The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is sussex multicultural?

I've heard sussex is predominantly white, what is it like for people who aren't? Do you feel like you fit in?

I'm unsure of whether or not I should go there due to the fact i'm black. I live in a predominantly white area which is fine, but i study in a very multicultural school and have friends of all races which is great, and I don't want to loose that.
(and before you ask no, i'm not at all ghetto).
I don't go to Sussex uni but I live in Sussex and my college is very multicultural. Brighton is famous for its diversity of people, everyone fits in there, whoever they are! I really wouldn't worry about it and certainly wouldn't think it should be a factor stopping you from going to a university. Remember too that there are plenty of international students that go to whatever uni you choose so you're not going to be the only black person :smile:

I hope this helped!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
There's definitely a mix of races here. Probably not as much as in other universities though.
Just because there may be lots of white people, doesn't mean they'll look at you like you have two heads or ignore you because you aren't...

But no, I've had no trouble there.
Reply 4
Omg all white people are so racist.

I asked all of them, honest!
Reply 5
I live in a house, theres 4 of us. me and some guy are all white / english.

one guy is Zimbabwean, and one guy is half Jamaican. I think theres a fair mix of people, but I dont notice people in terms of skin colour really. Who cares :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Chimaira
Omg all white people are so racist.

I asked all of them, honest!

Troll stop being so sensitive, thats not what I said or meant. I just wanted to know if sussex was/wasn't culturally diverse. I don't mind hanging out with white people (a lot of my friends are anyway) I just want to hang out with other races too.
Reply 7
No, you asked if you'd "fit in" because you'd heard it was predominately white. :rolleyes:

I didn't think skin colour mattered to anyone nowadays.. Clearly it does to you.

P.S.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by Chimaira
No, you asked if you'd "fit in" because you'd heard it was predominately white. :rolleyes:

I didn't think skin colour mattered to anyone nowadays.. Clearly it does to you.

P.S.

Spoiler

Nope, it's the other way round I don't care about skin colour, I'm asking if it matters over there. And i'm NOT saying people that don't hang out with other races are racist, I only want to know if people actually mix over there.
I said I lived in a predominantly white area, (thats far away from sussex), and sometimes I do notice a divide. People expect you to be the typical stereotype, and when your not they look at you like your a weirdo. I hate the 'oreo' comment, I hate the fact that because i'm black it's abnormal that I like rock, I hate that i'm quiet when i'm 'supposed' to be loud. I fear that it's because the people here and potentialy over there are not aware of the variety due to the small percentage of other races there. I dunno, maybe i phrased the question the wrong way.
Sorry if my initial question seemed racist/ignorant, maybe I should have expanded a little. But if your going to reply with another sarcastic comment, don't bother because it means you don't understand.

P.S. that video made me lol
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest