The Student Room Group

China to surpass USA in scientific research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sixthformer
Listen, i hate the american governments, and am fully justified to do so. I like Obama though.

However, you know my reasons, from the blowing up of hiroshima murdering over 200,000 ATLEAST if not considerably more with nuclear bombs, to the illegal invasion of IRAQ, and putting saddam in power...

China may or may not be a good thing, but america's history goes against them.

You need China to neutralise America, and vice versa. One country should not think it's all that / powerfull, it should be wary if he violates human rights ect, it will be dealt with lol.

The world is currently unstable.

You're speaking on pure speculation that China would attack it's neighbours, wheter it is true or not, you show irrational love for american crimes, denying everything.

i know how to see if someone genuinly believes something, or will argue for lies.

i do not hate american people, i have no right to

i hate their governments, and history is on my side.

Might want to read up on the Great Leap Forward, the situation with Taiwan and the Uighur people of Xinjiang. Irrational and denial... two things you of all people shouldn't speak about.
Reply 21
between 150 -270k people, check google, not american times:P

ok secondly, pearl harbour may not have been a hoax, but , i know well that the attacks, if there were any, WERE MERE exuses to go murder people/destablise a 'threat' country...

don't take anything to face value...i have quotes of american officials in charge saying things you may not want to know

Actually I am going by wiki. Different sources will have different numbers because its almost impossible to get accurate numbers for these things. Look at the Holocaust numbers range from 2million to 13.

No they were not. Japan launched the attacks because they knew America would challenge their dominance in the Pacific. The attacks were meant to take out the carriers so America would not be able to fight the Japanese navy.

So show these quotes.
Original post by thisisnew
Might want to read up on the Great Leap Forward, the situation with Taiwan and the Uighur people of Xinjiang. Irrational and denial... two things you of all people shouldn't speak about.

You don't attack my arguments, you attack me instead.

If i can help you with something, if i have wronged you, please tell me in what way?

My arguments are swung to condeming opressers, and defending basic human rights, wheter or not i am insulted.
Original post by Aj12
Actually I am going by wiki. Different sources will have different numbers because its almost impossible to get accurate numbers for these things. Look at the Holocaust numbers range from 2million to 13.

No they were not. Japan launched the attacks because they knew America would challenge their dominance in the Pacific. The attacks were meant to take out the carriers so America would not be able to fight the Japanese navy.

So show these quotes.

6million people

atleast, a bare bare minimum 1 million people were brutally murdered.

it's much more tbh

16 is an utter lie,

anything under 1million is a lie too
Listen, i hate the american governments, and am fully justified to do so. I like Obama though.

I'm not sure how you can hate the american government and like obama when he is the leader of the government.

What do you like about him anyway? His foreign policy seems to be the same or worse than all his predecessors. Gitmo is still open, he decided to continue with the controversial patriot act. He has continued the wars in the middle east and started another one, he's still doing warrantless wiretaps of US citizens. He even went a step beyond anything Bush did and now has the right to assassinate US citizens on foreign soil. I'm not really seeing any change here, what am I missing? :confused:
I'm surprised they haven't already tbh.
Original post by Aj12
I don't understand how you can measure scientific output.

Well, they already do between institutions. I personally question how accurate it can be, but there are standardized ways of measuring it.
So what?

Science benefits everyone.
China is, and always will be an oppressive state in my books. No offence to Chinese people, I just think the Chinese government has a dirty history behind - Tienanmen Square and all that.

I bet my post is going to be silenced for stating that! :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
So, nearly every country has a dirty history behind, what about the time when europe colonized large parts of Africa and started the slave trade, or when the British empire invaded China because they didn't want to buy Opium. The communist party of China would not have been created if it wasn't for foreign invasion. Full stop.
between 150 -270k people, check google, not american times:P

ok secondly, pearl harbour may not have been a hoax, but , i know well that the attacks, if there were any, WERE MERE exuses to go murder people/destablise a 'threat' country...

Pearl Harbour wasn't a hoax. Who has ever said it was a hoax? How do you fake loads of destroyed and sunken warships, hundreds of dead people, and a Japanese carrier group?

don't take anything to face value...i have quotes of american officials in charge saying things you may not want to know

Oh of course you do sunshine. And I have quotes from your doctor that proves you are a nutcase.
Original post by Jedbrien
So, nearly every country has a dirty history behind, what about the time when europe colonized large parts of Africa and started the slave trade, or when the British empire invaded China because they didn't want to buy Opium. The communist party of China would not have been created if it wasn't for foreign invasion. Full stop.

Repped
You don't attack my arguments, you attack me instead.

If i can help you with something, if i have wronged you, please tell me in what way?

My arguments are swung to condeming opressers, and defending basic human rights, wheter or not i am insulted.

I "attacked" your argument with the first part of my reply. It's strange how you claim to be a defender of human rights but you're more than willing to overlook horrific abuses so as long as the party in question "opposes" America and co.
Reply 33
Original post by thisisnew
I "attacked" your argument with the first part of my reply. It's strange how you claim to be a defender of human rights but you're more than willing to overlook horrific abuses so as long as the party in question "opposes" America and co.

Your wasting your time on this one.
Reply 34
Original post by Joinedup
within 2 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12885271

whereas last year it was going to take them 10 years to catch up with the USA.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7ef3097e-09da-11df-8b23-00144feabdc0.html

no doubt next year they'll look again and find it actually happened last week... and there's nothing wrong with that

I for one salute our new benevolent imperial overlords :afraid:

This is highly significative.

Today, most scientific papers are written in...English. It allow researcher from differents countries to access and assess the research done worldwide. It means also that funds (from which depend the research) are more likely to be allocated to a researchers that publish in this language (they are more likely to be cited and thus to gain in respectability). This also mean that ideas, philosophies, etc.. that are more likely to gain acceptance are the one propagated by the west. On the other hand, if the Chinese take over, in one or two generation, most papers written by non-Chinese researchers are going to be written/translated in Chinese. The balance of power is going to shift to the East.

The second thing interesting is that the idea that only Democracies could create the conditions for a successful economy and a successful creative atmosphere is looking increasingly refuted.
Reply 35
Original post by Mannix99
This is highly significative.

Today, most scientific papers are written in...English. It allow researcher from differents countries to access and assess the research done worldwide. It means also that funds (from which depend the research) are more likely to be allocated to a researchers that publish in this language (they are more likely to be cited and thus to gain in respectability). This also mean that ideas, philosophies, etc.. that are more likely to gain acceptance are the one propagated by the west. On the other hand, if the Chinese take over, in one or two generation, most papers written by non-Chinese researchers are going to be written/translated in Chinese. The balance of power is going to shift to the East.

The second thing interesting is that the idea that only Democracies could create the conditions for a successful economy and a successful creative atmosphere is looking increasingly refuted.

If anything I would say a democracy could hinder an economy far more as long as the dictatorship is not oppressive (overly so). Anyway over the next 10 to 30 years we will have to see some democratic reform in China other wise we may well see mass civil unrest.
Reply 36
They should cooperate more
Reply 37
Standard sequence of responses for a thread of this nature.

- No they're not. They're structurally insufficient (human rights, economy is going to go down as quickly as it came up, bubble will burst etc), they would never overtake the USA!
- China are predisposed to become the next superpower etc etc etc, present evidence etc etc etc.
-Maybe there will be a war? But we'd all get wiped out... But the EU?! IF WE JOIN THE EU THEN WE WON'T NEED THE USA ANYMORE GUISE SO WE MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE! etc etc etc

Doesn't the same hypothesising get a bit boring?
Reply 38
Original post by Aj12
If anything I would say a democracy could hinder an economy far more as long as the dictatorship is not oppressive (overly so). Anyway over the next 10 to 30 years we will have to see some democratic reform in China other wise we may well see mass civil unrest.

I would say that if we don't see mass civil unrest it's because China is NOT a democracy. China is not ONE country but an empire governing over several smaller countries. If China were to lessen its grip, all these little countries would ask for independence and it would end like in Ex-Yougoslavia with a genocide. Or at the very best, it would become like for Russia vs Tchechenia.
Reply 39
Original post by Aj12

You're assuming all the people want representative democracy. You're just speculating based on factions of minority groups that happen to get a lot of coverage because they are in line with western ideology. In many ways they are democratising over there slowly, but for a country of its nature, i don't think democracy is right for now and neither do the people in my opinion. There is such a thing as indoctrination, and they are heavily indoctrinated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending