The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
From the open days/students/websites, I do know roughly however it's still a little vague. But it is very science based - or systems based even (albeit that you have patient cases, a bit of PBL, and then some people-ey modules alongside). I suppose that's expected though. I'm not sure how far they go into it in comparison to say for example if you were studying biochemistry, but I guess I'll only really know once it comes to it! I'll steal their notes too if need be. :ninja:
I'll have 2 (possibly 3 years if I intercalate) left to go after you've graduated! :zomg:

Fine. You're sly one, you. :shifty: I'm already with pretending to like gravy. :king3: I can make gravy, if that helps?

I know what you mean. :tongue: Although I'm in the position of wanting to be the person doing the research and wanting to implement it... At least I do now. :laugh:

Oh yeah. :wink:

I might be doing a year out in between 2 and 3 either abroad or with industrial experience, so I'll still be 4 years :biggrin:

If you make me gravy and serve it to me with chips (not french fries) then you immediately get upgraded from :king3: to :king2:

The only way you can get :king1: is by giving me KFC gravy.

Oh my God. Oh. My. God. :adore:

But enough about KFC gravy, it's bad for you and I'm supposed to be a healthy medical type student :ashamed2:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 961
hey everyone!
googled reviews for leeds accomodation and ended up on here, never been on before though so not exactly sure what im doing haha

i applied for leeds last year but deferred my entry right at the last minute, so now have an unconditional offer for this year. last year i applied to go in Opal 3 cos i absolutely LOVED it, didnt even have to look at any others cos i knew straight away i wanted to stay there! but really not sure about going there anymore this year now its not being offered by the university itself, so now i havent got a clue what to do about my accomodation!

went to the viewing day saturday but didnt get chance to see many. i like clarence docks but it just seems to be too far away!

for some reason im leaning towards the Tannery (even though i didnt get to go view it) but hardly any one on here seems to have considered it... dont wanna end up there by myself haha! just wondering if anyone has any information about it in addition to whats on the website etccc? heard its pretty quiet so not sure about that, i want somewhere thats gonna be sociable!

so any ideas on an all en-suite, self catered accomodation with a good location and social life (asking a lot there i know haha) would be great!

thanks! :smile:
Reply 962
Original post by gina.x
hey everyone!
googled reviews for leeds accomodation and ended up on here, never been on before though so not exactly sure what im doing haha

i applied for leeds last year but deferred my entry right at the last minute, so now have an unconditional offer for this year. last year i applied to go in Opal 3 cos i absolutely LOVED it, didnt even have to look at any others cos i knew straight away i wanted to stay there! but really not sure about going there anymore this year now its not being offered by the university itself, so now i havent got a clue what to do about my accomodation!

went to the viewing day saturday but didnt get chance to see many. i like clarence docks but it just seems to be too far away!

for some reason im leaning towards the Tannery (even though i didnt get to go view it) but hardly any one on here seems to have considered it... dont wanna end up there by myself haha! just wondering if anyone has any information about it in addition to whats on the website etccc? heard its pretty quiet so not sure about that, i want somewhere thats gonna be sociable!

so any ideas on an all en-suite, self catered accomodation with a good location and social life (asking a lot there i know haha) would be great!

quite a few of us are interested in the Tannery but we're all also worried about the social aspect, JB seems to be the one wanted the most, but as you don't get a second choice it's risky cos it means you can end up anywhere
Reply 963
Original post by gina.x
hey everyone!

Hey! Welcome to TSR :h:

Congrats on your unconditional! What degree are you going to study?

The accomodation in the Headingly area is normally a good shout for socialness - I've applied for Lupton personally but it's all shared bathrooms so wouldn't suit your wishes :P
Reply 964
Original post by dmz
quite a few of us are interested in the Tannery but we're all also worried about the social aspect, JB seems to be the one wanted the most, but as you don't get a second choice it's risky cos it means you can end up anywhere

ahh i see
yeah im really worried its gonna be half empty cos no one wants to go there. i want to be somewhere where im gonna meet lots of new people!

i guess the Tannery is pretty big though, it has like 400 and something rooms doesnt it? so there should be plenty going off if you think of it like that!
it has all the facilities i want (mainly an en-suite) and seems to be pretty modern, so dont know whether to chance it and apply there. if i get there and dont like it theres always the option to transfer!

arghhh dont know what to do haha :frown:
Reply 965
Original post by Muffinz
Hey! Welcome to TSR :h:

Congrats on your unconditional! What degree are you going to study?

The accomodation in the Headingly area is normally a good shout for socialness - I've applied for Lupton personally but it's all shared bathrooms so wouldn't suit your wishes :P

heyy!

thankyou :smile: im doing a law degree! what are you gonna study?
yeah ive read that, but i have no idea where the Tannery is in relation to Headingly... or which accomodations are situated in Headingly... or how far it is from Headingly to the University campus and the town centre! (don't really know much to say i applied a year ago now haha!) :tongue:

yeah i really want an en-suite so im gonna apply somewhere thats all en-suite to try and make sure i get one haha!
Reply 966
Original post by gina.x
ahh i see
yeah im really worried its gonna be half empty cos no one wants to go there. i want to be somewhere where im gonna meet lots of new people!

i guess the Tannery is pretty big though, it has like 400 and something rooms doesnt it? so there should be plenty going off if you think of it like that!
it has all the facilities i want (mainly an en-suite) and seems to be pretty modern, so dont know whether to chance it and apply there. if i get there and dont like it theres always the option to transfer!

arghhh dont know what to do haha :frown:

I wouldn't be too worried about it tbh, it depends who you're put with, but it's 10-15mins walk to town and my friend there says more people go to city centre for clubs in reality than going to headingley, and it's next to 3/4 other accommodation, sentinel (which is quite dull) and 2/3 for leeds met students (concept, plaza, opal 1 n 2). There are direct buses to headingley and town, not sure how regular though. It's up to 20mins walk from town apparently. I wish i visited it as well. I can't decide between JB and Tannery but might just go for tannery, there's a student bar close bar as well so if the people sucks i'm gonna be in there an awful lot, lol
Reply 967
Original post by dmz
I wouldn't be too worried about it tbh, it depends who you're put with, but it's 10-15mins walk to town and my friend there says more people go to city centre for clubs in reality than going to headingley, and it's next to 3/4 other accommodation, sentinel (which is quite dull) and 2/3 for leeds met students (concept, plaza, opal 1 n 2). There are direct buses to headingley and town, not sure how regular though. It's up to 20mins walk from town apparently. I wish i visited it as well. I can't decide between JB and Tannery but might just go for tannery, there's a student bar close bar as well so if the people sucks i'm gonna be in there an awful lot, lol

yeah, i've been out in leeds before and stayed in the clubs in the town centre instead of going to Headingly and it was really good.

ive read that sentinel is mainly for post grads though so i just hope it being so close to the Tannery doesnt mean the Tannerys dull too!

i know i wish i had too, i wish there was gonna be another viewing day!

ooo student bar close by sounds good though lol

think im just gonna go for it and apply for the Tannery, its got everything i want really and even if it is abit quiet you can always go out and find sociable things to do!

also, i saw earlier that the accomodation office said that the Tannery was one of the ones that had less applicants than it had places so maybe that means you're more or less guaranteed a place there if you apply?

thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 968
Original post by gina.x
heyy!

thankyou :smile: im doing a law degree! what are you gonna study?
yeah ive read that, but i have no idea where the Tannery is in relation to Headingly... or which accomodations are situated in Headingly... or how far it is from Headingly to the University campus and the town centre! (don't really know much to say i applied a year ago now haha!) :tongue:

yeah i really want an en-suite so im gonna apply somewhere thats all en-suite to try and make sure i get one haha!

I've got an unconditional for English Lang and Lit - very excited! :smile:

You should look up the accommodation map on the website!
Reply 969
Hello everyone I am Mother2's daughter and she keeps pestering me to write a post about the accommodation we went to see on Saturday, so here it is

We went to see Clarence Dock first, and I really liked it from the go. It had a really nice atmosphere and felt very safe and clean, there were lots of blossom trees everywhere and I thought the buildings looked nice/modern.
The bar is a great attribute; it had a communal feel to it, with cheap drinks, nice seating areas, and food was okay.
The actual rooms were good, I liked the layout, and although they weren't as spacious as some, I thought they felt warm and homely. The bathrooms were pretty standard, not as modern as the ones in the Tannery, but very functional and ermmm I like ensuites haha :smile:
The corridors were a bit narrow, and they very do much feel like separate flats, however I think this is the same for most of the accommodation.
The gym was TEENY that's one of my only criticisms of the actual site, mainly running machines and bike machines, only one set of weights.
Also the surrounding area wasn't great, me and my mum didn't walk around it much, but it was mainly big industrial sites and the canal. However there was a tesco just down the road.
Biggest draw back for me was the distance, Im going to be studying Medicine (9-6 lectures) and I just don't think I could hack a 30/40 minute walk home as well. I know bus passes are cheap, but it would be nice to have the option to just finish a busy day, run home and crash.

The Tannery
I was really looking forward to seeing the tannery cause it's so close for the medical school, but it was quite a let down to be honest.
The area wasn't the nicest, a busy road, a "dodgy pub" as my mum put it and it's in the west side of Leeds which my Dad said isn;t the best bit.
I did like the fact it had a Nisa underneath haha, and the Sentinel is opposite so there would be lots of students in the area.
The common room was okay, just some settees and a telly, with a bit of an overused dart board. It was kinda empty but I'm sure it would be a bit more lively / fun looking with some people in it.
The bedrooms were nice, large with new furnishings, and the bathrooms were very clean and new. The kitchens weren't as nice as the ones in Clarence Dock, but fine :smile: (no recycling bins as someone else put!)
The thing which put me off the Tannery the most was the atmosphere. It all felt kinda unwelcoming, and I really couldn't imagine myself living there.
Also I seem to remember everything being quite dark and cold, but I'm not sure if I've just added that to my memory haha!

Sentinel Towers

Definitely lives up to it's name of being full of post-grad and international students. The people showing us round seemed to be older and international, and they confirmed it was a quiet atmosphere for people who wanted to work.
Now there's nothing wrong with working, but a bit of play is needed!
It felt nice and enough and all the people seemed kind, but no common room put me off big time.

Leodis

The fact that it is sandwiched between council estates really didn't give me the best first impressions. It looked pretty new from the outside; lots of primary colours. Inside it was quite bare, and not that modern inside. The carpets were all a bit industrial and threadbare. The bathrooms were bigger than the ones at the tannery and Clarence dock, but nowhere near as nice.
I think it may have been because no-one was living in the rooms that it felt so dead, but still I didn't like the whole vibe.
There are some major plusses though, it is really close to the campus, had two massive laundrettes (CD looked quite small for the number of people using it), and it had a nice outdoor barbeque area with wooden benches.
It felt a bit detached from the rest of the Univeristy / Leeds I won't lie, but Montague is very close by so maybe that isn't true.

James Baillie

I LOVED James Baillie, I remember as we pulled up just thinking "eeeee!". It's right next to all the studenty areas, with bohemian cafes and little cool shops and stuff.
The bit around the halls itself is very leafy with lots of trees and big old houses. It wasn't quite as nicely furnished as some of the other places, but still nice! The common room was a tad small, but with two other halls so close by, Im pretty sure communal spaces would be shared. I think the only downside for me is the competition, according to the rumours on here, only 50% of applicants get in! :s-smilie: Not the sort of odds I like.
The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed, and there are a range of types of room available.

Devonshire Halls

At the moment, Devonshire is my first choice (but I might be persuaded for JB!)
I just loved the aesthetics of it; loads of archways and courtyards and trees. Lots of stone everywhere; I like intimidating buildings.
The common room was massive with lots of leather chairs and a buzzing atmosphere, they have their own bar as well which is a big plus.
The kitchen was the same as everywhere else haha, as were the rooms and bathrooms. I looked at the ensuite, yet again not as modern as the tannery, but fine.
Only downside is the "stuck-up" rumours, people have been assuring me they aren't true but Im still worrying :s-smilie:

Anyhoo
this is MASSIVE
Im so sorry!! haa
any questions and I will happily answer
Reply 970
wow
Reply 971
thanks a lot. Very helpful. Confirms my fear for each one i liked. Is it possible you were put off the tannery cos you expected a lot. I felt the same way about CD cos i looked forward to it i ended up disappointed. Thanks a lot tho and CONGRATZ on your offer :smile: think I'll go with tannery. Tho i loved the bar in CD and the rooms in JB :sigh:
Reply 972
Original post by gina.x
yeah, i've been out in leeds before and stayed in the clubs in the town centre instead of going to Headingly and it was really good.

ive read that sentinel is mainly for post grads though so i just hope it being so close to the Tannery doesnt mean the Tannerys dull too!

i know i wish i had too, i wish there was gonna be another viewing day!

ooo student bar close by sounds good though lol

think im just gonna go for it and apply for the Tannery, its got everything i want really and even if it is abit quiet you can always go out and find sociable things to do!

also, i saw earlier that the accomodation office said that the Tannery was one of the ones that had less applicants than it had places so maybe that means you're more or less guaranteed a place there if you apply?

thanks for the help :smile:

think I'll do the same. Most of the socializing'll be out of halls for me. The website seems to be misleading tho and there's a downside to every accommodation it seems, plus different taste so find a current student with similar taste to you if you can
Reply 973
Original post by Muffinz
I've got an unconditional for English Lang and Lit - very excited! :smile:

You should look up the accommodation map on the website!

oooh congrats to you too :smile:
i know im so excited! stressing about this accomodation though! haha
yeah think im gonna have a look at the maps and do a bit more research :smile:
Reply 974

Original post by dmz
thanks a lot. Very helpful. Confirms my fear for each one i liked. Is it possible you were put off the tannery cos you expected a lot. I felt the same way about CD cos i looked forward to it i ended up disappointed. Thanks a lot tho and CONGRATZ on your offer :smile: think I'll go with tannery. Tho i loved the bar in CD and the rooms in JB :sigh:

Yes tbh I think every single place has a downside, it just how much that down side bothers you :/
I think I was my high hopes for the Tannery, I just don't like that tower block feeling, I prefer things a bit more spread out and closer to the ground haha
Ah Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: Ridiculously happy to have gotten an offer! what are you studying?
Well Devonshire has a bar and rooms similar to JB... best of both worlds ? (Im very bias)
Original post by Tanith44

The Tannery
I was really looking forward to seeing the tannery cause it's so close for the medical school, but it was quite a let down to be honest.
The area wasn't the nicest, a busy road, a "dodgy pub" as my mum put it and it's in the west side of Leeds which my Dad said isn;t the best bit.
I did like the fact it had a Nisa underneath haha, and the Sentinel is opposite so there would be lots of students in the area.
The common room was okay, just some settees and a telly, with a bit of an overused dart board. It was kinda empty but I'm sure it would be a bit more lively / fun looking with some people in it.
The bedrooms were nice, large with new furnishings, and the bathrooms were very clean and new. The kitchens weren't as nice as the ones in Clarence Dock, but fine :smile: (no recycling bins as someone else put!)
The thing which put me off the Tannery the most was the atmosphere. It all felt kinda unwelcoming, and I really couldn't imagine myself living there.
Also I seem to remember everything being quite dark and cold, but I'm not sure if I've just added that to my memory haha!

I'm so glad that somebody else feels the same way that I do about the Tannery. I've seen so many people raving about it on here and I was beginning to think that I was just being incredibly fussy. The atmosphere, for me, was just really not appealing and I can't see myself living there at all. And it isn't just you who thought it was cold and dark :tongue:

That was really helpful though, so thanks :smile: I (stupidly) only chose to see three halls so it's nice to hear opinions on the others. Currently deciding between Clarence Dock and Leodis (still), since the 50% chance of getting JPB is really off-putting :frown:
Original post by Xabi17
I might be doing a year out in between 2 and 3 either abroad or with industrial experience, so I'll still be 4 years :biggrin:

If you make me gravy and serve it to me with chips (not french fries) then you immediately get upgraded from :king3: to :king2:

The only way you can get :king1: is by giving me KFC gravy.

Oh my God. Oh. My. God. :adore:

But enough about KFC gravy, it's bad for you and I'm supposed to be a healthy medical type student :ashamed2:

And then you could do a masters and we'll be even bruvva! :gah:

Right. So before I get any notes out of you, we have to go to KFC. There's one activity of fresher's week sorted. :pierre: :tongue:

No no! Medical students are allowed to spend the studying part doing as they please before they are officially role models for the rest of the nation (or even internationally :afraid:).
Original post by Tanith44
Yes tbh I think every single place has a downside, it just how much that down side bothers you :/
I think I was my high hopes for the Tannery, I just don't like that tower block feeling, I prefer things a bit more spread out and closer to the ground haha
Ah Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: Ridiculously happy to have gotten an offer! what are you studying?
Well Devonshire has a bar and rooms similar to JB... best of both worlds ? (Im very bias)

Tanith. :five: :hi: :nutcase:
Reply 978
I just don't know whether to choose Leodis or Charles Morris.. everyones saying about this council estate near leodis and I didnt really look or atleast I didnt notice it, all I can remember is the hill on the way down :frown: I wish i noticed more things! I'm gonna google it soon :smile:

I like Leodis but I like charles morris and it being on campus :frown: Does anyone know if charles morris is mostly internationals? cos they were all I saw there on the open day?
Reply 979
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
And then you could do a masters and we'll be even bruvva! :gah:

Right. So before I get any notes out of you, we have to go to KFC. There's one activity of fresher's week sorted. :pierre: :tongue:

No no! Medical students are allowed to spend the studying part doing as they please before they are officially role models for the rest of the nation (or even internationally :afraid:).

I'm trying to think, I haven't seen one in Leeds yet. Wonder where it is.

See how the job market is before thinking about post grad I think. :biggrin:

Latest