The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
Why do you say that?

As someone that goes to Oxford, I can say that while I'm enjoying it, I kind of feel like the tutorial system hasn't lived up to my expectations (and I never set my expectations that high anyway), the lectures for our subject have been shocking this past term (and half were average in michaelmas); I just figured that since it's meant to be one of the best universities in the country, that you'd get higher quality teaching. Yes, I understand that it's pretty much up to you how well you do, but you'd think that you'd actually learn SOMETHING in your tutes, and kind of expect your tutor not to make basic maths errors and throughout the tute.

That's not to say it's not an excellent university, but my personal experience hasn't been what I expected so far.
Original post by Txi
I think this is how it really goes:

Underrated:

Sussex, UEA, Notts Trent

Why ? I save that for the next post.

here, here - that's what i'm talkin' about !
Original post by losingtouch.
i think Surrey is underrated.. and Royal Holloway.

Sorry for the accidental negging... :frown: I honestly didn't mean to, I slipped on the touch pad; I'm so bad with technology.

I agree with you on Surrey; I think it's 'cause they're always missing information on employability in the league tables even though they actually have high employability levels.

But I don't agree on Royal Holloway. I think it's overrated just because it's a London uni. People seem to hols it in really high regard but its statistics aren't really that good and they seem to be going down on the league. I also know someone who is trying to apply for accommodation and she was told, or so she says, that they expect her to pay £150 just to apply for accommodation, which according to another of my friends, wasn't all that amazing. I'm not saying it's a bad uni, just that the application fee is a bit harsh and I don't see what all the hype is about.

Oh, and I'm not biased on that front, because I actually withdrew my application to RHUL and although I have an offer from Surrey, I'm not firming them; I'm hoping to firm UEA and insure Brunel
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Sorry for the accidental negging... :frown: I honestly didn't mean to, I slipped on the touch pad; I'm so bad with technology.

I agree with you on Surrey; I think it's 'cause they're always missing information on employability in the league tables even though they actually have high employability levels.

But I don't agree on Royal Holloway. I think it's overrated just because it's a London uni. People seem to hols it in really high regard but its statistics aren't really that good and they seem to be going down on the league. I also know someone who is trying to apply for accommodation and she was told, or so she says, that they expect her to pay £150 just to apply for accommodation, which according to another of my friends, wasn't all that amazing. I'm not saying it's a bad uni, just that the application fee is a bit harsh and I don't see what all the hype is about.

Oh, and I'm not biased on that front, because I actually withdrew my application to RHUL and although I have an offer from Surrey, I'm not firming them; I'm hoping to firm UEA and insure Brunel

lol, no worries i've done that before!

interesting. i've only visited Royal Holloway and am going on what others have said so i could well be wrong. I think being a part of the university of London does make it sound better though, that's true.
UEA is great (actually probably underrated!) - hope you get the results you need!
Original post by nulli tertius
And of course the other HE institution in Coventry was Lanchester Polytechnic.

To have one institution not named after your city might be considered accidental but two?

You can't blame them, Coventry is one of the worst places I have ever visited. That shouldn't devalue Warwick's reputation academically, though.
it seems to me people are saying the overrated universities are actually the best ones. Jealousy maybe??
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
overrated - oxbridge/imperial college/manchester

underrated - soas/liverpool/exeter/oxford brookes

I like to beat down places that rejected me too :colone:
lol, no worries i've done that before!

interesting. i've only visited Royal Holloway and am going on what others have said so i could well be wrong. I think being a part of the university of London does make it sound better though, that's true.
UEA is great (actually probably underrated!) - hope you get the results you need!

Thank you! :biggrin:

It surprises me how few people have even heard of UEA. My mum thought it was some kind of college and was horrified that I was applying there. :tongue: Nobody seems to realise just how good they are for English Lit with Creative Writing...

Apparently, Royal Holloway is quite nice and pretty as a uni (according to the friend again), but I just think they're overrated based on their stats. I'm not saying it's awful, if you're still considering it. I just decided it wasn't for me and I wouldn't choose on offer from there over one on the same grade as UEA. :smile:

It surprises me how few people have even heard of UEA. My mum thought it was some kind of college and was horrified that I was applying there. :tongue: Nobody seems to realise just how good they are for English Lit with Creative Writing...

Apparently, Royal Holloway is quite nice and pretty as a uni (according to the friend again), but I just think they're overrated based on their stats. I'm not saying it's awful, if you're still considering it. I just decided it wasn't for me and I wouldn't choose on offer from there over one on the same grade as UEA. :smile:

yeah it's not far from where i live and i've visited. it's sooo pretty! the grounds are amazing. i'm not applying until october though (i'm re-taking year 12.) so yeah have a while to think! haha.
Original post by guitarmike456

Original post by guitarmike456
I like to beat down places that rejected me too :colone:

well, i didn't apply to the ones i have described as overrated :smile:. did they reject you? that's unfortunate. in reality, you rejected them really.
(edited 13 years ago)

Ain't that the truth! When I was trying to explain to one of my RS teachers why I was so excited about UEA in particular and mentioned Ian McEwan, I got: 'Who's he?'. Needless to say, I've given up trying to tell people about UEA. The reaction I get is: 'Why did you apply there? You should have applied to *insert top 10 university here*.' It is slightly annoying when people think I'm selling myself short but meh... at least I know! :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
well, i didn't apply to the ones i have described as overrated :smile:. did they reject you? that's unfortunate. in reality, you rejected them really.

haha. they clearly didn't reject me, and I'm not saying any university is overrated because my opinion is completely uneducated.
Overrated - Warwick
Underrated - UEA
yeah it's not far from where i live and i've visited. it's sooo pretty! the grounds are amazing. i'm not applying until october though (i'm re-taking year 12.) so yeah have a while to think! haha.

It's great place. I loved the atmosphere when I visited. :smile: What subject do you think you'll be applying for in October?

Original post by diamonddust
Ain't that the truth! When I was trying to explain to one of my RS teachers why I was so excited about UEA in particular and mentioned Ian McEwan, I got: 'Who's he?'. Needless to say, I've given up trying to tell people about UEA. The reaction I get is: 'Why did you apply there? You should have applied to *insert top 10 university here*.' It is slightly annoying when people think I'm selling myself short but meh... at least I know! :biggrin: :tongue:

Yeah, my mum's exact reaction when I told her I wanted to go to UEA before I applied was; "Well, you want to apply to other places as well." She looked at me like I was crazy. It took about a month to persuade her that UEA really is the best place for me to go to do the creative writing part of the course. :smile:
It's great place. I loved the atmosphere when I visited. :smile: What subject do you think you'll be applying for in October?

Yeah, my mum's exact reaction when I told her I wanted to go to UEA before I applied was; "Well, you want to apply to other places as well." She looked at me like I was crazy. It took about a month to persuade her that UEA really is the best place for me to go to do the creative writing part of the course. :smile:

either philosophy or criminology & sociology. undecided. :smile:
Reply 275

I'm seconding this. The UEA is one of the best places in the country for creative writing. Good luck! Norwich is a nice city too. I may be biased as I live here, but it's very historical and pretty :smile: I however am going to a Uni very far away :smile: (I've lived here all my life, nice but tiresome after 18/19 years)
Reply 276
Original post by tillytots
Most overrated: King's college

Most Underrated: UEA (not that i'm biased or anything :P)

This is just judging on how I've seen them though and not on reputation.

WOW. Obviously have angered alot of people on this thread.

Kings College London was the Times university of the year in 2010. And in some surveys, it is in the top 25 in the world.
Reply 277
Original post by viksta1000
I think KCL needs more credit for where it sits in the rankings, top 10 in the UK, top 20 in the world...and yet people continue to go on about Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and Durham

Couldnt agree more with u mate. Kings <3
Original post by Toon Fan
Kings College London was the Times university of the year in 2010. And in some surveys, it is in the top 25 in the world.

As I said in my post, I was just talking from what I'd viewed at Open Day and not from what league tables and newspapers say.

I had the same, she asked me why on the earth I'd want to live in Norwich and go to some concrete monstrosity, however after visiting she was firmly swayed and would have probably applied herself if she had the opportunity :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending