The Student Room Group

Reapply to Cambridge

Hello,

I am considering reapplying for Cambridge to study either History and Politics or Law

I am predicted three A*'s in English Literature, History and Theatre Studies with an A predicted for an AS in Government and Politics.

My GCSE's were abysmal as I got 1 A, 3 B's, 6 C's

I have offers from York and Cardiff to study Law, however I am very much considering reapplying for Cambridge as I desire to study in Oxbridge (Applied to Oxford last year)

I feel that at an interview I might be able to impress, however I was not given an Interview at Oxford. I have heard that Oxford interviews a far smaller percentage of its applicants compared to Cambridge and 80%.

If I reapplied would I have any chance of:

- An Interview
- An Offer

Advice from anyone that has been through this sort of situation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Original post by Turkleton
Hello,

I am considering reapplying for Cambridge to study either History and Politics or Law

I am predicted three A*'s in English Literature, History and Theatre Studies with an A predicted for an AS in Government and Politics.

My GCSE's were abysmal as I got 1 A, 3 B's, 6 C's

I have offers from York and Cardiff to study Law, however I am very much considering reapplying for Cambridge as I desire to study in Oxbridge (Applied to Oxford last year)

I feel that at an interview I might be able to impress, however I was not given an Interview at Oxford. I have heard that Oxford interviews a far smaller percentage of its applicants compared to Cambridge and 80%.

If I reapplied would I have any chance of:

- An Interview
- An Offer

Advice from anyone that has been through this sort of situation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Unis like Cambridge tend to have a list of undesired A-Level subjects. Theatre Studies may be on that list, I don't know.

Well if you actually achieve those 3 A*s that would put you in a better position, but being predicted and achieving grades are two different things. Your GCSEs aren't brilliant either, so that may be a disadvantage.

Also, you'll probably be the first to pay the 9k fees.

If I were you I'd take York or Cardiff, they're both great unis!
I'm in pretty much the same position - looking at A*s in Mathematics, English Lang/Lit and Chemistry, with ****e GCSE grades. Furthermore, I've had a change of heart and would really love to apply for the Cambridge Natural Sciences course, as opposed to my current Engineering course which I am really not interested in, especially after the Open Days. Perhaps we could apply during our first few weeks at University, explaining the situation, and then if we're fortunate enough to receive an unconditional offer after an interview, drop out?

You would already have your grades, so perhaps that would give an advantage over the people who are just "predicted" their grades? Also, there may be a chance that the number of applicants next year will drop (becuase of the fees), so we may have a better chance of getting an offer, but I don't think this will be the case at Oxbridge, but you never know.

Hopefully you'll get some better advice from someone else :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yabbayabba
Unis like Cambridge tend to have a list of undesired A-Level subjects. Theatre Studies may be on that list, I don't know.

Well if you actually achieve those 3 A*s that would put you in a better position, but being predicted and achieving grades are two different things. Your GCSEs aren't brilliant either, so that may be a disadvantage.

Also, you'll probably be the first to pay the 9k fees.

If I were you I'd take York or Cardiff, they're both great unis!

I'd agree with the Theatre Studies comment. And as for GCSE's, I'd hoped that the admissions tutors would acknowledge that people peak at different times, and getting A*'s at A level would prove that. I know its one of the best universities in the world, but still :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by A level Az
I'd agree with the Theatre Studies comment. And as for GCSE's, I'd hoped that the admissions tutors would acknowledge that people peak at different times, and getting A*'s at A level would prove that. I know its one of the best universities in the world, but still :redface:

Hmm, well thats the mentality that I would really hope an admissions officer might have as such a positive change in grades surely must be attractive to them, as it shows I do have the academic ability. I emailed a few colleges at Cambridge and they said that if my A-Level grades suggested such a leap in ability, then they might look at the application in a different light :/
Original post by Turkleton
Hmm, well thats the mentality that I would really hope an admissions officer might have as such a positive change in grades surely must be attractive to them, as it shows I do have the academic ability. I emailed a few colleges at Cambridge and they said that if my A-Level grades suggested such a leap in ability, then they might look at the application in a different light :/

That's a good sign then isn't it. And I'd definately go for Cambridge as I believe they consider all parts of the application (more) equally.
Reply 6
6 Cs jog on mate
Go for it if you want. But remember you are not guaranteed anything, even if you think you are suitable (and you may well be). The admissions tutors arn't infallible. Every year people get get in who deserve a place, and people get in over others who were perhaps better suited for the course. If you think it is worth the gamble, remembering that tuition fees increase next year, then by all means go for it. Your GCSE's don't look pretty mind you, and if they need to decide between similar candidates based on tests/interview performance, you will get the short straw because of them. I would happily hazard a guess that the top 8 GCSE's of students at cambridge averages above 4A* and 4A's.

Think carefully about the reason you want so badly to go to Oxbridge. Do you want to go because of the prestige? Do you feel that without a Oxbridge degree your life will not be perfect, and that there is no other route in life? These are the wrong reasons, imo, for applying there. You should put it relatively. Harvard, MIT, Caltech and other US unis are probably better that Oxbridge. Don't you want to go to one of those now?

Some good reasons for wanting to go are; the college system, the amazing scenary, the tutorial teaching etc. If this is why you actually have your heart set on Oxbridge, then go for it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending