The Student Room Group

Muslim Model Recieves Abuse For Entering Miss UK

...and not from racist idiots like the BNP or EDF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12860407

This kind of nonsense is why Islam really needs to undergo a reformation like Christianity did and strip itself of the conservative sexist elements that seem to be attracted to it. I mean really sending abuse to someone because they want to enter a beauty pageant, what nonsense.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I say good luck to her.
haters gonna hate.
Reply 3
Well it is a contest for whores, and it is quite explicit that Islam demands modesty - i show no sympathy whatsoever.
Reply 4
Surely what she does should be between her and God.
Reply 5
I'm sure the more conservative faction of Christianity does this kind of thing as well.

Prudishness and intolerance are not exclusive to Islam, or indeed to religion. You get plenty of people, religious and non-religious, who'll attack others for their personal choices.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Face full of religiously mandated acid aught to restore the 'honour' of the Islam nicely.
Reply 7
peak times for her. Imagine a black or hispanic american trying to compete for Miss USA. Same thing would happen(if not worse)

Good Luck anyway
Reply 8
Original post by Reml
Well it is a contest for whores, and it is quite explicit that Islam demands modesty - i show no sympathy whatsoever.

I'm not exactly a fan of beauty pageants, but for you to use such language demonstrates your complete contempt for women.

Islam can demand what it likes. British and Western values demand the same freedoms for women as for men, and these values allow for women to participate in these kinds of contests without feeling threatened by sexist pigs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
I say good luck to her.

Original post by DirtyPrettyThing
haters gonna hate.

Agreed
That's awful... :/
However, I can slightly see where they are coming from. I don't really know very much about islam, but doesn't modesty play a part? If someone could tell me.. why are there different "levels" of islam. Is it just how people choose to follow? What I mean is, how some muslim women can't even shake hands with another male, or some wear hijabs/burkhas, whereas others don't? Is it just the same as how there are devout christians, whereas others are less "strict", and there are different branches in christianity?
:smile:
Original post by Joinedup
Face full of religiously mandated acid aught to restore the 'honour' of the Islam nicely.

HAHA winning! :biggrin:
Original post by ajp100688

This kind of nonsense is why Islam really needs to undergo a reformation like Christianity did and strip itself of the conservative sexist elements that seem to be attracted to it. I mean really sending abuse to someone because they want to enter a beauty pageant, what nonsense.

Bearing in mind she had a brick smashed against her face by a 'racist idiot' when she was a child which left her hospitalised, I'd hardly say getting insults from some Muslims is the biggest issue she's had to deal with in her life. I find it quite distasteful how you're trying to pin the blame on Islam because she's been criticised by some people and overlook the much more serious issue of a racially motivated GBH attack on her when she was a child.
Original post by ussumane

Original post by ussumane
peak times for her. Imagine a black or hispanic american trying to compete for Miss USA. Same thing would happen(if not worse)

Good Luck anyway

The current Miss USA is a Lebanese-Muslim and the press were all over her (Fox News especially) with many saying she shouldn't be allowed to represent America. There's a video on youtube of Debbie Schlussel laying into her for about 10mins and calling her a terrorist/terrorist sympathiser/Al Qaeda etc.

Well obviously, Islam is against woman's rights, so they aren't going to be happy when a woman starts doing what she wants to do.
Reply 15
Well Islam is a religion of modesty, some people think that entering competitions like that is not modest.

But the real question is..."How hot is she?".
Not surprising. However, as a liberal I must respect the right for Muslims to express their views.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by supernova92
That's awful... :/
However, I can slightly see where they are coming from. I don't really know very much about islam, but doesn't modesty play a part? If someone could tell me.. why are there different "levels" of islam. Is it just how people choose to follow? What I mean is, how some muslim women can't even shake hands with another male, or some wear hijabs/burkhas, whereas others don't? Is it just the same as how there are devout christians, whereas others are less "strict", and there are different branches in christianity?
:smile:

People claim to be strong believers when they are not. Strictly speaking I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to be like a less strict Muslim, it is either by the law of Islam or just leave it out. Like drinking alcohol is not allowed, you cannot say I will drink alcohol but not so much that I will become drunk.
Original post by Joinedup

Profound.

I like how everyone is going on about Muslims being sexist so-and-so's despite there being no mention of 'Islamically mandated' violence against her and completely ignoring the racially motivated attack which led her to seek validation in pageants. Perhaps slamming a brick into a child's face is acceptable. Culturally mandated even. :rolleyes:.
Reply 19
Whatever happened to not judging? :hmmm:
Anyway, the main objection was the bikini round, which, tbh I disagree with too. She said she'd wear a sarong & one piece or something so I guess that's good. She can do what she wants :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply