The Student Room Group

China to surpass USA in scientific research

within 2 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

whereas last year it was going to take them 10 years to catch up with the USA.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ef3097e-09da-11df-8b23-00144feabdc0.html

no doubt next year they'll look again and find it actually happened last week... and there's nothing wrong with that

I for one salute our new benevolent imperial overlords :afraid:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From an African perspective, I like China.

From a Middle-Eastern perspective, could **** really get worse?

From a British perspective, do they still hate us? Should we join the EU or the USA for protection :afraid:
doubt it....
Only under the measurement of one criteria, which i don't think is a adequate one.
Reply 4
I don't understand how you can measure scientific output.
Apparently having a lot of scientists means they publish a lot of papers.

Is it the same as the work being done in the US, though?
Reply 6
Don't Iran and the recently estranged Turkey have one of the highest scientific outputs as well? Strange. I don't think this is an intrinsically bad thing though. The only people who would be threatened by China beating the US in a single criterion are Rush Limbaugh and his sort. Maybe the US will start assassinating Chinese scientists and making it a criminal offence to work with Chinese scientists as they did with the Iranians. :teehee:
I for one have a wary eye on this piece of news. How long till output crashes due to the ageing population?
Shouldn't the bigger question be that its already passed us here in the UK?

Also the quality of US research far outweighs that of China; it'll take a long while before it catches up. This just sounds like the hyperbole used to say that China will takeover the US on an economic front, when that is not the case at all in any real terms.
Reply 9
Original post by manchild007
Shouldn't the bigger question be that its already passed us here in the UK?

Also the quality of US research far outweighs that of China; it'll take a long while before it catches up. This just sounds like the hyperbole used to say that China will takeover the US on an economic front, when that is not the case at all in any real terms.

Meh People seem obsessed right now with the idea of China over taking the USA. ot really sure why or why people (some on here) think that it would be a good thing

Original post by Aj12
Meh People seem obsessed right now with the idea of China over taking the USA. ot really sure why or why people (some on here) think that it would be a good thing

I think people like the idea of competition and a power balance rather than a pax-Americana. I personally think it'd be much better to have EU, USA and China on a relatively equal footing in terms of global leadership with India, Russia and Brazil emerging. With the rapid change occurring in the Middle East with the Jasmine Revolution we could possibly see the rise of a democratic Arab bloc as well similar to the EU. I don't want to see a Cold War style arms race developing between the US and China but the US simply cannot afford that atm. I don't think China will show any interest in expanding its influence for a long time yet, at least not until it lifts its entire population out of poverty.

Countries improving their scientific capability is only good news for everyone.
So what? China has a much higher population it's no wonder they'll produce more papers. And there's much more important indicators of a state's power than how many papers it's scientists produce.
Reply 12
It was going to happen anyway, just look at their recent development. However they still have massive social problems and theres still immense inequality
Original post by Aj12
I don't understand how you can measure scientific output.

China's economy and all -round scientific and economic welfare is rapidly expanding. More children there are encouraged from a young age, and everyone works harder, trust me, i have a lot of sources.

China will easily become the next super power, i heard this when i was like 8...

It's happening, no more Bully USA. Mess with China and it's the end of illegal wars for USA:smile:

even now, the USA can't even spread propaganda against china, like they do for many countries...

If the USA stopped spending $500 billion (real figure) on war, and actually started spending it on more productive/less human rights violative and illegal wars and weapons., the world would be a better place tbh...

if they want to be a superpower again...WAR is gotta go
either war must go, or EVERY public service, and enriching funding for society must go..
they must STOP giving aid to dictators to close borders and let israel opress plastine...with the new government there, i think they will definitley open the borders, finally!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
within 2 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

whereas last year it was going to take them 10 years to catch up with the USA.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ef3097e-09da-11df-8b23-00144feabdc0.html

no doubt next year they'll look again and find it actually happened last week... and there's nothing wrong with that

I for one salute our new benevolent imperial overlords :afraid:

Reply 15
Original post by sixthformer
China's economy and all -round scientific and economic welfare is rapidly expanding. More children there are encouraged from a young age, and everyone works harder, trust me, i have a lot of sources.

China will easily become the next super power, i heard this when i was like 8...

It's happening, no more Bully USA. Mess with China and it's the end of illegal wars for USA:smile:

even now, the USA can't even spread propaganda against china, like they do for many countries...

If the USA stopped spending $500 billion (real figure) on war, and actually started spending it on more productive/less human rights violative and illegal wars and weapons., the world would be a better place tbh...

if they want to be a superpower again...WAR is gotta go
either war must go, or EVERY public service, and enriching funding for society must go..
they must STOP giving aid to dictators to close borders and let israel opress plastine...with the new government there, i think they will definitley open the borders, finally!

Your kidding right? I would not be surprised if China launches an attack on one of its neighbors in the next 20 years over border disputes.

Your ignorant illogical hate of America actually makes you think an all mighty China would be a good thing. Please tell that to the people thrown into prison for trying to launch protesters like the ones in the Middle East that you love so much.

Look up the Chinese economy. You might actually see that its fast rise may well end in a much faster fall.
Original post by Aj12
Your kidding right? I would not be surprised if China launches an attack on one of its neighbors in the next 20 years over border disputes.

Your ignorant illogical hate of America actually makes you think an all mighty China would be a good thing. Please tell that to the people thrown into prison for trying to launch protesters like the ones in the Middle East that you love so much.

Look up the Chinese economy. You might actually see that its fast rise may well end in a much faster fall.

Listen, i hate the american governments, and am fully justified to do so. I like Obama though.

However, you know my reasons, from the blowing up of hiroshima murdering over 200,000 ATLEAST if not considerably more with nuclear bombs, to the illegal invasion of IRAQ, and putting saddam in power...

China may or may not be a good thing, but america's history goes against them.

You need China to neutralise America, and vice versa. One country should not think it's all that / powerfull, it should be wary if he violates human rights ect, it will be dealt with lol.

The world is currently unstable.

You're speaking on pure speculation that China would attack it's neighbours, wheter it is true or not, you show irrational love for american crimes, denying everything.

i know how to see if someone genuinly believes something, or will argue for lies.

i do not hate american people, i have no right to

i hate their governments, and history is on my side.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by sixthformer
Listen, i hate the american governments, and am fully justified to do so. I like Obama though.

However, you know my reasons, from the blowing up of hiroshima murdering over 200,000 ATLEAST if not considerably more with nuclear bombs, to the illegal invasion of IRAQ, and putting saddam in power...

China may or may not be a good thing, but america's history goes against them.

You need China to neutralise America, and vice versa. One country should not think it's all that / powerfull, it should be wary if he violates human rights ect, it will be dealt with lol.

The world is currently unstable.

You're speaking on pure speculation that China would attack it's neighbours, wheter it is true or not, you show irrational love for american crimes, denying everything.

i know how to see if someone genuinly believes something, or will argue for lies.

i do not hate american people, i have no right to

i hate their governments, and history is on my side.

Top estimate for Hiroshima is 166 thousand.

As does china's history.

Hardly I am not denying anything.

You don't seem to understand history at all if you think Pearl Harbour was some kind of hoax.
Original post by Joinedup

Yeah! C'mon! :biggrin:
Original post by Aj12
Top estimate for Hiroshima is 166 thousand.

As does china's history.

Hardly I am not denying anything.

You don't seem to understand history at all if you think Pearl Harbour was some kind of hoax.

between 150 -270k people, check google, not american times:P

ok secondly, pearl harbour may not have been a hoax, but , i know well that the attacks, if there were any, WERE MERE exuses to go murder people/destablise a 'threat' country...

don't take anything to face value...i have quotes of american officials in charge saying things you may not want to know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending