The Student Room Group

OxCORT Reports - Are they going to come back to haunt me?

OK so haven't been here for a while but wanted to ask some other Oxonians about oxCORT reports.

I'm in my second year now, and last year I actually did quite well. Unfortunately, I've never really performed well in collections and had some pretty shaky times during term.

Because of this, I have some pretty bad reports on OxCORT. I was just wondering if these are looked at by employers in any way, or looked at by future tutors, or considered when writing references etc. If not, what point do they serve other than to let me know a particular tutors opinion about my work over term?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saro_656
OK so haven't been here for a while but wanted to ask some other Oxonians about oxCORT reports.

I'm in my second year now, and last year I actually did quite well. Unfortunately, I've never really performed well in collections and had some pretty shaky times during term.

Because of this, I have some pretty bad reports on OxCORT. I was just wondering if these are looked at by employers in any way, or looked at by future tutors, or considered when writing references etc. If not, what point do they serve other than to let me know a particular tutors opinion about my work over term?

Cheers

As far as I know, only the tutors from your College have access to OxCORT reports by default. I suppose any tutor could ask for reports when they took students on for teaching but I don't know how often that happens. Tbh, though, it's been obvious from time to time that a "new" tutor had previously discussed us with a college tutor ...

I don't believe that employers would be given access to the reports but I think tutors might use them when writing references.

Have you considered asking for more help from your tutors, or talking to your personal tutor about the problems you have faced? If you need the welfare support network use it, that's what it's there for :smile: Or if the problem is your exam technique in Collections I'm sure that's something your tutors could help with.

Isn't there a bit on OxCORT where you can add your own note in response, or something? Maybe talk to the tutors who gave you bad reports about how you can improve/how you could work through particular academic issues?

Hope you're ok :hugs:
Like Festina says, it would be good to reach out to your tutors and get some support, or some more understanding from them :yes: :hugs: :yes:

I also don't think OxCORT reports can be used against you.

If it helps at all, I had a real mish-mash of collection reports and had some rather nasty ones that were really quite mean about me :sadnod: Also had tons about not reaching my potential, not talking enough, blah blah. I've never seen the references my tutors wrote about me but I got my perfect postgrad place, so people must have good stuff to say me despite my OxCORT reports, grades (appalling transcript, if you don't know the circumstances behind it) and general inability to be vaguely healthy during my undergrad :o:

Don't lose hope :hugs:

Edit: I think the other thing to bear in mind is that people can see past your OxCORT reports. I refused to go to my last Provost's Collection and instead went and saw the Provost privately and wailed at him for a good 90 minutes about how I felt my tutors were against me and didn't like me. The Provost was upset that I felt like this, pointed out the many ways in which there was evidence against this and said that whilst my collection reports had been a bit odd at times, he didn't think I was thick. (Clearly meant he's not as drunk as he appears in collections. Or that he's very good at being attentive whilst pissed :rofl: ) He even said if I ever want a job or academic reference, that he's perfectly willing to write one and that if there's not an already existing fan club for me, he'd start one up and be the chief member :o:

Legend :love:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Edit: I think the other thing to bear in mind is that people can see past your OxCORT reports. I refused to go to my last Provost's Collection and instead went and saw the Provost privately and wailed at him for a good 90 minutes about how I felt my tutors were against me and didn't like me. The Provost was upset that I felt like this, pointed out the many ways in which there was evidence against this and said that whilst my collection reports had been a bit odd at times, he didn't think I was thick. (Clearly meant he's not as drunk as he appears in collections. Or that he's very good at being attentive whilst pissed :rofl: ) He even said if I ever want a job or academic reference, that he's perfectly willing to write one and that if there's not an already existing fan club for me, he'd start one up and be the chief member :o:

I love our Provost! Though I'm sure the next one will also be lovely :smile: Glad he was nice to you, and helpful, anyway.
Reply 4
It always annoyed me that I never got to see my reports.
Reply 5
No employer will ever want to see your OxCORT reports, surely?:confused: As for references, the kind of tutors you should be choosing as referees are the ones who know you well enough not to need to draw on your old reports from other tutors.
As far as I know, the only function of those reports is to tell you (and your moral tutor) where you are and identify any potential problems so they can be addressed. They'd be useless as a substitute for references, though, so I don't think it's likely that anyone would want to use them for that.
Original post by Festina lente
I love our Provost! Though I'm sure the next one will also be lovely :smile: Glad he was nice to you, and helpful, anyway.

I love him too! :love: Kinda glad I'm not there for the new one. It would have been weird :sadnod:

Original post by Teebs

I never saw mine either. I'm not sure my collection reports ever made it as far as OxCORT actually. Or maybe we just couldn't see them.

Can't think of many reports I would have actually wanted to have access to again, in any format :biggrin:
Rightly or wrongly, I've pretty much ignored my OxCort reports ever since my Lucretius tutor told me I was working at a 2:2/3rd level, but ended up getting 74 in my Mods paper. My tutors in general don't seem to bother much with writing them anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by cyberdrummer
Rightly or wrongly, I've pretty much ignored my OxCort reports ever since my Lucretius tutor told me I was working at a 2:2/3rd level, but ended up getting 74 in my Mods paper.
That doesn't have to be a contradiction, though, right?:dontknow: Not unless your tutor actually said you were only capable of working at 2.2/3rd level, which is very unlikely...
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I refused to go to my last Provost's Collection and instead went and saw the Provost privately and wailed at him for a good 90 minutes about how I felt my tutors were against me and didn't like me. The Provost was upset that I felt like this, pointed out the many ways in which there was evidence against this and said that whilst my collection reports had been a bit odd at times, he didn't think I was thick. (Clearly meant he's not as drunk as he appears in collections. Or that he's very good at being attentive whilst pissed :rofl: ) He even said if I ever want a job or academic reference, that he's perfectly willing to write one and that if there's not an already existing fan club for me, he'd start one up and be the chief member :o:

That's pretty good, but did you hear that the Warden of New College sent round an email with his Xbox live account, inviting students to add him for online gaming?! It came from his email, but whether it was actually him or not...
Original post by EdmundB
That's pretty good, but did you hear that the Warden of New College sent round an email with his Xbox live account, inviting students to add him for online gaming?! It came from his email, but whether it was actually him or not...

:rofl:

I hadn't heard that one, no :rofl:
Reply 11
Original post by Teebs

It's so annoying! Especially given my tutor is far too nice ever to mention the less positive bits, so I just get a general 'everything's pretty much OK...'
Reply 12
Original post by Teebs

I don't understand, why can't you see them? I've always seen all of mine and I assumed it was the same for everyone.
Reply 13
I had no idea what OxCORT was before reading this thread, and I'm a 4th year. Are they just for humanities people?
Original post by laeti
I had no idea what OxCORT was before reading this thread, and I'm a 4th year. Are they just for humanities people?

I don't think so: I thought they were for all subjects. Maybe Woosta's just useless with it :biggrin:

PS. Log onto Skype :poke:
Reply 15
Original post by tabbycat1

I don't understand, why can't you see them? I've always seen all of mine and I assumed it was the same for everyone.

:ditto:
We're always read them as a precursor to the "how have you found this term?" discussion in 8th week tutors' collections, then the tutorial office releases them on OxCORT normally in 9th if you want to look at them again. I'd guess it depends on college policy, and is essentially up to the senior tutor? :dontknow:
Reply 16

Maybe it's a Magdalen thing. :dontknow:
Reply 17
Original post by hobnob
No employer will ever want to see your OxCORT reports, surely?:confused: As for references, the kind of tutors you should be choosing as referees are the ones who know you well enough not to need to draw on your old reports from other tutors.
As far as I know, the only function of those reports is to tell you (and your moral tutor) where you are and identify any potential problems so they can be addressed. They'd be useless as a substitute for references, though, so I don't think it's likely that anyone would want to use them for that.

I just had to submit references to a year abroad programme which had to be from two "aufgewiesenen Akademiker" or professors. Since only one of my tutors fit that bill, I had to ask the guy who'd interviewed me but hasn't since taught me to write me a reference, so he did have to draw on OxCORT reports. There are times when it's useful.

In general though, they're just so that your DoS can see how you're doing and pick up on any issues, I think. They're not used as anything more than that.
Reply 18

It's up to the college whether you can see or not. Some let you see immediately, some have a delay and I think one or two don't let you see at all.
Reply 19
Original post by Teebs
It's up to the college whether you can see or not. Some let you see immediately, some have a delay and I think one or two don't let you see at all.

Actually, I think it's up to the tutor. There's a button the tutor can click which says "student may see this report". That's what the "Rel." column means, when it says yes or no. There's a couple from first year I only saw when my DoS showed me; I still can't click and see them, whereas others I can see instantly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending