The Student Room Group

What makes a chav?

What classes somebody as a Chav? Is it one thing or a list of several things?

Please give examples of chavy people.
Reply 1
Original post by ben_smith
What classes somebody as a Chav? Is it one thing or a list of several things?

Please give examples of chavy people.

For what purpose do you want to know? And who cares what a bunch of kids on a student forum think about 'what makes a chav'?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2

Also the bright coloured polo t-shirts and comb overs
Reply 3
Are you a chav?
Reply 4
I find the use of the word chav extremely odious.

In my opinion, it tends only to be the thickest, most insecure and dull-minded people who use it as derogatory word. It's actually quite pathetic. It's a word for people who desperately want to be middle class, a sort of reassuring mechanism. It's textbook stuff, you feel threatened in your own image, so you look for somebody else who's an easy target to make you feel better about yourself. People who use it are no different to the average school yard bully.

Grow up, OP.
Reply 5
Original post by Teveth
I find the use of the word chav extremely odious.

In my opinion, it tends only to be the thickest, most insecure and dull-minded people who use it as derogatory word. It's actually quite pathetic. It's a word for people who desperately want to be middle class, a sort of reassuring mechanism. It's textbook stuff, you feel threatened in your own image, so you look for somebody else who's an easy target to make you feel better about yourself. People who use it are no different to the average school yard bully.

Grow up, OP.

....looks like we have some chavs on here! :rolleyes:
Many people on these forums will be chavs who won't admit it. This is because chavvish behaviour includes getting trashed, acting tough, being slutty etc. These are all characteristics of many people on TSR as they have proven themselves in various threads.
Reply 7
....looks like we have some chavs on here! :rolleyes:

Does it? Go on...
Reply 8
Original post by Teveth
Does it? Go on...

....well I was hoping you could tell me?
Reply 9
....well I was hoping you could tell me?

Tell you what?

I've already told you quite a bit. A bit about the stupidity and childishness of the use of word 'chav'. What else would you like to know?
Reply 10
Original post by Teveth
Tell you what?

I've already told you quite a bit. A bit about the stupidity and childishness of the use of word 'chav'. What else would you like to know?

you make it sound like a swear word.
Who is it that they call chavs? Or do they just pick on any random people....
could they call someone one from the royal family a chav...say if they do not like them.
Reply 11
you make it sound like a swear word.
Who is it that they call chavs? Or do they just pick on any random people....
could they call someone one from the royal family a chav...say if they do not like them.

It tends to be directed at people of a presumed lower socio-economic class. Certain styles of clothing (sportswear, overt jewellery etc.) and manners of speech are often hallmarks of the stereotype.

Quick Reply

Latest