The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Online gaming at Aber

Hey there,

I'm appling for Aber as one of my Unis, cardiff as the other (I've posted a topic like this in the subforums for there.) I am looking to start this coming academic year. Obviously the residences and halls have internet access, but I have a specific question about the policies of this which I can't really find on the Uni website, so I'm hoping people who are actually there can help me!

Currently I play the online game World of Warcraft, and basically want to know if I will be able to continue this in residences at Aber. Is this possible or is this kind of connection blocked?

Hopefully I can get some genuine answers from this, I'd appreciate it if people didn't bother posting just to say "Why go to Uni if you're just going to play games all day" as this is something that I can enjoy with moderation, allowing me to talk to friends from home.

So, will it be possible for me to continue playing World of Warcraft in residences at Aber?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, my flatmate does. You get allowed 20 ports to forward, and I think WoW takes 2 or 3.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by ryryryan
Yup, my flatmate does. You get allowed 20 ports to forward, and I think WoW takes 2 or 3.

Great, thank you for confirming. I appreciate getting an answer from someone who's there and knows about this firsthand.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the ports, would this require me to setup my connection in a specific way, or is it literally just a case of it working fine without having to do anything? :smile:
Reply 3
When games connect to servers they use certain ports, say addresses, to get all the information. Online games always use these and normal internet connections don't block them, but the uni does for security reasons (all uni's do). To allow them, in aber you go to firewall.aber.ac.uk, log in with your aber info and allow the ports it wants manually. A quick google search found that Wow needs TCP Ports 3724, 6112, 6881 - 6890, no UDP. It sounds complicated, but once your in uni and you look at this again when your on that link and signed in, it will make perfect sense. Basically, it's easy.
Reply 4
Thank you, you've been very helpful :smile: It's appreciated.
Reply 5
You just log in here:

https://firewall.aber.ac.uk/login.php

And put the ports in. Then wait til something like 8:25am or another random time and thats when they reset the firewall and all your ports will be allowed.
Reply 6
Okay, thank you for the help.

While this topic is still around, any idea if I can get Xbox Live working at Aber? Whether that'd mean connecting it directly or connecting via the computer. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
You can get XBL at Aber. Might have to do that Port-Forwarding thing to open up your NAS though.
While we're on it, I think I've read this to be true before, but just to confirm: all Aber halls have wifi access in bedrooms, right?
Reply 8
Unless it's changed since I was in halls last year, not every halls has wifi.
Reply 9
Original post by A Magician
Unless it's changed since I was in halls last year, not every halls has wifi.

Got any idea which halls don't have it? It's pretty important seeing as neither of my machines have ethernet ports and I'd rather not have to get a personal wifi router (and not even sure if that'd work/be allowed).
Reply 10
Trefloyne does. Not sure what doesn't.
Reply 11
Cwrt Mawr and Trefloyne are the ones I'm considering, so good to hear Trefloyne has it. Anyone know about Cwrt Mawr?
Reply 12
Original post by krayon
Cwrt Mawr and Trefloyne are the ones I'm considering, so good to hear Trefloyne has it. Anyone know about Cwrt Mawr?

Cwrt Mawr has WiFi. :smile:
Reply 13
I was in Cwrt Mawr Block M last year and didn't get any WiFi, unless they've put it in this year. I think certain parts of Rosser (close to Rosser lounge) and Penbryn have it, however they may have just put WiFi into all halls this year.

Also as for bringing your own router... if you know how to set it up with the Uni's network, it should be alright - a friend of mine had a server running in his room last year.
Reply 14
Oh ok cool. Hopefully there'll be something on the accommodation application about it, otherwise I guess I'll end up setting up my own router.
Thanks for the answers, guys. :smile:
Reply 15
I came in here to ask a question, but all seem to have already been answered! Thanks guys :smile:
Its only Trefloyne and some of Cwrt Mawr that have Wifi, setting up Wifi routers is allowed, but is far from easy due to the authentication the university uses.
Reply 17
Thanks for clarifying that. Do we have a say on this - e.g. On the accommodation application form, or put in a word with the Student Welcome Centre/hospitality people?
I think I'd prefer Cwrt Mawr but if it means a chance of no wifi then it has to be Trefloyne.
Reply 18
Ah, I had just assumed all of Cwrt Mawr does. Block C definately has WiFi anyway. :smile:
Reply 19
I think Cwrt Mawr Bar has WiFi and as Block C is right next to the bar, that could be the reason! xD

Quick Reply

Latest