and will post link if I find it.

Appreciate that Chaz. I have seriously thought about retaking the A Levels, however many of the grad-schemes I have approached only accept a levels when they were first taken and ask for exam dates. However it might be worthwhile taking yes.
Reply 21
Original post by slowhand87
I would like to know if anyone has a similar experience to me or can offer any pearls of wisdom.

I graduated last year with a 1:1 in an engineering degree and am currently studying a MSc at a well regarded university. With my MSc due to finish in Sept this year I decided several months ago to start applying for graduate schemes (both engineering and non) and also normal (non-grad) jobs that suit my degree.

However 6 months and around 40 applications later, I have made one assessment centre and had around 39 rejections. I have been searching for the answers to why this has happened and now it appears that companies only care about A levels!

I thought that recruiters would clambering to interview me because of my past.

MY ACADEMIC+WORK RECORD

- Studying MSc at World Renowned University
- First Class Honours Degree - Engineering
-7 Years working part time for a multinational IT Retailer (Technical, Customer Service and Sales Experience)
-Started and ran my own E-Commerce site for 2 years

I have worked nearly 20hrs per week since I was 16 whilst studying at University and I thought that these attributes would propel me into great job.

However it appears that I am being punished for my academic record from 5 years ago. My A-Level results were C,D,E in IT,Maths and Physics. Admittedly these are very poor however I did not work hard enough and realised when starting my degree that I needed to improve.

When applying for graduate schemes, most required a numerical test of which I always past. I have considered retaking my A-Levels however it seems that organisations do not accept A Level retakes.

Most companies ask for at least 280 UCAS point however I have under 200 and am being punished for my record 5 years ago. My MSc is also irrelevant due to my college results.

Having just found out that a friend of mine who obtained a 2:1 at similar ranked University but obtained 360 UCAS points has just been offered an Investment Banking position with a part time MBA degree it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth (considering that he has never has a long term job)

So...at 23 with what I thought was a very good CV 6 months ago, has now meant that I cannot find employment and no grad-schemes will even listen to me.

Anyone thinking of going to Uni without 3 A/B A-Levels DO NOT BOTHER AND WASTE THE TIME AND MONEY -

Those are truly appealing grades, but surely if you went to a good university you would have been fine. But I doubt you did with grades that bad...
Undergraduate - Kingston University
Post Graduate (current) - Cranfield University

Is Cranfield really 'World renowned' ? I have never heard of the place..but that doesn't mean much!
Reply 23
Appreciate that Chaz. I have seriously thought about retaking the A Levels, however many of the grad-schemes I have approached only accept a levels when they were first taken and ask for exam dates. However it might be worthwhile taking yes.

Say you're retaking as you like the sight of an A* :biggrin:

Congrats on the first though.

I think this is the website, they seem to have changed it a bit since I last visited but have the same companies. You might want t doan internship at a company and ee where it goes from there:

http://www.gradcracker.com/
(edited 13 years ago)
1:1 :facepalm:
Reply 25
Original post by ben788
Those are truly appealing grades, but surely if you went to a good university you would have been fine. But I doubt you did with grades that bad...

I did a foundation degree first and then a topup year to a full honours degree. Yes i no they are appalling, but you cant change whats happened.
Reply 26
May i suggest you read my post you 'muppet'

I have only been invited to one interview, mainly due to my A-Level results.

I actually think that we would make better employees. It shows a level of determination that academic ability cannot demonstrate.

Case in point. Do you see? With only a couple of statements, you are not looking for appraisal, QED.

I've read your post - all you seem to have read is what you want to.

I don't know you, and for all I know, you're a cracking bloke. But the way you have put yourself across in just this thread has given the effect that you are ignorant, sloppy and have a misplaced sense of entitlement.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.
Reply 27
Original post by Chrisl12345
Is Cranfield really 'World renowned' ? I have never heard of the place..but that doesn't mean much!

Its a purely postgraduate university, thats probably why you haven't heard about it. Research it and you will realise how well regarded it is.
You need a change of strategy. After ~2 years of experience you are no longer considered a new graduate. In other words, the 1st and A-level results don't matter. Concentrate on getting good experience (which can be found at smaller firms) even if it means putting up with **** for 2 years... In the meantime, focus on personal and professional development - learn a language, do some professional qualifications, work abroad...

And just for the record, Cranfield is not a world-class university by any stretch of the imagination... you would have been better off going to any one of the Russell Group unis.
I'm not sure if it applies to whatever job you're applying to but for accounting there is a cut-off point where on the application form if you don't get over the UCAS points stated then your application goes straight into the bin....really harsh I know cause I know someone who slipped up on A-levels but ever so clever and also got a first in his accounting degree and the same happened.

Personally I agree that applications for jobs should be considered on a individual basis and that over the 3-4 years between the time you did your degree and A-levels, so much can change. However, I also agree to a certain extent that some "boundaries" needs to be in place to stop the "weaker" candidates as otherwise it will become unproductive with the amount of applications the recruitment people needs to go through, but the situation right now is kinda too extreme for my liking.

The current economic climate is too fierce right now for anything....

Good luck for the future.
Its a purely postgraduate university, thats probably why you haven't heard about it. Research it and you will realise how well regarded it is.

In terms of being well regarded though with Oxbridge/Harvard and the likes at the top..Where does it come
Reply 31
Original post by Clip
Case in point. Do you see? With only a couple of statements, you are not looking for appraisal, QED.

I've read your post - all you seem to have read is what you want to.

I don't know you, and for all I know, you're a cracking bloke. But the way you have put yourself across in just this thread has given the effect that you are ignorant, sloppy and have a misplaced sense of entitlement.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Sorry but my experience of having worked and studied with many different people, is that the less academic people out there (I would put myself in that bracket) who have had to study harder and work to fund there education would in most cases make better employees.

I have no sense of entitlement, Im not asking for a huge salary with a big firm, Im just making the point that it seems slightly unfair that recruiters do not want to even interview candidates just on the basis of looking at grades from 6 years ago.
Reply 32
Well my undergraduate degree was from Kingston University (which I accept is an average uni), however my MSc is at Cranfield (very highly regarded)

tbh I am not looking solely for engineering jobs, I would actually prefer something non engineering. I thought that working for as long as I have at my age, even though it is not specific to the jobs that I am applying for would count for something.

The amount of people I chat too that have graduated and have only worked a few summer jobs is unreal.

Yep I'm familiar with Cranfield :smile: Sorry to hear that, I would have thought it would have counted for something too, but competition is really stiff these days with a lot of companies cutting so don't feel too bad.

It is a solely postgraduate institution, "apparently" well regarded for Engineering.
Reply 34
In terms of being well regarded though with Oxbridge/Harvard and the likes at the top..Where does it come

There are no offical league tables for non undergrad unis, however the links with industry are world renowned.

the business school is:

the best in the UK as ranked by the Wall Street Journal
15th best in the World by the Economist
5th in Europe as ranked by Forbes
Reply 35
Original post by IAmCroissant
You need a change of strategy. After ~2 years of experience you are no longer considered a new graduate. In other words, the 1st and A-level results don't matter. Concentrate on getting good experience (which can be found at smaller firms) even if it means putting up with **** for 2 years... In the meantime, focus on personal and professional development - learn a language, do some professional qualifications, work abroad...

And just for the record, Cranfield is not a world-class university by any stretch of the imagination... you would have been better off going to any one of the Russell Group unis.

Cranfield is actually a very good postgrad uni for engineering.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Peel
Cranfield is actually a very good postgrad uni for engineering. Which university did you go to?

Kingston Uni (less good!)
i got good A levels and I'm being rejected from everything >_< so i only hope a degree will make the difference for me.
I would like to know if anyone has a similar experience to me or can offer any pearls of wisdom.

I graduated last year with a 1:1 in an engineering degree and am currently studying a MSc at a well regarded university. With my MSc due to finish in Sept this year I decided several months ago to start applying for graduate schemes (both engineering and non) and also normal (non-grad) jobs that suit my degree.

However 6 months and around 40 applications later, I have made one assessment centre and had around 39 rejections. I have been searching for the answers to why this has happened and now it appears that companies only care about A levels!

I thought that recruiters would clambering to interview me because of my past.

MY ACADEMIC+WORK RECORD

- Studying MSc at World Renowned University
- First Class Honours Degree - Engineering
-7 Years working part time for a multinational IT Retailer (Technical, Customer Service and Sales Experience)
-Started and ran my own E-Commerce site for 2 years

I have worked nearly 20hrs per week since I was 16 whilst studying at University and I thought that these attributes would propel me into great job.

However it appears that I am being punished for my academic record from 5 years ago. My A-Level results were C,D,E in IT,Maths and Physics. Admittedly these are very poor however I did not work hard enough and realised when starting my degree that I needed to improve.

When applying for graduate schemes, most required a numerical test of which I always past. I have considered retaking my A-Levels however it seems that organisations do not accept A Level retakes.

Most companies ask for at least 280 UCAS point however I have under 200 and am being punished for my record 5 years ago. My MSc is also irrelevant due to my college results.

Having just found out that a friend of mine who obtained a 2:1 at similar ranked University but obtained 360 UCAS points has just been offered an Investment Banking position with a part time MBA degree it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth (considering that he has never has a long term job)

So...at 23 with what I thought was a very good CV 6 months ago, has now meant that I cannot find employment and no grad-schemes will even listen to me.

It sounds like you're making excuses for application shortcomings. If you have good GCSE/equiv. grades, a 1st class honours degree in engineering from a top university, and the work experience you've mentioned, then you should find a job in time.

Maybe get somebody to read your application forms with you, ask the employers for feedback if they have time to see where you're going wrong, and submit your CV/covering letters to the TSR forums to get a true outside opinion from a group of people experienced in this area.

A number of key things spring to mind though:

* An MSc isn't a "get out of jail free key" to make up for a previous poor grade. Besides, many students undertake undergraduate masters programmes nowadays.

* There's no such thing as a 1:1; it's just a 1st.

* If your retail work experience was simply a shop assistant, maybe you're trying to sell it too much with the multinational side of things, as well as the Technical mentions. Unless you were collaborating with staff overseas on whether to fit particular components into embedded systems, employers don't want people going over-the-top.

* How well did/does this e-commerce do? If you're still doing it, why do you need a job? If you stopped it, why?

* 20 hours a week is good, but it doesn't say much for time management if it meant you got CDE in your A-Levels. You need to sell the skills you've developed through this work. Employers are increasingly looking for key skills like communication, team work, improving own learning performance, IT, and leadership. Every other kid is getting a degree these days, so selling your experience without going over the top is key.

* Maybe try avoiding graduate schemes, as they're infamous for having UCAS points requirements. You can apply directly to companies with a covering letter, and think of companies who offer regular jobs not strictly designed for graduates but which would be suitable for graduates. If you really want to apply for graduate jobs, you could always use say key skills qualifications to boost your UCAS points tally.

* Forget about your friend getting a job and the whole being bitter thing. You'll only get annoyed and underperform if you keep comparing yourself to others.

* Stop being so pessimistic! 40 jobs sounds like a lot, but there are obviously a lot more jobs out there, and you can always avoid grad schemes, as they're barely anything special.

slowhand87

Anyone thinking of going to Uni without 3 A/B A-Levels DO NOT BOTHER AND WASTE THE TIME AND MONEY -

Well, I got BCC in my A-Levels and have managed to secure 2 graduate jobs, for example. Just because you're not having much luck, doesn't mean others aren't.
There are no offical league tables for non undergrad unis, however the links with industry are world renowned.

the business school is:

the best in the UK as ranked by the Wall Street Journal
15th best in the World by the Economist
5th in Europe as ranked by Forbes

Seriously..?

Could you find a link to clarify this for me? I would appreciate it..I've looked at postgraduate business schools and the name hasn't popped up

I've found the economists rating..none of the others though
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending