The Student Room Group

Did the lecturer do that purposely?

Today in my Communication and IP Skills lecture we were studying about different reading methods. So my lecturer took out this little book, opened it and she handed it over to some girl and asked her to skim through the two pages in front of her (gave her 10 seconds) and tell her what it said. The girl wasn't able to explain properly so she took the book back from her. At that moment I saw that "Obesity" was written in large letters on the cover. The lecturer called out my name (even though I was sitting way back in the room and right in the middle of the row) and handed the book over to me and told me to do the same thing. Pretty much everyone knew by now what the book was about. So this guy sitting next to me says "Go on this book is about you" and the lecturer laughs and says "Oh maybe it's a coincidence". And everyone started snickering and laughing. It was so majorly awkward and embarrassing. I had to go over the text for 10 seconds. When she asked me to tell her what it said. I mumbled and stammered and managed to convey a few facts about obesity and overweight people.

Thing is, I am the only overweight/obese guy in my class. Everyone else is skinny and whatnot. I found it all to be so embarrassing and insulting. Do you think she did it personally? I kept thinking about this and couldn't concentrate at all for the rest of the lecture. Damn.

Scroll to see replies

Or maybe you are just too self concious and paranoid, if it bothers you then you know what you need to do for the sake of your health :smile:
I don't know if it was deliberate or not but it was certainly very insensitive, and there was no excuse for joining in and laughing when the guy made a joke at your expense. Could you ask to move to a different seminar group or something? If that was me I'd be furious.
The same thing happened to me with a book on paranoia. :mad: Those bastards are always out to get me.
Reply 4
She probably didn't do it personally but didn't think about the joke. I would have to have a word with her about it.
Reply 5
Communication and IP studies? :rolleyes:
That's a bit mean :/
Some lecturers are like that. It's life.
:smile:
Original post by Great Lord Xenu
The same thing happened to me with a book on paranoia. :mad: Those bastards are always out to get me.

lol i really do hope its a joke if so very subtle and a +rep for you
Reply 9
I think it was done on purpose. Give her a book entitled 'Bitches in the 21st century'.
That is just not nice :|
Original post by emeritus2011
:smile:

lol i really do hope its a joke if so very subtle and a +rep for you

Are you a bit special needs?
well i remember my class did that to me.None of them are making it out of that basement
You got quite badly mugged off in my opinion. Contemplate your revenge.
Now I've read your post properly I have to say you're accountable here, they didn't do anything wrong. If you don'want want comments on being obese, lose weight.
Reply 15
Original post by Great Lord Xenu

The Same happened to me with a book on schizophrenic paranoia, but they have always been out to get us!!
Original post by TickTockBoom
Are you a bit special needs?

No im not but your point is?
Reply 17
Put snakes in her bag.
Original post by emeritus2011
No im not but your point is?

The joke was about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
Reply 19
lolwut

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending