The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by winter_fairy
UCAS officially done for me (phew) Good luck to who is still waiting, deciding or those with exams coming.

Just out of interest what made you choose the course you're going on, I am thinking of applying to that next year because it looks more interesting than straight economics, but I'm just worried that it won't be regarded as highly as straight economics...
Original post by tateco
You should never rely on an offer from somewhere so volatile. Where else did you apply?

City, Brunel and Royal holloway.
And QM isnt volatile, the area around it definitley is and you can get a good degree from them at the end of the day. I had to stick to London and as my prediction is only AAB, but hopefully adjustment will help me out and get me into SOAS maybe :/. Plus you should research your options like Kent is good at economics but require ABB at the moment :s
Original post by Iqbal007
And QM isnt volatile, the area around it definitley is and you can get a good degree from them at the end of the day. I had to stick to London and as my prediction is only AAB, but hopefully adjustment will help me out and get me into SOAS maybe :/. Plus you should research your options like Kent is good at economics but require ABB at the moment :s

He meant LSE is volatile.
Reply 2163
Original post by Iqbal007

I meant LSE as the volatile option
LSE rejection this afternoon :frown:
Original post by tateco
Just out of interest what made you choose the course you're going on, I am thinking of applying to that next year because it looks more interesting than straight economics, but I'm just worried that it won't be regarded as highly as straight economics...

For me prestige wasn't of primary importance as I'm thinking of continuing with a masters rather than try to find a full time job with a BSc only. And after all, it's a highly regarded uni and a good course too.
In other terms, it appealed more to me than straight economics firstly as there are several interesting modules available exclusively for L124, and it's more quantitive too imo. And lastly, there's the finance bit which is useful if you're thinkng about going in that sphere, which I might do (actually, I hesitated between this and Econ+Finance but chose this in the end as it has more maths involved)
I think you should always apply for the course you like best. Take a look at York's site, there's some pretty good info on courses outline and structure which might help. Once I get there in the autumn I could tell you more about the uni and the course :wink:

Good luck with you app :smile:
Original post by Glen_Nichols

ohhh
Original post by tateco
I meant LSE as the volatile option

I know but LSE is worthwhile at the end of the day
Reply 2168
Original post by winter_fairy
For me prestige wasn't of primary importance as I'm thinking of continuing with a masters rather than try to find a full time job with a BSc only. And after all, it's a highly regarded uni and a good course too.
In other terms, it appealed more to me than straight economics firstly as there are several interesting modules available exclusively for L124, and it's more quantitive too imo. And lastly, there's the finance bit which is useful if you're thinkng about going in that sphere, which I might do (actually, I hesitated between this and Econ+Finance but chose this in the end as it has more maths involved)
I think you should always apply for the course you like best. Take a look at York's site, there's some pretty good info on courses outline and structure which might help. Once I get there in the autumn I could tell you more about the uni and the course :wink:

Good luck with you app :smile:

That's really interesting thank you :smile:

I think it is a good idea especially for masters as apparently it's important to do as much maths/econometrics as you can, and the finance bit would just be really interesting I think, where else did you apply and did you get many more offers? :smile:
Reply 2169
Original post by lemonade789

Sorry to hear that, you have such good grades as well! Very worrying
Original post by lemonade789

I feel sorry for you, i had the same feeling like you. Plus you got very good academic background how did u get rejected :s-smilie: Did u think of Kent or SOAS?
Original post by mlsdbk
haha yeeyyy! which college? did you like the open day if you went! i'm at Aidan's! it was amaaazing!

Trevelyan college :smile: yeah I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go there just gotta get those 3 A's now
Reply 2172
Original post by Glen_Nichols

Why do you think you got in to Bristol when so many others didn't? It looks really really good but it is such a small department and I don't know whether I'd get on :/
Reply 2173
Original post by tateco
Why do you think you got in to Bristol when so many others didn't? It looks really really good but it is such a small department and I don't know whether I'd get on :/

what do you mean get on? and being a small department isn't always bad, it looks pretty good imo.
Original post by Wezzler
what do you mean get on? and being a small department isn't always bad, it looks pretty good imo.

I think he means it would be a risky choice. Being a small department means that Bristol can afford to be selective.
Reply 2175
Original post by Wezzler

I think it looks fantastic, but it makes it all the more competitive, I can't believe there is like 20 applicants for every place at Bristol, it's insane
Reply 2176
Original post by Ray_Han
I think he means it would be a risky choice. Being a small department means that Bristol can afford to be selective.

only the very best get in :tongue:
Reply 2177
Original post by Wezzler
only the very best get in :tongue:

I wouldn't say that's strictly true, I think they make more realistic offers (people who are likely to accept them and get the grades and be good enough for the course), hence why they reject a lot of candidates of obvious oxbridge standard
Reply 2178
Original post by Wasnerello
Trevelyan college :smile: yeah I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go there just gotta get those 3 A's now

same can't wait!!! just have to get the grades! hopefully we'll be fine :smile: good luck with everything! x
Original post by tateco
That's really interesting thank you :smile:

I think it is a good idea especially for masters as apparently it's important to do as much maths/econometrics as you can, and the finance bit would just be really interesting I think, where else did you apply and did you get many more offers? :smile:

I agree :wink:
I applied to Oxford much due to my parents, teachers etc wanting me to take a shot as I have really good grades. But I neither wanted to go there, nor was I accepted :biggrin: :biggrin: My top choice was always Bath, but I didn't get in unfortunately, as they had some really hard competition this year (it was L100 there).
Apart from that I got unconditionals from York, Loughborough and Durham.

Latest

Trending

Trending