The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atomos
I don't plan on saying why...they don't really need to know why.

And not necessarily speaking, someone might have left school with no idea what to do with their life, spent a year thinking about it and chose medicine, they may have not applied before

You're right ... What matters to them is not why you had to take a gap year, but what you chose to do with it and how it helped you mature and become a better doctor :biggrin: Or at least so I think :colondollar:
Original post by tiggix
Quick question for those who have reapplied/are more clued up than me;
Did you refer to WHY you were taking a gap year in your PS? i.e, that you'd been unsuccessful the first time round? If so, what did you say?
Or is this info unnecessary as unis can probably work it out by seeing when you took your A-Levels on your UCAS form?

I didn't mention why. Although, when universities look at your UCAS form it'll be evident you either chose to take a gap year or took one because you didn't get in the first time around. Actually, in my PS I didn't even specifically mention I was on a gap year. Instead, I just added little bits in saying what I'd be doing over the next year, or what I'm going to continue to do.
Reply 222
Thanks for the replies and advice!
Reply 223
Original post by tiggix

Original post by tiggix
Yep, sadly.
I briefly considered going in through UCAS Extra for something like biomed or biochem, but it's just not what I want to do. I think I'd be selling myself short not to give medicine at least one more shot.
You?

Yeah...I thought exactly the same thing. I just hope it works out.
What kind of things do you think you'll do on your gap year?
Reply 224
I reapplied this year, having got 4 rejections the previous year for medicine. Taking a gap year was the best decision I made tbh, thankfully i was able to go abroad and volunteer in south africa for three months in an orphanage - which was all paid for by the organization that runs it (Platform2), thats the biggest thing I did really in terms of improving my application, but you should really look to get more hopsital/gp work experience if you dont already. Another thing is applying sensibly which i didnt do at all the first time around, and the UKCAT really does matter a lot - so make sure you revise properly for that.

Right now im working to save up a whole loada cash before uni, and i cant wait to start :biggrin:
Reply 225
Original post by AA_3d

Original post by AA_3d
I reapplied this year, having got 4 rejections the previous year for medicine. Taking a gap year was the best decision I made tbh, thankfully i was able to go abroad and volunteer in south africa for three months in an orphanage - which was all paid for by the organization that runs it (Platform2), thats the biggest thing I did really in terms of improving my application, but you should really look to get more hopsital/gp work experience if you dont already. Another thing is applying sensibly which i didnt do at all the first time around, and the UKCAT really does matter a lot - so make sure you revise properly for that.

Right now im working to save up a whole loada cash before uni, and i cant wait to start :biggrin:

did you go abroad before/after your interviews?
Reply 226
Original post by Artaa
did you go abroad before/after your interviews?

I went from october till december, i emailed all the unis i applied to before i left to let them know that i wouldnt be available during that time for interviews, but my ucas number changed after i left so that email was pretty much made invalid, the only uni that called me to interview during that time was sheffield anyway, but it was alright coz i got my mum to reschedule it whilst i was away.
Reply 227
Original post by twelve
This post should become the reapp mantra :biggrin:

Original post by fruitfan
I second that !

Cheers guys! I felt like making a tongue-firmly-planted-on-cheek post with actual ideas for people.

Depressingly it took me best part of an hour to try and come up with ideas/wit...
Reply 228
Hmm, I've been putting this off for a while but I just can't seem to decline my offer for biomedical science!

My heart is always going to be in medicine but it feels weird to make the decision to pull myself out of education!

Hmm, the security of university but going a course I won't enjoy... or taking a gap year and reapplying for a subject I will love but having the insecurity of time out... Argh I don't know :frown: :confused:
I just want to ask to all the people that reapplied:
I'm doing some A2 module resits now in June because I didn't do very well in the January modules :frown: Well, I did okay, but I need a higher grade to secure my A's or even an A*.

So, when you apply with your actual grades, will universities ask whether you did any A2 module resits? Will it matter, considering you've already got the grades? P.S. I'm not applying to UCL/Cambridge
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Malta would be naiiiice :sexface:
Though expensive :unsure:

I don't know anything about Imperial I'm afraid.. I avoided BMAT uni's like the plague :colone:
Yeah.. feedback isn't always helpful :erm:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Ahh reasons..
HYMS: no feedback, but assuming they didn't like my PS
Keele: Numbers.. 2700 applicants for 480 interviews :rolleyes:
Sheffield: Only uni to ever give decent feedback imo, they thought I did well with academics, and liked my PS, but they felt other people had written better ones. Also they said that I could have spent more time demonstrating my commitment to caring and reflecting on work experience :h:

And don't worry about feeling nosy.. I don't mind and I put it up on here anyway :penguinhug:

Ahh okay, yep Keele had SO much competition this year! 50% more applicants this year.:rolleyes: Yeah, seems like Sheffield gave a lot of feedback to you, not that you'll be needing it now..now that you go in! :wink: Well, thanks for sharing that information :smile: Now, I just need to get the grades and plan a gap year...

Also want to ask:

I'm doing some A2 module resits now in June because I didn't do very well in the January modules Well, I did okay, but I need a higher grade to secure my A's or even an A*.

So, when you apply with your actual grades, will universities ask whether you did any A2 module resits? Will it matter, considering you've already got the grades? P.S. I'm not applying to UCL/Cambridge

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 231
Original post by bigAsh
Hmm, I've been putting this off for a while but I just can't seem to decline my offer for biomedical science!

My heart is always going to be in medicine but it feels weird to make the decision to pull myself out of education!

Hmm, the security of university but going a course I won't enjoy... or taking a gap year and reapplying for a subject I will love but having the insecurity of time out... Argh I don't know :frown: :confused:

I also have a degree, biochem which im going to decline. I know how you feel, fearing that if this year is not succesful then it'll be a waste or that spending a whole year out of education worries you. Dont fret. If you work hard- which you will then I garantee you will get in and do medicine-which is your dream.
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Awesome :smile: I got three interviews last year and didn't get any offers. As I look back I think I put too too much pressure on myself to do well in the interviews so I didn't express myself as fluently as possible, leading to the rejections. I think the gap year has also genuinely boosted my independence in a way that wasn't possible in a structured environment like a school.

I have offers from HYMS and Lancaster but was rejected post interview from BSMS and pre itnerview from Leicester :smile:. I have firmed HYMS which is a big relief as you will find out next year :wink:.

The resits may hinder your application to a few Universities but a vast number of them accept resits so you should be ok. As always, be aware of entry criteria :smile: (wiki pages here are useful for that kind of research).

Thanks for your kind words and good luck! Feel free to quote me if you have any more questions :wink: :smile:.

Ahh wow, three interviews? where did you get interviews last time? I think I was doing exactly the same, hence no offers :mad: Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to my gap year now, I don't mind, but honestly scared about the admission tests. Well done on your offers! :biggrin: HYMS..ooh my friend who also applied for medicine and applied to HYMS but got rejected said they have a really good course. I heard you also get to do dissections on cadavers? :cool:

I was wondering though, wouldn't I be applying with the actual grades? so would the A2 module resits I did prior to that be irrelevant? I mean, would I actually have to put on UCAS form that I did those resits? I'm not applying to UCL or Cambridge.

Haha, np :smile: You must be super happy! :wink:
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Ahh okay, yep Keele had SO much competition this year! 50% more applicants this year.:rolleyes: Yeah, seems like Sheffield gave a lot of feedback to you, not that you'll be needing it now..now that you go in! :wink: Well, thanks for sharing that information :smile: Now, I just need to get the grades and plan a gap year...

Also want to ask:

I'm doing some A2 module resits now in June because I didn't do very well in the January modules Well, I did okay, but I need a higher grade to secure my A's or even an A*.

Now you might want to get this checked since I didn't do any resits so not 100% sure, but pretty sure that when it comes to resits, as long as it's within your 2 years of A levels you don't need to mention if a grade is through resits or not.

So I would recommend giving the breakdown of your module results (with your resitted grades(if they're higher obv)) when you add your A2's to UCAS ie: since some uni's prefer to know (Manchester iirc) and they could ask you to bring certificates at interview or could ask for them anyway so you might as well put them on there.

So as to whether it matters or not, so long as you get AAB (though those uni's are dwindling now) or better (the higher the better!) it won't matter :nah:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 234
Hey I'm subscribing to this thread also, since I have four rejections Hopefully, I can achieve my A level grades and improve my UKCAT score for the next year
Reply 235
what are you guys planning to do for your gap year :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Now you might want to get this checked since I didn't do any resits so not 100% sure, but pretty sure that when it comes to resits, as long as it's within your 2 years of A levels you don't need to mention if a grade is through resits or not.

So I would recommend giving the breakdown of your module results (with your resitted grades(if they're higher obv)) when you add your A2's to UCAS ie: since some uni's prefer to know (Manchester iirc) and they could ask you to bring certificates at interview or could ask for them anyway so you might as well put them on there.

So as to whether it matters or not, so long as you get AAB (though those uni's are dwindling now) or better (the higher the better!) it won't matter :nah:

Ahh I see, thank you so so much! :biggrin: Thanks for actually bothering to printscreen your UCAS and showing an example :wink: Nah, I'm definitely definitely trying to get all A's and maybe an A*. I know for sure AAB doesn't really suffice anymore and will really limit my options. I'm just worried as to whether these A2 module resits may really hinder my application. :redface: Do you know anywhere where I can check for definite? Hmmm...I'll just make a thread about it. :smile:
Ahh wow, three interviews? where did you get interviews last time? I think I was doing exactly the same, hence no offers :mad: Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to my gap year now, I don't mind, but honestly scared about the admission tests. Well done on your offers! :biggrin: HYMS..ooh my friend who also applied for medicine and applied to HYMS but got rejected said they have a really good course. I heard you also get to do dissections on cadavers? :cool:

I was wondering though, wouldn't I be applying with the actual grades? so would the A2 module resits I did prior to that be irrelevant? I mean, would I actually have to put on UCAS form that I did those resits? I'm not applying to UCL or Cambridge.

Haha, np :smile: You must be super happy! :wink:

Yeaa three :tongue: at Manchester, Liverpool and Keele. Manchester was my first and I was so nervous I completely messed up the whole day. I still think that it was the hardest interview I've ever had! Liverpool and Keele went fairly well and I only just missed getting an offer at both according to feedback.

Sadly HYMS isn't dissection :frown: but they have prosections and models and you can do dissection as an SSC so everything is on offer :smile:.

Sorry I'm not entirely sure what you do about declaring the exam resits considering I've got the grades already and am not doing resits.

And believe me I am extremely pleased :biggrin::P thanks :wink:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Yeaa three :tongue: at Manchester, Liverpool and Keele. Manchester was my first and I was so nervous I completely messed up the whole day. I still think that it was the hardest interview I've ever had! Liverpool and Keele went fairly well and I only just missed getting an offer at both according to feedback.

Sadly HYMS isn't dissection :frown: but they have prosections and models and you can do dissection as an SSC so everything is on offer :smile:.

Sorry I'm not entirely sure what you do about declaring the exam resits considering I've got the grades already and am not doing resits.

And believe me I am extremely pleased :biggrin::P thanks :wink:.

Ahh okay. Awesome! I also had an interview at Liverpool in December and just got rejected last Friday :frown: I wasn't even nervous, I thought it went quite well, obviously didn't, I haven't got my feedback yet, but I'm guessing it not a high enough interview score. Liverpool's interviews are pretty chilled out! They're really friendly. Yeah, I heard the Manchester interview is quite hard! Hmm..I just don't like the sound of Keele tbh! Haha. You must've felt so suckish, after three interviews at not getting any offers. That's how I'm feeling now! :redface:

Ahh okay, I thought HYMS was..yeah I think Liverpool also do prosections and models.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean any resits after I've got my grades, I meant A2 module resits within the two years, as in I'm going to do some in June because my January exams didn't go to plan. So, I'm asking whether I would have to declare the A2 module resits that I will be taking within the two years after I have already achieved my grades as in when reapplying? As in, would the A2 module resits be irrelevant considering I've achieved the grades?

If you get what I mean..Haha, sorry if it sounds confusing!
(edited 13 years ago)
Ahh okay. Awesome! I also had an interview at Liverpool in December and just got rejected last Friday :frown: I wasn't even nervous, I thought it went quite well, obviously didn't, I haven't got my feedback yet, but I'm guessing it not a high enough interview score. Liverpool's interviews are pretty chilled out! They're really friendly. Yeah, I heard the Manchester interview is quite hard! Hmm..I just don't like the sound of Keele tbh! Haha. You must've felt so suckish, after three interviews at not getting any offers. That's how I'm feeling now! :redface:

Ahh okay, I thought HYMS was..yeah I think Liverpool also do prosections and models.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean any resits after I've got my grades, I meant A2 module resits within the two years, as in I'm going to do some in June because my January exams didn't go to plan. So, I'm asking whether I would have to declare the A2 module resits that I will be taking within the two years after I have already achieved my grades as in when reapplying? As in, would the A2 module resits be irrelevant considering I've achieved the grades?

If you get what I mean..Haha, sorry if it sounds confusing!

Ohhh I get what you mean :smile: Nope, you only need to declare the grades you get at the end of the two years and not the resits. The final grades only have to be declared when they are certificated and only when they are certificated.

Hope that makes sense :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending