The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to be proud of where I come from..RANT..controversial maybe...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No one is obliging you to be proud or ashamed of where you come from. Most people will just find it completely irrelevant to their interactions with you.
Reply 21
Go listen to Maa Tujhe Salam by A R Rahman and try and focus on the positives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYgTeAFgfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLOaDrD65Z4
Reply 22
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
http://www.twocircles.net/2008aug28/india_not_secular_state_dr_omar_khalidi.html -shows that it isn't secular. also, in sociology last year we were looking into why it isn't secularisng even though it is globalising. i should know, i got an A in the exam :tongue:

I should know, I live in India and have friends from all religions. Our prime minister is a Sikh, the leader of the ruling party is a Roman Catholic and our ex-president was Muslim.
Original post by kalaghoda

5.) The people and their lack of manners: Indians are rude. Inherently rude. They believe that everything they do is correct and no one can be better than them. Most Indians lack basic manners, they will litter, spit, scratch their balls, pick their noses in public. Even in sporting events, such as cricket matches(because cricket is the only ****ing game we play), Indians will never applaud an opponent's hundred or if an opponent takes 5 wickets.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now what exactly is wrong, pray tell us, with a nice public ball scratch? :angry:
Reply 24
Pakistan ftw? :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by Addzter
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Now what exactly is wrong, pray tell us, with a nice public ball scratch? :angry:

I hope you're joking. There are some guys who do it even in front of women.
I hope you're joking. There are some guys who do it even in front of women.

Hey, if my nads are itchy, I'm going to soothe them, whether I'm in front of a woman or not. :angry:

Let's say you got really itchy tits in public, and you couldn't bear to go another second without scratching them, and you knew it would be a while before you could be on your own. Surely you'd give them a jiggle and a scratch, no matter who's around you?
Reply 27
at least you don't have small penises, oh wait...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6161691.stm

I should know, I live in India and have friends from all religions. Our prime minister is a Sikh, the leader of the ruling party is a Roman Catholic and our ex-president was Muslim.

secularism is a decline in religious thinking, practice and participation. from what i see this is a country becoming multi religious due to its mix of diverse ethnic people?
Reply 29
Original post by Addzter
Hey, if my nads are itchy, I'm going to soothe them, whether I'm in front of a woman or not. :angry:

Let's say you got really itchy tits in public, and you couldn't bear to go another second without scratching them, and you knew it would be a while before you could be on your own. Surely you'd give them a jiggle and a scratch, no matter who's around you?

I am male without moobs..
Reply 30
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
secularism is a decline in religious thinking, practice and participation. from what i see this is a country becoming multi religious due to its mix of diverse ethnic people?

Is that the meaning of seculiarism? I thought seculiarism meant tolerance of all relgions. Ah anyway, the country was always multi-religious.
I am male without moobs..

Right, well substitute 'tits' for 'balls'.
Reply 32
Is that the meaning of seculiarism? I thought seculiarism meant tolerance of all relgions. Ah anyway, the country was always multi-religious.

Oh and we have had a bit of anti-Sikh riots in the 80's and the recent Hindu-Muslim thing, but on the whole, we've handled the whole multi-religious thing pretty well.
I could have written the OP myself! I've lived in the UK for the last 4 years now which really opened my eyes to the number of faults my own country had. As much as I am proud that we are independent of the British rule a part of me wonders if we would have been better off today still as a British colony. Most of the Indians I meet who are living here in the UK judge me for talking about my country the way I do and that annoys me so much because they themselves are living so far removed from it all. People who look at India's stock markets and say that India is shinning need to go and live in the country for 6 months!
Reply 34
Original post by Addzter
Right, well substitute 'tits' for 'balls'.

This is going really off-topic now.
Reply 35
Original post by alleycat393
I could have written the OP myself! I've lived in the UK for the last 4 years now which really opened my eyes to the number of faults my own country had. As much as I am proud that we are independent of the British rule a part of me wonders if we would have been better off today still as a British colony. Most of the Indians I meet who are living here in the UK judge me for talking about my country the way I do and that annoys me so much because they themselves are living so far removed from it all. People who look at India's stock markets and say that India is shinning need to go and live in the country for 6 months!

I want to marry you :smile:

But on a serious note, thank you so much. And it's not like you're not proud to be an Indian and don't love your country yeah? I mean, I love India(super pumped for the match tomorrow btw) and would defend my country if need be, but there are major faults here and someone needs to speak out against them.
at least you have good weed tho

And it's not like you're not proud to be an Indian and don't love your country yeah? I mean, I love India(super pumped for the match tomorrow btw) and would defend my country if need be, but there are major faults here and someone needs to speak out against them.

Yeah well like you said before no matter where I am or what I'm doing I'll always be Indian. Not sure of how proud I am of being Indian-I feel ashamed sometimes of the kinds of things that my fellow Indians get up to-but I am Indian and always will be.
Hello! Firstly I wanted to say that I completely agree with everything you said. I was born in India and currently live in the UK, but I go back there every year to visit my relatives, and I don't want to say.. but I really hate it. :frown:

1.) Economy is growing, but poverty seems to be rampant: 40% of Indians live below the poverty line. They don't have access to one square meal per day. It's a classic case of the 'rich get richer, the poor get poorer'. No one cares about poor people in India. Poor people are born poor and they die poor, they have no aspirations and they are not allowed to.

The amount of poverty in India is ridiculous. I always feel so uncomfortable when I walk down the streets in India and see homeless people everywhere - what's even worse is when I will sometimes give money to the poor who are sitting at the corner of the streets and get told by my cousins that it's pointless give away your money and that these people don't deserve it.

3.) Overcrowded: India is way too overcrowded. The streets are brimming with traffic, most of it unorderly. People do not know how to drive here, quite a few people get 'fake' driving licenses and as a result, the accident rate is high.

Don't get me started on the driving! Everytime I am in India I fear for my life - there are horns everywhere and there are literally no rules on the road - it's all about pushing and shoving in order to get to where you want. It makes me very grateful when I finally get back to the UK and don't have to worry about getting into a taxi and being overcharged.

Indians are extremely racist as well. They are real hypocrites. You just have to turn on the television in India and you'll be bombarded with 'Fair and Lovely' commercials, Fair & Lovely being a cream or lotion or something like that which makes your skin fairer. I mean, WHAT THE ****? On the one hand, we say we're proud to be Indian blah blah blah, yet on the other hand we want to become fairer because 'fair is good'??? We need to have a look at ourselves. There is tremendous regionalism in India. People from one part of India widely discriminate against people from other parts. We go abroad and do the same things. Expect others to follow our 'customs'. It's bull**** and no wonder that quite a few foreigners hate us Indians.

I've noticed this with my own family and it really is disgusting. I'm from north India so I'm quite fair skinned and I've always been told by my cousins, uncles and aunts how lucky I am that I have a nice skin colour, and that I'm not from somewhere "horrible like south India". The type of racist things I've heard my relatives say has been shocking - they really do seem to think that the paler you are, the more beautiful you are. They've even told me that they would probably never speak to me again if I married anyone from south India - but someone from the UK would be perfect for me.. :mad:

Anyway.. I just needed to say something, because I've never really heard another Indian rant like that - mostly they talk about what an amazing country it is and how fast it's growing, but everytime I go there, the only thing I look forward to is leaving it as soon as possible.
Reply 39
Original post by Anonymous
Hello! Firstly I wanted to say that I completely agree with everything you said. I was born in India and currently live in the UK, but I go back there every year to visit my relatives, and I don't want to say.. but I really hate it. :frown:

The amount of poverty in India is ridiculous. I always feel so uncomfortable when I walk down the streets in India and see homeless people everywhere - what's even worse is when I will sometimes give money to the poor who are sitting at the corner of the streets and get told by my cousins that it's pointless give away your money and that these people don't deserve it.

Don't get me started on the driving! Everytime I am in India I fear for my life - there are horns everywhere and there are literally no rules on the road - it's all about pushing and shoving in order to get to where you want. It makes me very grateful when I finally get back to the UK and don't have to worry about getting into a taxi and being overcharged.

I've noticed this with my own family and it really is disgusting. I'm from north India so I'm quite fair skinned and I've always been told by my cousins, uncles and aunts how lucky I am that I have a nice skin colour, and that I'm not from somewhere "horrible like south India". The type of racist things I've heard my relatives say has been shocking - they really do seem to think that the paler you are, the more beautiful you are. They've even told me that they would probably never speak to me again if I married anyone from south India - but someone from the UK would be perfect for me.. :mad:

Anyway.. I just needed to say something, because I've never really heard another Indian rant like that - mostly they talk about what an amazing country it is and how fast it's growing, but everytime I go there, the only thing I look forward to is leaving it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your support. However, unlike you, I do think India is an amazing country, but there are serious problems which will never allow it to progress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending