The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just saw my Bath and Southampton offers.

Received all 5 offers! (:
Making a decision for insurance is so hard. Ah, so happy tho!
Original post by tateco
Why do you think you got in to Bristol when so many others didn't? It looks really really good but it is such a small department and I don't know whether I'd get on :/

Initially I thought the same as you, I think it was 40+ applications per place in 2009.

Judging by the open day (and they had two) I saw maybe 50-70 people in the economics school. I think they've expanded the department by quite a bit.

I like to think further maths AS helped me get in too :biggrin:
Reply 2182
Original post by winter_fairy
I agree :wink:
I applied to Oxford much due to my parents, teachers etc wanting me to take a shot as I have really good grades. But I neither wanted to go there, nor was I accepted :biggrin: :biggrin: My top choice was always Bath, but I didn't get in unfortunately, as they had some really hard competition this year (it was L100 there).
Apart from that I got unconditionals from York, Loughborough and Durham.

You took York over Durham!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tateco
I wouldn't say that's strictly true, I think they make more realistic offers (people who are likely to accept them and get the grades and be good enough for the course), hence why they reject a lot of candidates of obvious oxbridge standard

NO.

Firstly, why reject people who are of 'Oxford standard' and therefore the very best? They could easily be rejected themselves and take Bristol.

Secondly, Bristol also made AAB offers this year for the 'Oxford standard' so I assume they're looking to be the insurance choice for these.
Original post by Wezzler
You took York over Durham!

Anytime. First of all course in York appealed to me more. Secondly, personal preferences vary from person to person - but I really really didn't like Durham (I didn't go to an open day, I visited a friend studying there). Actually "didn't like" is an understatement.
So what's that surprising? That someone doesn't choose a disliked place for uni just because it's regarded as somewhat more prestigious? :rolleyes:
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Initially I thought the same as you, I think it was 40+ applications per place in 2009.

Judging by the open day (and they had two) I saw maybe 50-70 people in the economics school. I think they've expanded the department by quite a bit.

I like to think further maths AS helped me get in too :biggrin:

All undergrad Eco/Finance/Accounting/Management courses have the exact same first year in terms of core modules.

Out of 6 everyone does these compulsory modules:

Intro to Micro
Intro to Macro
Quantitative Methods 1
Quantitative Methods 2

However, most of the courses choose your "optional" modules for you so you cannot change them. For example if you do Eco+Accounting your other 2 modules are Mangerial Finance and Financial Accounting.

However, L100 Economics, Eco+ Econometrics allow you to choose your 2 optional modules in your first year. Eco+ study in continental Europe allows you to choose 1 (as the other has to be a module in the language of the country you will study in , in 3 year.

Also in 2nd year you still share modules with people doing Accounting+xx degrees and such so it's not that small a department.

Therefore although the straight Econ department is pretty small. The whole EFM(Econ+Finance+Managment) department in first year has about 200+ students.
Original post by mintmocha
Just saw my Bath and Southampton offers.

Received all 5 offers! (:
Making a decision for insurance is so hard. Ah, so happy tho!

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what your gcses and predicted grades are like? :smile:
Should I go to Nottingham or Bristol? I've been to both and personally preferred Notts and it's also ranked higher for eco but Bristol is probs a slightly better uni overall.

How does job prospects compare?
Reply 2188
Original post by Glen_Nichols
NO.

Firstly, why reject people who are of 'Oxford standard' and therefore the very best? They could easily be rejected themselves and take Bristol.

Secondly, Bristol also made AAB offers this year for the 'Oxford standard' so I assume they're looking to be the insurance choice for these.

I didn't get an AAB offer...
Original post by Mdawg
I didn't get an AAB offer...

They give offers based on predicted grades, if you are predicted A*AA you get that offer, if you're predicted AAB (A in maths) you get that offer.
Original post by Fishboy13
Should I go to Nottingham or Bristol? I've been to both and personally preferred Notts and it's also ranked higher for eco but Bristol is probs a slightly better uni overall.

How does job prospects compare?

No difference really, pick the place/course you prefer. If I were to go back in time I'd choose Notts over Bristol. But as I didn't visit either it's my fault for making the wrong choice.
Original post by LZRSWRD
No difference really, pick the place/course you prefer. If I were to go back in time I'd choose Notts over Bristol. But as I didn't visit either it's my fault for making the wrong choice.

Can I ask what you don't like about Bristol? :confused:
Reply 2192
Deciding which uni to firm for Economics BSc out of:

Lancaster or Sheffield

Any ideas? I've been to both open days and there isn't much in it as far as personal preference goes - is there any difference in terms of future career opportunities, etc?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by John0601

Lancaster or Sheffield

Any ideas? I've been to both open days and there isn't much as far as personal preference goes, any different in future career opportunities, etc?

Thanks.

Take the cities into account further. Sheffield is probably a much more studenty place and I prefer places like that so I'd choose it. Up to you though.
Reply 2194
Original post by John0601

Lancaster or Sheffield

Any ideas? I've been to both open days and there isn't much as far as personal preference goes, any different in future career opportunities, etc?

Thanks.

Sheffield! I think its better in every way plus i've heard lots of great things from people who went! but up to you off course :smile:
Original post by thegenius31416
Can I ask what you don't like about Bristol? :confused:

Don't like the course structure and just feel the department is a bit unorganised.
Original post by tateco
Sorry to hear that, you have such good grades as well! Very worrying

Original post by Iqbal007
I feel sorry for you, i had the same feeling like you. Plus you got very good academic background how did u get rejected :s-smilie: Did u think of Kent or SOAS?

I honestly wish I knew where I went wrong :frown:
I thought of SOAS, but it didn't appeal that much to me. I live in the same city as the Kent campus and I really want to leave it because I'm a bit bored of living here :smile:
where did you apply?
Original post by lemonade789

I thought of SOAS, but it didn't appeal that much to me. I live in the same city as the Kent campus and I really want to leave it because I'm a bit bored of living here :smile:
where did you apply?

Well i applied for eco at City, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Brunel, they all gave me an offer in a month.
And applied at LSE for eco and eco history, but got rejected.
Its probably your personal statement that went wrong, because academically your fine, try and email these uni's and find out why they rejected you then look at other uni's who may go through adjustment or clearing or extra.
Original post by lemonade789

It was when you applied to econ. screw it
Reply 2199
Can't make my mind up on where to go, it's between

LSE: Management (N203) AAB
Nottingham: Economics (L100) AAA

I know grade wise it would be pretty obvious to firm Nottingham and insurance LSE, however i like both course structure a lot, like both universities so cannot really differentiate. Therefore I guess it's going to have to come down to future prospects and career options. Which do you think is better?

Latest

Trending

Trending