The Student Room Group

reason for study

Hello,

I'm doing my application and in the web application form there is a field called "Reason for study" I'm wondering if in that field should I write a proper personal statement or just a few phrases saying why I want to study that course and why I'm choosing that univeristy?

The field Is not too large, so I'm wondering what they want =S

By the way it's for the university of kent, course Msc Computer Security.

I know that usually undergraduate students have to write a personal statement with arrounf 500 words, I just don't know if posgraduate students also have to do it or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
On my post-grad applications I was always asked to write a personal statement. One of the forms they also asked some complementary questions about why I wanted to study the course, what was my final research project/Honours thesis on last year of my undergrad and what attracted me to that particular university. They both specified what they wanted though and for the short answer questions it said quite clearly that the max word limit was 250 words.

Is there another section on the application form where you could put a supporting statement? If not then I would put the longer statement in this field.
Reply 2
Well in my application form doesn't say anything about the field being for a personal statement or not just "Reason for study" but just for precuation I'm going to write a personal statement ;-)

However I have noticed now that near the field there is a upload button where we can upload a document with the reason for study so I'm thinking that button is the option to send a personal statement if I want.
Reply 3
Yep, definitely send a personal statement if you can. Looks way better than a couple of lines or something, you get to show you're more motivated to come there and that you can string paragraphs together.
Reply 4
derp, you are right.

This is something for university so must be a proper thing and I have to show my self.
Reply 5
Glad you agree!
Original post by wdreamer
Hello,

I'm doing my application and in the web application form there is a field called "Reason for study" I'm wondering if in that field should I write a proper personal statement or just a few phrases saying why I want to study that course and why I'm choosing that univeristy?

The field Is not too large, so I'm wondering what they want =S

By the way it's for the university of kent, course Msc Computer Security.

I know that usually undergraduate students have to write a personal statement with arrounf 500 words, I just don't know if posgraduate students also have to do it or not.

If you don't have a specific field and you are doing it online, you normally have the option to attach additional document. If I was you I will fill this field with your reason of study + add a proper personal statement.
Reply 7
LysFromParis,

Yes I noticed that I have a option to attach additional document, so you are suggesting me to write something in the reason for study field and attach a proper personal statement?

But what I am going to write in the field? Will it not be almost the same that I'm going to write in the proper personal statement ?
LysFromParis,

Yes I noticed that I have a option to attach additional document, so you are suggesting me to write something in the reason for study field and attach a proper personal statement?

But what I am going to write in the field? Will it not be almost the same that I'm going to write in the proper personal statement ?

Yes it's nearly what I did for some unis, they seemed to not mind about it. Obviously your personal statement would have additional information (mostly about your actual background) that you may not feel appropriate to the document fields.
Reply 9
Alright then, I'm going to write a personal statement and attach in the document attach option and I'm going to write something in the reason field as well.
Reply 10
Alright then, I'm going to write a personal statement and attach in the document attach option and I'm going to write something in the reason field as well.

If you're going to write anything in the reason field, make it a really, really brief summary of your personal statement, then say something like "please see attached document" or something.

Quick Reply

Latest