The Student Room Group

Would you learn with this instructor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Annie72
In all honesty it wouldnt matter to me.In fact if I lived near to you I would go to you if and when I choose to re start my driving lessons.The fact that some if your students havent come back , imo, shows how narrow minded they are.I'm sure your gender plays no part in your ability to teach people to drive.Dont give up something you want to do.

Having a preference for a driving instructor isn't being narrow minded :wink:
I honestly can't say if it would affect me or not until i actually had a lesson with you, but from what i've seen on here you sound like a really good instructor
Reply 42
Original post by FXX
Having a preference for a driving instructor isn't being narrow minded :wink:

I meant they are narrow minded if they reject anymore lessons with Emma purely because she is a transexual.
Just wanted to say don't give up Emma! If my instructor was transsexual I wouldn't be put off. All that really matters is if they're patient, helpful and good at teaching me to drive. I hope you find more people who are of a similar opinion!
Reply 44
I would be curious about your life (because i'm a nosy cow), but it wouldn't put me off and I wouldn't stop having lessons with you. I would have felt the same 10 years ago when I was 17 too. But then I am very liberal. One of my driving instructors is also thinking of quitting due to a lack of pupils, maybe it isn't as personal as you think?

Good luck anyway, its horrible to feel that something so personal is holding your career back.
Reply 45
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

So the question is simple. What would your reaction be?

Please be honest - I'm sure you will be.

Thanks

Emma

No,tbh, I don't think your sexuality would deter me from learning to drive with you providing i feel i'm learning at a reasonable pace, having fun, and learning I wouldn't think twice whether your gay or not, that wouldn't even have to come into it.

Maybe try offering your lessons in new places
I wouldn't mind at all - a good teacher is a good teacher. 17 odd year olds are often still immature and narrow minded about things like this.
Reply 47
Being transsexual shouldn't make a difference. But in reality, it will. So, turn it to your advantage. Have you considered targeting a slightly different demographic? For example, at most universities there will be LGBT societies and the like. I see you're in Rochester, so you probably cover the Kent Uni area?

If so, look here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2225524370

296 members. I'd say a fair few of them don't have their license yet. Get in contact with that society via Facebook and offer them some sort of deal/referral scheme. I'm sure you could pick up plenty of business this way and through word of mouth. I'm sure lots of LGBT people would prefer to learn with somebody like you, as they know you're not going to be judgemental. Your sexuality is currently detrimental to your career - you could turn it into a positive...
Reply 48
Original post by Sync
Being transsexual shouldn't make a difference. But in reality, it will. So, turn it to your advantage. Have you considered targeting a slightly different demographic? For example, at most universities there will be LGBT societies and the like. I see you're in Rochester, so you probably cover the Kent Uni area?

If so, look here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2225524370

296 members. I'd say a fair few of them don't have their license yet. Get in contact with that society via Facebook and offer them some sort of deal/referral scheme. I'm sure you could pick up plenty of business this way and through word of mouth. I'm sure lots of LGBT people would prefer to learn with somebody like you, as they know you're not going to be judgemental. Your sexuality is currently detrimental to your career - you could turn it into a positive...

Nice....!
Reply 49
Original post by gbduo
Nice....!

I'm full of good ideas me.
Reply 50
Original post by Sync
I'm full of good ideas me.

Clearly!
I wouldn't care! As long as you were a good instructor and the lessons weren't too expensive :smile:.
Reply 52
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
They changed their minds on who they wanted to instruct them just as you changed your mind on what gender you wanted to be.

Honestly, I personally would be feel uncomfortable with it. Nothing to do with you, more to do with the fact that I'm a firm believer that we should stay as nature intended and not cosmetically alter our bodies in anyway. However, you chose to do so, and that is your own independent choice, which I respect.

Its probably more to do with the economic climate and the fact that companies such as BSM are offering deals plus they are well known, so most people will go with the obvious reputable company.

I certainly wouldn't go to these pathetic extremes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020767/Muslim-man-threatens-sue-driving-school-sending-transsexual-instructor-teach-wife.html

Its hilarious that that is one of the Driving schools of my home town.
Hi All

Oh lol. Its a sad reflection on peoples prejudice that you even have to post this. Id never have any issues with any transgender person instructing me at all. I dont expect any person to sexually abuse me in a car so i have no clue why anybody would be prejudiced enough to even think so.

I think my instructor was a smack addict, he was always gaunt and really chill :P

Still liked him loads, and he was a good guy.
Reply 54
This wouldnt bother me in the slightest... dont give up! From all the advice you have offered on here, and the great advice you gave me on bay parking, you are obviously great at your job!!

Stick at it Emma!
Reply 55
I don't mean to sound rude or offensive but learning to drive takes a great deal of concentration to crack it well and if I had you as a driving instructor it would be something that would be on my mind whilst I was learning, not in a bad way but it would act as something of a distraction. I think it may effect my driving standard and would feel obligated to seek lessons elsewhere...apologies :/
Reply 56
Hi All,

I've been a contributor here for a while now and have tried to help out where I can both publicly and privately. It has been very satisfying to see some people move on in their driving career.

I now need to ask you for your comments and I hope the moderators will consider that this is still a driving question and not move it somewhere away from the target audience.

I am struggling at the moment, personally (not something for divulging here) and professionally, as an instructor. I don't have a lot of business and this week I have actually had more people cancel than have lessons. Some of these have been new pupils who, for their own reasons, have simply not materialised. My drop-out rate has been very high right from when I started in this business and I think I know why.

I am transsexual. I don't think it should make any difference but I am now beginning to wonder whether it does. So many times I have first lessons with people for them never to return. Sometimes I book lessons with new pupils, only for them not to even turn up. I look okay on the whole but my voice is deeper than it should be and it lets me down, particularly on the phone. In terms of instruction, I think I am pretty good and some pupils have remained loyal. However, it doesn't change the fact that something is causing many people to either not turn up or cancel.

Due to the lack of business I am now seriously considering giving up a profession that I love, much to my huge regret.

So the question is simple. What would your reaction be?

Please be honest - I'm sure you will be.

Thanks

Emma

dont give up - no offense but you will get that kind of prejudice in every profession if you are a tran

i will be honest. if i booked a lesson with a small firm and first lesson turned out to be with a tranny, i would feel very scared that they would drive me somewhere remote and molest me or kill me or grope me or something. though im thinking of an obvious tranny like a dude with beard stubble wearing a wig, skirt and tights. if i barely noticed, i prob wouldnt think twice

if they were a conservative, normal looking person (looks like either a man or woman not both) with BSM or a good reputable school despite being a tranny, i would think, they must be quite good and safe and everything to be with BSM, so i wouldnt care at all. it would be a bit weird if i knew they were a tran, but if it is barely noticable i wouldnt mind and wouldnt realyl think about it.

tbh if you are good at what you do, i would think the risk of students dropping out is lower if you are with a safe and reputable driving school like bsm, where most kids (wrongly?) assume all instructors are vetted screened and interviewd to make sure they arent paedos or serial killers.

im sorry but this is my true opinion. there was a really nice tranny that used to work in my local charity shop, but whenever we went in there, me and my mates would be too scared to go in the changing room. the tranny was basically a dude, with square jaw, deep voice, blond wig, long skirt, stubble and lipstick. s/he was getting hormone treatment at the local hosp and was very nice and everything, but just a man-woman. in this society, you can only be one not both. im being honest.

so yeah, in conclusion, the reaction is inevitable. to minimise dropouts , go to a good school and dress conservative - long skirt or trousers, not too much makeup and no beard stubble.

EDIT: my views arent to to with anti-tranny or people should stay as they are etc, but rather i wuold worry that the guy is a perv of some sort
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shinytoy
:blah:

So, just because someone dresses smartly, acts 'conservative' and appears to be reasonably 'normal' on the surface of things, there's no chance of them being a total psychopath beneath all that? I'm just curious.

On topic: I wouldn't be put off at all by having a transsexual / transgender driving instructor, so long as they were teaching me the materials I needed to know and patient with me if I made mistakes. Keep doing the job you love Emma and, as other people have suggested, perhaps target a more niche market if you're struggling at the moment. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by shinytoy
dont give up - no offense but you will get that kind of prejudice in every profession if you are a tran

i will be honest. if i booked a lesson with a small firm and first lesson turned out to be with a tranny, i would feel very scared that they would drive me somewhere remote and molest me or kill me or grope me or something. though im thinking of an obvious tranny like a dude with beard stubble wearing a wig, skirt and tights. if i barely noticed, i prob wouldnt think twice

if they were a conservative, normal looking person (looks like either a man or woman not both) with BSM or a good reputable school despite being a tranny, i would think, they must be quite good and safe and everything to be with BSM, so i wouldnt care at all. it would be a bit weird if i knew they were a tran, but if it is barely noticable i wouldnt mind and wouldnt realyl think about it.

tbh if you are good at what you do, i would think the risk of students dropping out is lower if you are with a safe and reputable driving school like bsm, where most kids (wrongly?) assume all instructors are vetted screened and interviewd to make sure they arent paedos or serial killers.

im sorry but this is my true opinion. there was a really nice tranny that used to work in my local charity shop, but whenever we went in there, me and my mates would be too scared to go in the changing room. the tranny was basically a dude, with square jaw, deep voice, blond wig, long skirt, stubble and lipstick. s/he was getting hormone treatment at the local hosp and was very nice and everything, but just a man-woman. in this society, you can only be one not both. im being honest.

so yeah, in conclusion, the reaction is inevitable. to minimise dropouts , go to a good school and dress conservative - long skirt or trousers, not too much makeup and no beard stubble.

EDIT: my views arent to to with anti-tranny or people should stay as they are etc, but rather i wuold worry that the guy is a perv of some sort

Why would a transexual person be a pervert?.
Reply 59
I went through 5 driving instructors in Britain when I needed to retake my driving test.

One of those that was rejected was a trans-gen who was recommended to me.... however the reason for rejection was tardiness and the car wasn't too my liking, it was a car I won't be caught dead in, a Citroen Saxo :tongue: It was in the era when all those who were pro-American were told to reject anything French :biggrin:

Anyway I doubt it's really a sexual orientation issue in question.... might be due to a communication issue.

Sometimes it could also be that it is the parents of the 17 year old that tells them to find another instructor if they have such prejudices.

My advice would be to join a driving school chain such as BSM or AA...... people may not accept you as what you are but they will accept you for the place you're affiliated to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending