The Student Room Group

Best Electronic Device for University?

I'm going to start a law degree in September, and I've been looking around the net for the best electronic device to use at university, but I'm somewhat stuck.

What device am I best off getting for university; specifically for a law course? Am I best off sticking with a laptop because of it's ease of use and memory, best off with a harder to use but more portable netbook, or perhaps a tablet PC? Or is a combination best? A weak laptop and a tablet? Or perhaps a netbook and tablet? etc etc.

Ideally I just want an idea on what would be the most effective device to have at university (or even why you think it might be better not to have one at all).

Any recommendations for specific devices would also be nice, if there's anything you find particularly good.
Reply 1
In my opinion, the hierarchy of computing is:

Desktop computer > Laptop > Netbook = Tablet > Smartphone

Bearing that in mind, I think it is always best to get the computer that "highest on the list" for your needs. For example, if you just needed a computer but not necessarily for portability, I'd advise getting a desktop. Since you've talked a lot about laptops and tablets, I assume that portability is in fact important to you? In that case, definitely buy a laptop over a netbook or a tablet. There's no real need to buy both a netbook and a tablet because they both occupy a vey similar niche.

You might want to have a look at this wiki article as well: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Tech:biggrin:o_I_need_a_laptop_for_uni
Reply 2
Grab a strong laptop.

Uni life tends to be fairly transient and lugging around a desktop computer (and monitor) is going to suck something awful. Tablets are great for a number of things but you probably want something where you can crank out the essays, and that's going to suck on a tablet pc/iPad.
Reply 3
Totally depends what you're thinking of doing at university. Course-wise, I'd have been stuck without my desktop this year, but a powerful laptop could've possibly replaced it.

If you want to do online gaming, I'd say a desktop.

If you plan on being really involved in societies, taking up responsibilities etc, then I'd invest in a smartphone for organisation.

If you want to take your computer to lectures to type notes up on, then a netbook or laptop would be a good choice.

Personally, I have a desktop which I do my CompSci work on, a netbook for general research, notes, etc, and a smartphone which has my life on it.

If I could afford it, I'd have just a powerful laptop and a smartphone.
Get one of those pens that records speech as well.
either a laptop
or a more powerful desktop + tablet

both options cost roughly the same amount
Reply 6
Good desktop, does everything i want it too and with multiple monitors!
Laptops are easy for portability and writing essays on. I just have a laptop and then my phone for the calendar (I'd be lost without that and its alarms right now!) and voice recorder to record lectures.
Reply 8
Well, we know what the girls are going to say... :awesome:
Reply 9
Original post by Sir Toad
I'm going to start a law degree in September, and I've been looking around the net for the best electronic device to use at university, but I'm somewhat stuck.

What device am I best off getting for university; specifically for a law course? Am I best off sticking with a laptop because of it's ease of use and memory, best off with a harder to use but more portable netbook, or perhaps a tablet PC? Or is a combination best? A weak laptop and a tablet? Or perhaps a netbook and tablet? etc etc.

Ideally I just want an idea on what would be the most effective device to have at university (or even why you think it might be better not to have one at all).

Any recommendations for specific devices would also be nice, if there's anything you find particularly good.

What about http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/asus-eee-pad-transformer-954145/review.

Combines tablet and netbook. Looks pretty awesome.
Original post by Est.
Well, we know what the girls are going to say... :awesome:

What would that be, then? :ahee:
Reply 11
I'v been looking into the same thing and I have found that using a iPad (128 GB) and the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover might be the best option as it suffices as both a laptop and tablet. The keyboard helps with the long essay writing, however if I'm not sure but I think Word and such can't go on the iPad so perhaps a laptop might be best. Consider the apple products as they have a huge amount of apps to make work a whole lot easier and fun.
An alarm clock.
I just recommend a good laptop something that is portable to class as well as strong enough to use. I personally use a 15.6 inch laptop with a 24 inch monitor at home and I recently bought a 10 inch tablet/laptop 2 in 1 but I don't use it often.

I don't see the need for a desktop as laptops these days are easily powerful enough to allow you to do basically everything you could want to do (except extreme gaming and even then there are gaming laptops).

Portability is essential for many uni students.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sir Toad

How about a digital recorder

Latest

Trending

Trending